• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Public folders Default and ExchangeV1 -2003 Migration

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Public folders Default and ExchangeV1 -2003 Migration Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Public folders Default and ExchangeV1 -2003 Migration - 31.May2006 5:45:03 PM   
tatianna

RE: Article
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Migrating-Exchange2000-Exchange-2003-Hardware.html
V. Configure Exchange Server 2003 to Host Public folders and Other Roles

I am in process of migrating from exc 2000 to exc 20003 on separate server/

I have successfully installed exchange and moved a few mailboxes onto new server without problems. Tested mail inbound and outbound with no problems.
Now in process of replicating public folders.

I did note that the article stated that

'You should find that the Public folders called default and ExchangeV1 are already replicated to the new server'

I have not yet got these folders on my new server. At what point do I see these? Are they automatically replicated or do I need to manually replicate form old server?

Thanks

Post #: 1
RE: Public folders Default and ExchangeV1 -2003 Migration - 8.Jun.2006 4:46:20 PM   
lmeyer

I'm just at the same point as you:
I'm in progress of migrating ex2000 (on win2k sbs) to ex2003sp2 on a win2003 server.
I have successfully installed ex2003, and I followed all the steps for moving the public folders. I also migrated one mailbox for testing reasons.
While the moved mailbox works neat, my Public folders do not replicate at all, even though I followed the tutorial you did. I also did not find the two folders called default and Exchange V1. Were you able meanwhile to solve your problems with the public folder migration?
How did you do it?

Thanks for your help.

Lorenz

(in reply to tatianna)
Post #: 2
RE: Public folders Default and ExchangeV1 -2003 Migration - 26.Jun.2006 10:52:37 PM   
Manning

New here. Hello.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat. Exchange 03 is installed and seems to run just fine, but I don't see Default and ExchangeV1 in the public folders on the new server. Did either of you find a resolution?

If I look at System Folders under Aministrative Groups\OrgName\Folders\Public Folders I can see both Default and ExchangeV1 under schema-root, but they don't appear to replicate to anything and they don't show up under the Public Folders for the Public Folder Store for my new server. Is this normal or did I mangle something - see next paragraph ->

The concern I have with my situation is the 2003 Server on which I installed Exchange 2003 had an install in the past that was never completed and was successfully uninstalled, at least I am pretty sure it was. I suspect maybe something got left behind or messed up as a result (duh). Should I back off this move completely and start over from a fresh Win Server 2003 install?

< Message edited by Manning -- 29.Jun.2006 9:06:58 PM >

(in reply to lmeyer)
Post #: 3
RE: Public folders Default and ExchangeV1 -2003 Migration - 27.Jun.2006 5:01:39 PM   
lmeyer

What I did (I don't recall every detail)
I accessed the public folders under Servers\Server Name\Public Folder Store(Server Name)\Public Folders
There I deactivated the replication for each public folder. After I reactivated the replication

Magically everything worked then. I never understood why it worked now and not before. I didn't see a difference. Don't desesperate, it will work eventually. This is just like much of Microsoft: a black box. When it works, you don't know why and your happy. When it works not, you don't know why neither.

(in reply to Manning)
Post #: 4
RE: Public folders Default and ExchangeV1 -2003 Migration - 29.Jun.2006 5:38:01 PM   
Manning

Hmm. So they just all of the sudden showed up? I still don't see anything other than the ones that seem to have been left behind by the aborted install from a few weeks ago, prior to this attempt and they seem to be homed to the current E2000 server. Do the ones on your server have any size to them or contain any number of items? Mine both show 0 size and 0 items, is that normal?

(in reply to lmeyer)
Post #: 5
RE: Public folders Default and ExchangeV1 -2003 Migration - 29.Jun.2006 5:53:28 PM   
tatianna

Imeyer, when you accessed  Servers\Server Name\Public Folder Store(Server Name)\Public Folders did you right click on each folder and remove the spublci folder and then add it again?

or did u  change replicate interval to never and then back to always on?

(in reply to tatianna)
Post #: 6
RE: Public folders Default and ExchangeV1 -2003 Migration - 29.Jun.2006 9:27:56 PM   
lmeyer

So what I did:
On my old server, I right-clicked every public folder, then in the replication tab I added the new server, and chose to replicate always, with the priority urgent. Then the folders replicated quite fast (less than 5 minitues). First they were all empty on the new server, but then they filled up. Once every folder was replicated an the two servers, I entered again the replication tab in the properties of each folder, and I removed the old server.
As I said, the first time I did it nothing happened. The second time it worked. I tried many things meanwhile, but none that I could tell it was the reason for making it work. Sorry, I don't remember all I tried.
Most importantly I followed the tutorial mentionned above by tatianna, and the MS Knowledge base articles that are cited in that article.
I hope this will help you.
With best regards
Lorenz

(in reply to tatianna)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Public folders Default and ExchangeV1 -2003 Migration Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter