• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

550 No such user

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> 550 No such user Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
550 No such user - 5.Jun.2006 7:02:50 PM   
wesr

Occasionally I have users who contact me about the following error occuring when they send to internal users.

550 No such user (insert username or groupname) Cached lookup 

I have resolved this error buy changing their Exchange client to the first or primary account on their Outlook clients.  Each user has 2 accounts, one account for Internal which is the Exchange account, and one account for external mail (pop3) this is another server not on our network.

I have a similar problem occuring at the same time when a user tries to send to an internal group, they will get the same 550 error.  However if they expand the groupname and send to each individual user the mail goes thru.

Suggestions as to identify and elminate this error would be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: 550 No such user - 6.Jun.2006 10:25:46 AM   
zbnet

550 looks a bit like an SMTP error rather than an Exchange error - which would suggest that the clients are trying the second profile (an ISP account, perhaps?) rather than the internal Exchange server profile.

I'm curious why you'd have all your clients with multiple profiles - how complicated is this?  And difficult for your users as well.  Much better to have everything handled by Exchange, with an IMS to talk SMTP to the Internet.  This is how Exchange is designed to work.

(in reply to wesr)
Post #: 2
RE: 550 No such user - 14.Jun.2006 4:38:25 PM   
mltnetadmin

I'm having the same problem.

The reason I have two profiles was that the previous admin did not have an exchange server and we only used our domain email (pop3) as our means of communication.

Exchange was brought in at a later date and for primarily calendar use and internal colaboration.  Not sure why smtp wasnt incorporated in to Exchange 5.5.  2003 is on the menu but not untill next budget.

Regardless of that fact, I'd like some insight to this problem as well. 

(in reply to zbnet)
Post #: 3
RE: 550 No such user - 20.Jun.2006 5:12:55 PM   
zbnet

My insight into your problem is that you are trying to use the software in a way that it isn't designed for.  That's why you're having problems.

Install an IMS, and ask your ISP to deliver your email via SMTP to your Exchange server - then all your client profile problems will disappear.

(in reply to mltnetadmin)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> 550 No such user Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote