Mobile Activesync issues (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General



Message


jbovenzi -> Mobile Activesync issues (18.Apr.2006 10:25:11 PM)


We are having issues with our Mobile devices successfully syncing with our Exchange server repeatedly.  When they fail we get an HTTP_500 error message on the device and the following in the Events Log on the server.
 
"Unexpected Exchange mailbox Server error: Server: [MarkAntony.UIB.local] User: [jbovenzi@uidaho.edu] HTTP status code: [501]. Verify that the Exchange mailbox Server is working correctly. "
 
We just recently migrated our Exchange services to a new server running Server 2003 and Exchange 2003.  We are running RPC-HTTP, no SSL at this time however we do wish to implement it down the road.  Our OWA is working fine as well.
 
Any thoughts as to what could be causing this?




Henrik Walther -> RE: Mobile Activesync issues (18.Apr.2006 11:33:47 PM)

This may help:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=886346




jbovenzi -> RE: Mobile Activesync issues (19.Apr.2006 12:16:48 AM)

OK, I did that and at first it looked like it was syncing and then would error out with a "SYNC_5" error on my personal smart phone.  I did the following "Deselect the datatype(usually calendar) and then reselect the datatype" via the USB cable connection and then I was able to sync OK a couple times.  Then I started getting "HTTP status code: [409]. Verify that the Exchange mailbox Server is working correctly" messages on the server, which then went back to [501] errors, and I'm still getting the HTTP_500 errors on the phone.
 
Is it possible that I didn't register the Exchange Activesync with Active Directory properly?
 




de.blackman -> RE: Mobile Activesync issues (19.Apr.2006 4:35:55 PM)

Can you confirm that the Exchange virtual directory in IIS has BASIC and INTEGRATED authentications selected? Make sure Anonymous is not selected there.




jbovenzi -> RE: Mobile Activesync issues (19.Apr.2006 4:48:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: de.blackman

Can you confirm that the Exchange virtual directory in IIS has BASIC and INTEGRATED authentications selected? Make sure Anonymous is not selected there.


Basic and Integrated were both checked. Anonymous was also checked so I unchecked it.  I'll see how that goes and let you know.

Thank  you,




jbovenzi -> RE: Mobile Activesync issues (19.Apr.2006 4:55:31 PM)

Also as a side note, I've started getting these emails from myself after making the SMTP reg edit.

Subject: utd
message body: 
//SCKL040A AwFqAAADxgADBQHDEAWxR/DeE9LTgGkXEsFjxgEB

Anyone have an idea what these are about and how to shut them off?




Pantherfan -> RE: Mobile Activesync issues (19.Apr.2006 10:34:17 PM)

just a quick question, you DO have a domain controller running windows 2003 in the same site as your exchange server right? Otherwise you are gonna have problems, especially with rpc over https :). Windows 2000 dc wont cut it hehe




jbovenzi -> RE: Mobile Activesync issues (19.Apr.2006 10:38:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pantherfan

just a quick question, you DO have a domain controller running windows 2003 in the same site as your exchange server right? Otherwise you are gonna have problems, especially with rpc over https :). Windows 2000 dc wont cut it hehe


All our servers are running 2003 so that can be ruled out.

Still getting the HTTP_500 errors from time to time on the mobile devices.  Any other suggestions? 

Thanks again!




jbovenzi -> RE: Mobile Activesync issues (20.Apr.2006 6:37:52 PM)

Is it possibly a time out issue due to bandwidth restrictions?  If so is there a way to change the time out settings?




jbovenzi -> RE: Mobile Activesync issues (27.Apr.2006 9:54:37 PM)

I've gone through all the articles I can find on the subject but I'm still lost.  I think I've narrowed it down to an authentication issue.  Here is what I've done so far.
 
I've configured IIS to support both the Kerberos protocol and the NTLM protocol for network authentication via the "cscript adsutil.vbs get w3svc/WebSite/root/NTAuthenticationProviders" command and verified it with the following response "NTAuthenticationProviders : (STRING) "Negotiate,NTLM". 
 
I've disable the certificate checking on my test mobile device by using the "disablecertchk.exe" tool.
 
I've edited the registry and added the SMTPProxy string value.  We have 3 SMTP address's for each of our Exchange users, do I need to change which one is the default email address in Active Directory?
 
Our OWA is set to use Forms Based Authentication.
 
I am only trying to use ActiveSync with SSL enabled and not OMA and have disabled OMA in Exchange System Manager.
 
What I am seeing happening on the mobile device is a Synchronization starting, and "Looking for changes" message and then it errors out which is why I believe it's a anthentication issue.
 
Any thoughts here?
 
Thank you.




bbiandov -> RE: Mobile Activesync issues (4.Aug.2006 5:12:34 PM)

Something caught my eye:  "Our OWA is set to use Forms Based Authentication.
Our OWA is set to use Forms Based Authentication"
 
I believe FBA and ActiveSync on the same server is NOT possbile because FBA disables integrated auth. and integrated auth. is required for active synch. I am talking about puttin a check mark in exch sys mgmr and then that propagating to IIS via the exhc sync service.
 
I have often seen the statement such as - enabling FBA will brake ActiveSync - if anyone has more details please share your thoughts
 
Thanks
~B




jbovenzi -> RE: Mobile Activesync issues (4.Aug.2006 5:18:43 PM)

We can delete or lock this thread since this is old history.  We have gone to an front end back end topology and now have OWA, OMA, ActiveSync as well as RPC over HTTPS working perfectly.

Thanks for the replies.





Page: [1]