• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Public folder permissions problem!

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Public folder permissions problem! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Public folder permissions problem! - 16.Apr.2006 4:36:05 AM   
BGiromini

Our company just recently migrated to Exchange 2003 Std on a Windows 2K3 Server from a 3rd party mail server. I am having permission issues when attempting to access Public Folders from within Systems Manager which in turn is causing problems in OWA(more on that in a minute). By default, Exadmin is set to Integration Authentication, but when my System Admin account clicks to see the folders inside PF, I am prompted for a password. ESM will not accept the password to an account that has had complete access before. When I go change Exadmin to allow for Basic Authentication and turn off Integrated Auth, I am still prompted for a password, but this time it accepts it and allows me to proceed with the same exact user account as before. Of course, it prompts me several times when navigating through properties and such, but I can make changes. Very strange. I think this started happening after installing SP2 a few days ago before we did the migration, but I am not too sure. It did at one time work with no problems.

On the OWA front, our Event log is filling up with warning just like this one (I have edited it for security reasons):

Event ID: 1030

Description:
********@***********.com failed an operation on folder /O=4RT6JU8EXU/OU=137FRGJU9E/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=******** ***** on database "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (**********5)" because the user did not have the following access rights:

'Delete' 'Read Property' 'Write Property' 'Create Message' 'View Item' 'Create Subfolder' 'Write Security Descriptor' 'Write Owner' 'Read Security Descriptor' 'Contact'

This error shows up almost exactly everything 5 minutes 4 times, once for each public folder. Now, for one particular user, I have him setup on IMAP so he can easily access his email from anywhere and because he likes to use Apple Mail. I guess the 5 minute intervals is what his system is setup to check email. It will also happen for any other user accessing OWA and when the sysadmin attempts to access the the Public Folders.

I followed the instruction given by Microsoft on recreating the Exadmin virtual directory and it did not help. I also created another SYS admin account and that didn't work either.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brandon Giromini
Post #: 1
RE: Public folder permissions problem! - 16.Apr.2006 5:24:14 AM   
BGiromini

Well, I found the answer to the Event ID 1030 problem, it had to do with logging turned to MAX in regard to Public Folder Access Control. Microsoft says it is a false warning. Explanation of Event 1030 warning. I still have the problem with being prompted for a password when trying to access the public folders.

I tried the following from http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win2000/Q_20554799.html:

quote:

Just to let you know we had exactly the same issue and this was resolved by modifying the IP addresses granted in the IIS Public and exAdmin folders. In our case the ExAdmin folder had the offending restriction with it being configured for Deny all with exception of 127.0.0.1. Setting this to Grant all resolved the issue, without needing to restart IIS etc.

There were no access restrictions on Exadmin, so this was no help.

< Message edited by BGiromini -- 16.Apr.2006 5:27:55 AM >

(in reply to BGiromini)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Public folder permissions problem! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter