• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Incoming mail to FE/BE exchange environment

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Incoming mail to FE/BE exchange environment Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Incoming mail to FE/BE exchange environment - 26.May2006 5:43:15 AM   
wildey

Hi,

I have stepped into an environment with two sites, one site has two exchange servers configured one as a front end server the the other Back End (Australia), at the other site is a single server configured as Back End (U.S). My predecessor configured two MX records for our environment the primary pointing to the FE server the other to the BE server in the U.S, the theory being should one site or the FE server fail mail will be redirected to the BE server in the U.S and routed appropriately from there. When this does occur mail is rejected by the U.S server and gives a "550 5.2.1" error.

I believe as a result of having a FE server configured that BE mail servers can then not accept mail sent from external servers into the organisation. Can anyone please confirm this is the case? If not is there anything in particular that I would need to do to get this working as a fail over option would be nice given the hardware for the FE server was obviously purchased with this fail over option in mind given it's lack of redundancy?

Any advice appreciatted.

Thanks
Shane
Post #: 1
RE: Incoming mail to FE/BE exchange environment - 1.Jun.2006 2:15:45 PM   
exchan

Hi Shane .Even in a FE-BE topology both the FE and BE Server will accept mails

You can try this thorough a telnet session

Telnet to the BE server on port 25

type in
ehlo domain.com

mail from:user@external domain.com
rcpt to:user@internaldomain.com
data
type in something and end with a .

the enter and a .

now check the user@internaldomain.com address Does he get the mail .If he does then it is not Exchange .It may be something else maybe a firewall.  Try this so that we can start eliminating the obvious issues

Regards

Saj

(in reply to wildey)
Post #: 2
RE: Incoming mail to FE/BE exchange environment - 5.Jun.2006 6:01:06 AM   
wildey

Hi Saj,

Thanks for the reply your suggestion helped push me in the right direction.

I have done what you suggested and received the below response from the remote failover Exchange server.

250 2.1.0 XXXXX@yahoo.com.au....Sender OK
550 5.2.1 Mail from 10.1.10.51 refused: spam site.

From this I was able to determine that Symantec Mail Security for Exchange RBL settings that were configured only on the BE servers (I know would make alot more sense on the FE) seemed to be blocking the imcoming mail directly to the BE server. I need to confirm exactly why this is happening but removing the RBL has resolved the issue.

Thanks
Shane

(in reply to exchan)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Incoming mail to FE/BE exchange environment Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter