• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

SMTP timeout - solved!

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> SMTP timeout - solved! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SMTP timeout - solved! - 23.Jun.2006 8:05:04 PM   
joshh385

I wanted to share a problem, and the subsequent solution, with you all in case someone else has this same problem.

I noticed yesterday that an email I sent to a friend of mine was sitting in my retry queue on my mail gateway. As it happens, the mail server at the company my friend works for is one I manage on a contract basis, so I connected with remote desktop to check out that exchange box. I could see when the message was trying to be delivered it would show a SMTP connection from my gateway, but it would sit there for a long time and finally disconnect; no message delivered.

I tried telnet from my gateway to that mail server. Submitting a test message worked fine until I entered RCPT TO:postmaster@domain.com... it just sat there. Finally it timed out.

Well, it occurred to me that I had a couple connection filtering blacklists in the message delivery options. Sure enough, one of them was dead; no longer responding. I removed it and wouldn't you know, the message was delivered instantly.

It's one of those things that's a simple fix, but it was ages ago that I set those blacklist addresses. I didn't even think to go there until I realized what the smtp server was waiting for. Hopefully this helps someone...
Post #: 1
RE: SMTP timeout - solved! - 26.Jun.2006 3:41:06 AM   
derrick.chong

Can i know where is the connection filtering blacklists in the message delivery options that you mention about. Thank you for your sharing.

(in reply to joshh385)
Post #: 2
RE: SMTP timeout - solved! - 28.Jun.2006 12:36:51 AM   
joshh385

In system manager expand global settings, then right click, properties on Message Delivery. Check the connection filtering tab and see what's listed in the listbox.

(in reply to derrick.chong)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> SMTP timeout - solved! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter