• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> General >> RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 31.Aug.2006 3:17:16 AM   
DrShinder

Hi Korto,

It looks like we're sunk until Exchange 2007 SP1.

Oh well, many companies don't deploy until SP1 for any new product anyhow. I usually don't subscribe to this philosophy, but I will for Exchange 2007.
Tom

(in reply to korto55)
Post #: 21
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 4.Sep.2006 4:11:21 AM   
choppol

I guess everyone shouldn't be surprise when near all version of MS apps/os comes up that they move things around or exchange the GUI just to look different such like toyota cars.

(in reply to korto55)
Post #: 22
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 30.Nov.2006 10:58:05 AM   
DrShinder

I'm wondering if they'll at least put some functionality improvements in the RTM. Do they really think that people are happy to learn a typo ridden CLI and upgrade to a move complex system than Exchange 2003? It'll be interesting to see what the upgrade progress will be.

Tom

(in reply to choppol)
Post #: 23
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 9.Dec.2006 10:17:30 AM   
DrShinder

I wonder what "roll-up" will include a functional user interface?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=140

Tom

(in reply to DrShinder)
Post #: 24
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 10.Dec.2006 5:45:48 AM   
Henrik Walther

Because Exchange 2007 has been developed using managed code it's actually a relatively simple task to add extra functionality to the GUI, so expect this to happen, if sufficient customer feedback exists for a particular feature.

HTH
Henrik Walther
Lead Moderator/author
MSExchange.org

Follow me on Twitter!

(in reply to DrShinder)
Post #: 25
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 2.Jan.2007 11:07:24 AM   
DrShinder

Has anyone found any third parties yet that have made enhancements to the Exchanage UI so that you can fully support all mail protocols and configure machine and user certificate settings, like you used to be able to do with Exchange 2003?

Thanks!
Tom

Protect Your Exchange Servers with ISA Firewalls!
www.isaserver.org
http://blogs.isaserver.org/shinder

(in reply to Henrik Walther)
Post #: 26
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 3.Jan.2007 3:52:28 PM   
kikistan

I do agree globally and especially for IMAP ..... i'm amazed of the lack of support for this (and POP too BTW)

(in reply to DrShinder)
Post #: 27
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 9.Jan.2007 3:08:02 PM   
RobertSeattle

I think both Exchange 2007 and Office 2007 violate one of the unwritten rules of software UI  - don't make experienced, loyal users in prior versions of a product feel like total incompetents the first time they try the new product. 

(in reply to DrShinder)
Post #: 28
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 15.Jan.2007 9:25:44 PM   
Blackduke77

personally, I think Microsoft have done a great job with Exchange 2007, yes there a things missing in the product but lets not forget it has been re-written from the ground up and is now in a class of  it's own. There is only a certain amount you can do within a time scale and you cannot rewrite a complete system and ship it with all the features that the previous system evolved to have.
This reminds me of when Exchange 2003 first came out, I seem to remember having the same conversation.
As for the GUI, it works for me, I am a GUI man and have found it hard learning EMS, however i am learning it, there are some great examples out there. and I know the MS will continue to add functionality to EMC. I just wish they would do certificate management first!!!

This Version of Exchange is going to be a learning curve for us all but I promise when it clicks in you will love it.

my two pennies worth

Robbie

(in reply to RobertSeattle)
Post #: 29
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 20.Mar.2007 11:07:16 AM   
DrShinder

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobertSeattle

I think both Exchange 2007 and Office 2007 violate one of the unwritten rules of software UI  - don't make experienced, loyal users in prior versions of a product feel like total incompetents the first time they try the new product. 

Hi Robert,

Excellent point! I still have no idea how to configure POP3S and IMAP4S support. The UI is totally worthless when it comes to creating a secure configuration. You'd think with SD3+C they would have put a premium on security and make security configuration as simple as possible. Go figure.

Tom

(in reply to RobertSeattle)
Post #: 30
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 21.Mar.2007 12:01:54 AM   
dloweqsc

There had to be a tremendous amount of pressure to release the product as it is today.  Why did they do it?  What was the rush?  Was it holding up other platforms / applications?

---

For a single, large organization, I can see the advantages of moving to 2007.  Yea, I have to learn some 3 line long command lines to do simple things like set up a relay or turn on IMAP, but spending some time building scripts for day-to-day provisioning makes sense.  Being able to pack more mailboxes on a 64 bit server also helps.

My company however manages a lot of small (less than 50) seat Exchange servers and the cost of supporting Ex2K7 is way too high for these companies.

---

Small Business Server 2003R2 is Microsoft's most expensive product.  Trying to do a migration, or, having some schumk try to set one up when he/she has no idea what Active Directory, DNS, let alone Exchange is makes cleaning up / upgrading SBS a very expensive product for small businesses.  It's very easy to cost justify a full Win2K3 and Ex2K3 license for companies bigger than 20 people.

Imange what the new Small Business Server with Exchange 2007 will be like to support...  I can't wait.

Darryl

(in reply to DrShinder)
Post #: 31
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 21.Mar.2007 12:49:32 PM   
DrShinder

Hi Darryl,

Exactly. Can you image the "game boy" turned "consultant" setting up an Exchange 2007 box using God only knows command line arguments and having no idea if he typed the right thing in or used the right commands or made a typo? Then you get to make it an avocation to learn the Exchange command shell to try to troubleshoot these issues, which with Exchange 2003 were really simple affairs of looking at a few dialog boxes in the GUI?

Monad is great for the large enterprise admins and dedicated Exchange consultants, but it seems like they're not interested in the SMB. There are competing solutions that SMBs might use that are much easier to manage and support.

I really hope that 2007 SP1 brings the UI in line with what we had in Exchange 2003 SP2.

Tom

(in reply to dloweqsc)
Post #: 32
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 23.Mar.2007 11:22:18 PM   
Jim Locke

Here's my 2 cents: Exchange2k7 is brutal, the documentation for setting up an "Edge" is totally $#@$% (sorry about the language) I started a new complete and simple setup isa2k6 -> edge -> isa2k6 -> hub/etc (new AD and all) Everthing was pretty good at the start, sent email qwkly, Now for security: Install the edge, did the little cmdlets, oh! alas! nothing coming in. Oh well, lets format everything and start over. MS has to complete the docs in "CLEAR and PRECISE about when to do what on EXACTLY which server". And put everything that a cmdlet does in GUI.

Putting E2K7 on SBS would be a huge error since a few clicks of the mouse to setup SBS will be long gone.

Jim..
PS: Anyone know where one could find the proper instructions for an Edge Server, I have about 3 more weeks before I have to do the production install.

(in reply to DrShinder)
Post #: 33
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 24.Mar.2007 12:18:32 PM   
DrShinder

Hi Jim,
I'm fortunate that I don't have to do Exchange 2007 installations and am in the position to recommend against them until Microsoft finishes the product by providing the missing User Interface elements and missing documentation. It's not my job as a paying customer to figure out how to make an unfinished product work.

Two weeks ago at the Worldwide MVP conference, we all begged the ISA dev team to not make the mistake the Exchange Team did -- we told them that the Exchange Team made their product less secure by making security hard -- ISA needs to make security stronger by making it easier to configure -- which means staying far, FAR away from crap-ass CLI obfuscatory configuration requirements.

Good luck on your upcoming deployment!

Tom

(in reply to Jim Locke)
Post #: 34
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 30.Mar.2007 11:08:54 AM   
h4ppygi|more

Think of all these complicated new features as your job security!

(in reply to DrShinder)
Post #: 35
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 31.Mar.2007 1:32:01 PM   
DrShinder

Hi Happy,

Ha! That's thinking like a pix or Check Point admin :)

Tom

(in reply to h4ppygi|more)
Post #: 36
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 1.Apr.2007 5:24:51 PM   
Jim Locke

Tom,

Just to be fair to the Exchange Team, the ISA Team botched the job too. A little thing called SIP/TLS for using Live Comm 2005. Here was a new MS 2006 product that could not support a MS 2005 product without a 3rd party add-in. Why for likes of me didn't ms quickly write the same bridge and put it in the ISA Tool downloads? So all LCS2005 is good for is pure IM and at what licensing costs.

MS is missing something important here, all their various teams for various "Server Services Products" have to get together with the ISA team to make them work together with ALL the supposed features and not just 30% of the features. Also, they should at least have documents explaining what is to be done at the ISA level to accomplish just that, without compromising security or functionality of another product.

Jim..

(in reply to DrShinder)
Post #: 37
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 1.Apr.2007 10:34:15 PM   
DrShinder

Hi Jim,

I can't argue with that. Also, they forgot multiple gateway support, one to one NAT, and many other things that have been DCRs for year. But they did get the GUI right for the features they do have :)

I agree with you, the other teams need to work more closely with the ISA team to get their stories and features straight. The good news is that I think you'll see much more of that with the next version.

Thansk!
Tom

(in reply to Jim Locke)
Post #: 38
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 2.Apr.2007 1:42:36 AM   
Henrik Walther

quote:

ORIGINAL: DrShinder
I agree with you, the other teams need to work more closely with the ISA team to get their stories and features straight. The good news is that I think you'll see much more of that with the next version.

Ditto!

The fact that ISA 2006 also doesn't support the use of SAN certificates also got me by surprise

HTH
Henrik Walther
Lead Moderator/author
MSExchange.org

Follow me on Twitter!

(in reply to DrShinder)
Post #: 39
RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 - 23.Jun.2011 4:43:51 AM   
blisad1

All the probems with .net are currently solved i wish its ability now was present in 2006

<a href="http://www.fabric-blinds.com">fabric blinds</a>

(in reply to adompier)
Post #: 40

Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> General >> RE: Disappointed with Exchange 2007 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter