Front end/Back end installation questions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation

jbovenzi -> Front end/Back end installation questions (10.May2006 12:44:04 AM)

When setting up a Front end/Back end Exchange server I understand that all the services will be running on the back end server while the front end acepts the requests from the clients.  My question is this, if the front end server should go down, does that mean ALL my services will be unusable?  My primary concern here is whether we will be able to connect to our Exchange mailboxes locally even if OWA and ActiveSync go down.  I'm assuming yes as the answer to this question but want to verify it.

Thank you,

pjhutch -> RE: Front end/Back end installation questions (10.May2006 11:47:40 AM)

No, not all services. Users uisng Outlook will connect to the backend servers anyway if they are using MAPI to connect to Exchange.
If users are using OWA, IMAP or POP3 via the FE servers, then service will be unavailable. To prevent this you could use 2 or more FE servers and use Network Load Balancing for FE access in case one server is down.

jbovenzi -> RE: Front end/Back end installation questions (10.May2006 4:36:46 PM)

Thank you, that's what I needed to know.

Page: [1]