• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Shared Calendar in Public Folders

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Shared Calendar in Public Folders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shared Calendar in Public Folders - 7.Jul.2006 9:23:39 PM   
indyjones16

So, from what I've gathered through my own trials and tests, not to mention reading most of the posts in this forum, is that Outlook2k3/Ex2k3 shared calendaring kinda stinks. I've messed with Office 2k7 connecting to our ex2k3 box and we've gotten closer to what we would like to accomplish as far as sharing meeting info and out-of-office dates. But, it still isn't quite what we need. Aside from purchasing a third party add-on (cons: cost, yet another piece of software, etc.), does anyone have or know of a guide to get the absolute most out of ol2k3/ex2k3?

Thanks for any help or direction...
Post #: 1
RE: Shared Calendar in Public Folders - 11.Jul.2006 4:24:39 PM   
djlynas

Depends what exactly you want to to?

(in reply to indyjones16)
Post #: 2
RE: Shared Calendar in Public Folders - 11.Jul.2006 4:46:11 PM   
indyjones16

We are a small company and right now we are using an excel spreadsheet in a shared folder to track who's out of the office (day -off) or at a client site. Since we all use Exchange and Outlook, it only makes sense to use a public folder with a shared calendar for filling in days-off(who/when), client site visits (who/when/where), if we have clients coming to the office for training/visits (who/when), etc. Right now we can fill-in that information, but it only displays as busy and unless you were invited, you cannot see the details. We would like to enter the information without having to invite everyone to the event and still allow other users to see that the employee is out, at a client, or training in-house with a client.

I'm sure there is more that other employees would like/expect to do with the shared calendar. For now, that's the basic premise for what we need.

Any information is greatly appreciated...

Thanks

(in reply to djlynas)
Post #: 3
RE: Shared Calendar in Public Folders - 12.Jul.2006 10:35:14 AM   
djlynas

What i would do in your situation is just set up a user, go into there account and share thier calendar with everyone, and make it so they can add events. Then the users need to open the shared calendar, and they can add any events to it i.e. when there out of office. Viewing the calendar is simple because once you open a shared calendar it is always there when you click on your calendar tab in outlook.

this seemed the simplest way to me and works very well.

Hope this makes sence to you

Dave.

Post #: 4
RE: Shared Calendar in Public Folders - 12.Jul.2006 2:18:00 PM   
enghps1

There is a better hidden method by using Group Schedules (not to be confused with individual user's schedules)

Click on your shared pub folder calendar and you'll notice a Schedules Icon appears in the OL taskbar. You then create a new group, add the members and hey presto this will show free/busy and by controlling mailbox read permissions it allows you to configure users to view other people's calendars. I posted something on this a couple of weeks back before I had figured it out for myself so hopefully this should save you time and effort. 

(in reply to djlynas)
Post #: 5
RE: Shared Calendar in Public Folders - 12.Jul.2006 4:08:33 PM   
indyjones16

"by controlling mailbox read permissions it allows you to configure users to view other people's calendars"

Are you talking about going to the permissions tab on the users mailbox calendar? Currently, there is only Default and Anonymous and the perms are set to None. Would I have to set the Default to Read?

Also, we started messing with the Group Schedules. Some people may not understand or want to have to click on another button on the taskbar...
I was hoping that what is displayed in the group schedule could be displayed on the actual calendar...

(in reply to enghps1)
Post #: 6
RE: Shared Calendar in Public Folders - 13.Jul.2006 8:49:31 PM   
enghps1

No I meant their domain account, Exchange Advanced tab, Mailbox Rights. This will allow each individual's OWN calendar to show in the Group Schedule but you dont need to edit these permissions unless you want members to view other peoples calendar contents, and not just free/busy status. This seems the simplest way

Post #: 7
RE: Shared Calendar in Public Folders - 13.Jul.2006 9:07:03 PM   
indyjones16

i see what you're saying.

i was just hoping that the default view of the shared calendar would automatically display the 'owner' of the item and the subject without having to go through group schedules. as it is now, only the subject is displayed (providing you have perms to read it).

Thanks for the tips... i'll keep banging away at it.

(in reply to enghps1)
Post #: 8
RE: Shared Calendar in Public Folders - 16.Jan.2007 10:49:09 AM   
mikepackman

We are after exactly the same thing. I'm currently getting our users up and running using Group Schedules (as someone posted here). It's quite good (be able to edit the views would be even better though).

I use a program called setperm to make en masse acl changes for our users (for the defaults). Do a google for it, it's really easy to use although you'll need the accompanying DLLs so read the readme...

If anyone finds a way of either remotely deploying or changing the views of group schedules please let us know.

Many thanks

Mike

Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Shared Calendar in Public Folders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter