Exchange 2000 Enterprise to 2003 Standard (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation

wshelton -> Exchange 2000 Enterprise to 2003 Standard (13.Jul.2006 7:18:55 PM)

I've got a client that for whatever reason is running Exchange 2000 Enterprise edition (installed by a their former IT contractor). We're working on getting them upgraded to Windows 2003/Exchange 2003. Enterprise edition is much more expensive than Standard edition, and they don't even need the extra features in enterprise edition.

I know I can't simply put the 2003 standard disk in and run the upgrade on the same server since technically it would 'downgrade' from enterprise to standard.

Is there any way that I can move them from 2000 Enterprise to 2003 Standard?

Arne Lovius -> RE: Exchange 2000 Enterprise to 2003 Standard (13.Jul.2006 11:19:01 PM)

Hi,

Rather than do an in-place upgrade, I'd put in Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 server. If the original hardware is to be re-used, do a two part migration. Part one to a temporary server, and part two to the original hardware with a clean install.

This way will also result in the minimum downtime for clients as you could move the mailboxes out of hours to the new server, then leave the old server in place so that MAPI redirection does its thing and when all clients and public folders have rehomed to the new server then decomission the old server.

Cheers

choppol -> RE: Exchange 2000 Enterprise to 2003 Standard (14.Jul.2006 12:49:12 AM)

The only way to downgrade is uninstall enterprise and then install  standard but it depend on your client's budget it would be best to do a "swing" installation much like Arne is stating else what you can do is have a loan box and move all the mailboxes fsmo roles on the original box.

Rebuild the original box to standard and move the mailboxes and fsmo back. This gives you 2 benefits 1) clean server and 2) the config is to your liking but the only down side is it will take time and it might cost the client some $$$.

It is pretty much straight forward for I have done this several times and it work out pretty much as plannned.

Page: [1]