• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

No incoming mail, but outgoing is OK

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> No incoming mail, but outgoing is OK Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No incoming mail, but outgoing is OK - 6.Jul.2006 1:15:52 AM   
Shane72

Hi there,
This is my first shot at firing up a company email setup with Exchange.  I have a small organization-- 5 users, with SBS.  They all have user & email accounts and are configured to connect to the server in Outlook.  I've added a MX record with their domain registrar for mail to point to the external IP address of the server.  I can SEND mail just fine to outside accounts, but I cannot seem to receive mail.  In fact, when I send a message to one of these accounts from my personal email account, the messages comes back to me but appears as if I wrote myself and not this new account I'm trying to set up.  In other words, there is no error message-- it just looks like a new message that I have addressed to myself, rather than to the Exchange user.  Can anyone tell me where to begin to troubleshoot this?

Thank you!
Shane White
Post #: 1
RE: No incoming mail, but outgoing is OK - 6.Jul.2006 6:23:10 AM   
jscheef

Shane,

Are you sure you are actually sending to the 'other you' at the client site and that your own address book is not addressing the message to your account? Have you tested from other email accounts? Set up a Yahoo address and test to and from there. AIMmail can be useful as AOL is fussy about receiving email.

The default setup for SBS is to receive mail from a POP account. Did you turn this off and enable SMTP receiving? You do have a static IP address, right? Make sure your server has proper reverse DNS pointing to your server's external FQDN. And have your ISP add SPF records for good measure.

Jim

(in reply to Shane72)
Post #: 2
RE: No incoming mail, but outgoing is OK - 6.Jul.2006 4:24:26 PM   
Shane72

Jim,

I'm definitely sure that I'm sending to the new account. I have tested it from other email accounts as well -- some phenomenon. 

I don't believe I turned off POP and turned on SMTP-- where do I find this setting?

I've included screenshots of my DNS setup, as I don't have anything specified under Reverse DNS lookup.  Perhaps someone could advise me on that. Thank you!

(in reply to jscheef)
Post #: 3
RE: No incoming mail, but outgoing is OK - 6.Jul.2006 9:49:23 PM   
Shane72

Additional note:

I DID find where SMTP is activated and POP3 is disabled, so that part looks good...

Thanks!
Shane

(in reply to Shane72)
Post #: 4
RE: No incoming mail, but outgoing is OK - 6.Jul.2006 9:58:38 PM   
Shane72

One more thing...

I ran dnsreport.com on the domain (riverlandtitle.net) and everything was "PASS"....which makes me more confused. 

Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide some insight...

-Shane 

(in reply to Shane72)
Post #: 5
RE: No incoming mail, but outgoing is OK - 25.Sep.2006 11:41:55 PM   
helpmeplease

Hi,

Here's a checklist of things, I would follow when I've had problems with incoming emails on my SBS server.

1.  Is a firewall running somewhere on the LAN/ISP connection? 
2.  If your using an ISP to get on to the Internet, is the ISP blocking port 25.  If so, change the port no on the SMTP Connector in the System Manager.
3.  Check router settings to ensure that Port forwarding is correct e.g. correct IP Address and Port no are running.
4.  Double, Double check your (Internet) DNS settings - something may be screwly at the Internet DNS level.

FAQ attached for Point 4:
----
How can I check to see if DNS is working?

A frequent mistake is to use "ping" to test DNS. On Windows NT/2K and Unix, there are tools called "nslookup" and "dig".
- Before you contact ZoneEdit, you can check to see whether or not your registrar is pointing your domain to the correct nameservers. The "whois" information is often wrong, and should not be used. Go to a command prompt/console and enter the command:
nslookup -type=NS yourdomainname.com
If the response does not contain all of the correct name servers, then you should contact your registrar and have them fix it.
- To check to see whether a particular server is responding, you can add the server name:
nslookup www.yourdomainname.com ns1.zoneedit.com
If the response has a bunch of 'root-servers' that means the server does not know about the domain name and is referring you elsewhere.
- To look for a certain record type, like the "MX" record or the "SOA" record, you can use the parameter "-type=MX" or "-type=SOA".
nslookup -type=MX yourdomainname.com
- If you don't have access to "nslookup" or "dig", you can use our online DNS lookup tool instead. It works for all domain names - not just zoneedit ones.

---
If the DNS settings are working try http://www.zoneedit.com/smtp.html.  This site will attempt to send an email to your server from the Internet, if you get a Port 25 error - start checking points 1,2,3 - anything else probably points to DNS.

Good luck.  Hope this helps.

Helpmeplease.

(in reply to Shane72)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> No incoming mail, but outgoing is OK Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter