• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

newb help..

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> newb help.. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
newb help.. - 26.Jun.2006 7:48:55 PM   
ccomm

I was wondering if there was a quick and dirty article or forum post that would advise what is exactly needed to host your own email.  I currently installed 03' xchange and have internal email and the ability to send email out over the net with no problem - just can't find its way back home..  I understand i will need to contact my isp concerning the MX record, but i am clueless what else is required. 
Specs:
T1 from isp
Pix 506E firewall
03' server , DNS and Wins, AD
03' xchange (separate machine)

**let me know if I have left anything off.  Thanks for your help in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: newb help.. - 26.Jun.2006 8:12:34 PM   
tiallen

N00B -

Once your ISP or whoever hosts your external DNS has added an MX record pointing to your exchange server, hosts on the internet will route mail to it for your domain.

You mention the firewall but not how your network is configured... obviously if the exchange server does not have a public IP address, you'll need to forward port 25 on a public IP address to the exchange servers IP. Verify that the SMTP virtual server in exchange is configured correctly and listening on that particular IP (you can telnet to port 25 to verify this, there are plenty of tutorials avail with the SMTP session verbage).

At this point your exchange organization will be receiving inbound mail for your domain. It will start bouncing though if it isn't aware that it is autorative for that domain, so be sure you configure the recipient update service... There is a tutorial on this site that outlines that process.

That should be enough to get you started... Best of luck!

-Tim

Tim Allen
http://www.linkedin.com/in/timallen

(in reply to ccomm)
Post #: 2
RE: newb help.. - 27.Jun.2006 5:44:26 PM   
ccomm

Thanks tiallen..

I'll be working on this week and let you how it goes and I'm sure more questions.

(in reply to tiallen)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> newb help.. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter