• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Not able to install MS Exchange 2003 on AD

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Not able to install MS Exchange 2003 on AD Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Not able to install MS Exchange 2003 on AD - 13.Jun.2006 10:47:56 AM   
nishad

Hi!
Let me give you detail of my network and things that I had done earlier.
I have a whole MS network, with one file server running Windows 2003 server, and two ADC's running MS advance server 2000 and 20 clients running windows XP.

I installed MS Exchange 2003 in one of the ADC, which has Windows advance server 2000 with AD installed. I was able to install it properly and deploy it. However after few days I needed that PC to use it for surf control, therefore I had to remove Exchange from that PC. I first uninstalled Exchange and then removed AD from there.

Now the real problem aroused, when I tried to install MS Exchange in another ADC running Windows Advance server 2000 with AD installed.
When I run "/forestprep" in that machine I get the following error..

"The component "Microsoft Exchange Forest Preparation" cannot be assigned the action "ForestPrep" because - To install the first Exchange server in a domain, or to run setup in "/ForestPrep" mode, you must be an Exchange Full Administrator at the organizational level. You must use an account that has been granted the Full Exchange Administrator role on the Exchange organization using the Exchange Administrative Delegation Wizard."

While uninstallation I did not run "/removeorg". Can this be the problem?? When I try to run "/removeort" command I get the same message as above .....

"The component "Microsoft Exchange Forest Preparation" ...............................................Administrative Delegation Wizard."

I ran this command when I was logged in as administrator, which is a member of Enterprise Admin, Schema Admin and its a member of other groups too. I have another account with Enterprise Admin and Schema Admin and even then I get the same error.

I am in a really problem; any assistance will highly be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Not able to install MS Exchange 2003 on AD - 13.Jun.2006 4:29:25 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Do you know (it wasn't clear) what account you used to actually install Exchange with on the server in the first place.
You'll need that.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to nishad)
Post #: 2
RE: Not able to install MS Exchange 2003 on AD - 14.Jun.2006 9:00:37 AM   
nishad

I used administrator account to install Exchange. It was successful in the ADC, However I needed that machine for some other purpose, so I had to uninstall Exchange and AD installed on it. After which I tried to install Exchange in another ADC, but I could not install it. Every time I tried installing with administrator account (All the required rights given like Entriprise admin, Schema admin etc.), i got the above mentioned error. I even tried with another user ID which was member of Enterprice admin and Secema admin. Even then the same thing happened. It's been more that a month still my issue is not resolved. 

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Not able to install MS Exchange 2003 on AD - 21.Jun.2006 5:45:48 PM   
englitob

I'm getting the same thing.  I had to demote the server to a member server to fix some file replication issues, once that was fixed, I tried to re-install exchange and I am getting the same thing.  I too used the Administrator's account to install and using the same to try and re-install.

(in reply to nishad)
Post #: 4
RE: Not able to install MS Exchange 2003 on AD - 21.Jun.2006 10:16:21 PM   
englitob

Spoke to Microsoft about this and here's what fixed mine.  Make sure the support tools are installed on the server.  They can be found on the Windows Server CD support\tools folder.  Run the SUPTOOLS.MSI to install them.  From the Support Tools Command Prompt type adsiedit.msc.  This will bring up a Snap In console.  Expand Configuration - expand CN=Configuration,DC=<Your Domain Controller Name> - expand CN=Services - expand CN=Microsoft Exchange.  There should be two listings in there.  One is CN=Active Directory Connections and the other is CN=First Organization (this name may be different if during exchange setup you didn't take the defaults and specified the name.  Delete the CN=First Organization.  Then try to run the forrestprep, domainprep and install.

Good Luck!  Hope this helps!!

(in reply to englitob)
Post #: 5
RE: Not able to install MS Exchange 2003 on AD - 22.Jun.2006 6:45:55 PM   
Killerbe

The forrestprep and domainprep command are used to extend the active directory schema.

After reading this topic i was puzzeled by the following questin:

In the first instalation you ran these commands to extend the AD schema, than you removed exchange.
But the change you made to the schema can not be ondone.

So why do you need to run forrestprep and domain prep again?
The schema is allready extended for exchange

I want to have a clear understanding howe it all works, so please enlight me.

(in reply to englitob)
Post #: 6
RE: Not able to install MS Exchange 2003 on AD - 22.Jun.2006 10:03:17 PM   
englitob

In my case I had installed the eval exchange server and when we decided to purchase and I got the licensed software, I chose to format the ADC after uninstalling the eval version.  When I tried to install on a fresh server 2003 load, it would fail no matter if I tried forrestprep, domainprep or setup.  For some reason after uninstalling the eval version, the remnants of the eval domain weren't completely cleared out of AD.

(in reply to Killerbe)
Post #: 7
RE: Not able to install MS Exchange 2003 on AD - 28.Jun.2006 6:54:18 AM   
sunligthpal

Estension of Schema is one of the things done by forestperp.

Besides that it creates Exchange ORganzation and sets permission for Full Exchange Administrator

SO everytime you delete Exchange organization from Config Partition you need to Run forestprep again

this time it won't import or update the shcema, since it has been already done

In case anybody further clarification catch me at sunlightpal@msn.com

Regards,

Dipak

Regards,

Dipak Sharma

(in reply to englitob)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Not able to install MS Exchange 2003 on AD Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter