• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Finding folder path by its proxy address

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Public Folders >> Finding folder path by its proxy address Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Finding folder path by its proxy address - 11.Jul.2006 11:10:15 AM   
prtg

When creating address for public folders I sometimes get "address already exists in organization" message. It would be easy to find the folder if I had something less than about 60000 public folders. For example, i need to find folder which already has address itservices@domain.biz. By using ADUC or freeware util ADFIND I can get displayname of the folder not the path (only legacy path, which in most cases isn't valid anymore - a known issue caused by migration from Exchange 5.5). So in this example I would have returned about seven folders with name IT SERVICES and no idea about where they are located in Public Folders structure. Do you have some good practice about finding folder along with its path by knowing only it's proxy address?

Sincerely,

Janis Irbe

------------

Update: by using pfdavadmin utility export feature I found which folder should be bound with that particular address. However, Exchange System Manager shows that it isn't mail-enabled. I forced mail-enable and got address like itservices7@domain.biz and no other. So seems that old addresses are accumulating when folders are being mail-disabled. Any ideas how to free them for further use?

< Message edited by prtg -- 11.Jul.2006 12:05:46 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Finding folder path by its proxy address - 23.Jul.2006 12:56:10 PM   
e2k7roop

Hello,

Whenever you mail enable a PF a corresponding directory object for that PF is created in AD. That location is the "Microsoft Exchange System Objects" (MESO) container in Active Directory Users and Computers.....visible in ADUC by enabling the 'Advanced Features'.

Thus whenever you mail disable a PF, sometimes the directory object is not deleted from the MESO container. Thus before you mail enable a PF, make sure you don't have an entry for that PF in the MESO container and if present then delete it and then mail enable the PF.

Don't worry, deleting the object from the MESO container will not delete the actuall PF, the object in the MESO container is just a directory object so that its visible in the GAL and thus be able to send mail to it.

Regards,
e2k7roop.

(in reply to prtg)
Post #: 2
RE: Finding folder path by its proxy address - 20.Sep.2006 12:00:26 PM   
Donk

Hello,

I have some question about Microsoft Exchange System Objects. I can find this OU, see there the names from some Public Folders, but in this PF is nothing /loged un DC, whre is MS Exchange installed/. They are empty. But in MS Outlook i can see messages in this PF.  Is possible to see the content of the PF in AD Users and Computers Console or only by force of Microsoft Exchange System Manager and Outlook?
Sorry for my english

(in reply to e2k7roop)
Post #: 3
RE: Finding folder path by its proxy address - 25.May2017 11:29:33 PM   
Hong91

Nice! thank you so much! Thank you for sharing. Your blog posts are more interesting and informative. I think there are many people like and visit it regularly, including me. hotmail sign out | hotmail log out

hotmail email login | hotmail account login | gmail sign up

(in reply to Donk)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Public Folders >> Finding folder path by its proxy address Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter