• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

exchange 2007 Client was not authenticated

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> exchange 2007 Client was not authenticated Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
exchange 2007 Client was not authenticated - 2.Aug.2006 3:48:22 PM   
magicj

Can any one help please i have installed EXCH 2007 Beta 2 and i could send e-mail out to the internet and internal but i can't recieved e-mail from the internet i will get an error Client was not authenticated can someonre give me some ides how to fix this issue.

Thx
Post #: 1
RE: exchange 2007 Client was not authenticated - 3.Aug.2006 8:17:41 AM   
Henrik Walther

By default an Exchange Server 2007 Hub Transport server only allows secure authenticated connections, so if you don't have an Edge server in front of the Hub Transport server, you need to allow anonymous connections directly to the server.

You cannot set this authentication setting via the GUI (only when creating new connectors!), so you'll need to open the Exchange Management Shell and type:

set-ReceiveConnector "Default <Servername>" -permissiongroups:"ExchangeUsers,ExchangeServers,ExchangeLegacyServers,AnonymousUsers"

HTH
Henrik Walther
Lead Moderator/author
MSExchange.org

Follow me on Twitter!

(in reply to magicj)
Post #: 2
RE: exchange 2007 Client was not authenticated - 7.Aug.2006 6:52:52 AM   
Carl_Johansson

I had the same problem and followed the suggested fix:

set-ReceiveConnector "Default <Servername>" -permissiongroups:"ExchangeUsers,ExchangeServers,ExchangeLegacyServers,AnonymousUsers"

Now I have another problem. Sending email to the test Exchange results in the following error.

Diagnostic code: smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay

Not sure if this is an Exchange configuration issue or just the way I setup the domain (VMWare) within Shaw Cable Internet service but using another domain name (ie, test domain uses redirect.hm for the domain but the IP address belongs to Shaw).

Thanks
Carl

(in reply to Henrik Walther)
Post #: 3
RE: exchange 2007 Client was not authenticated - 14.Aug.2006 8:22:07 AM   
Carl_Johansson

I have figured out my issues. The "Unable to Relay" was the way I setup my domain. I am able to send and receive emails without using an Edge Transport role.

Step 1. Receive Connector, Using the powershell -

set-ReceiveConnector "Default Exchange" -permissiongroups:"ExchangeUsers,ExchangeServers,ExchangeLegacyServers,AnonymousUsers"

Step 2. Send Connector (RWH_1's suggestion), using the GUI

Under Organization Configuration->Hub Transport->Sender Connectors->(Your connector)->Address Space

specify domain to be *

The above works. Thanks to Henrik and RWH_1 for the ideas.

Carl

(in reply to Carl_Johansson)
Post #: 4
RE: exchange 2007 Client was not authenticated - 10.Sep.2006 8:24:11 PM   
lesterw2

I followed the steps above which allows inbound smtp email to Accepted Domains but does not support authenticated smtp clients. I get the following in the event log:

Event Type: Information
  Event Source: MSExchange Transport
  Event Category: SmtpReceive
  Event ID: 1026
  Date:  9/10/2006
  Time:  11:10:59 AM
  User:  N/A
  Computer: MAIL2
  Description:
  SMTP rejected a (P1) mail from
'alice@herdomain.com' with 'Internet Mail2' connector.
    The user 'anonymous' does not have permissions to send as this address.
   For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Anyone have any idea whatsoever on how to get the Receive Connector to accept the smtp authentication? The default security mechanisms are available for authentication and I also ran the Set-ReceiveConnector command with the 4 permission groups. This problem has been extremely frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This occurs using Outlook 2003 while setting up an smtp/pop3 account and using the "Test Account Settings..." button (and with the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" using the same settings as my incoming mail server). The pop3 portion of the test passes indicating that the username and password are correct.

After all I've read, I'm guessing that this is a BUG in that if you AllowAnonymous on the ReceiveConnector, it simply treats all connections as anonymous, regardless of authentication.

Post #: 5
RE: exchange 2007 Client was not authenticated - 10.Sep.2006 9:01:19 PM   
Carl_Johansson

In the MSH shell command:

set-ReceiveConnector "Default Exchange" -permissiongroups:"ExchangeUsers,ExchangeServers,ExchangeLegacyServers,AnonymousUsers"

The "Exchange" was the host name of the box running Exchange 2007. I see that I missed this point in my comments. Insert your Exchange 2007 host name and rerun the command then see what happens.

set-ReceiveConnector "Default yourhostname" -permissiongroups:"ExchangeUsers,ExchangeServers,ExchangeLegacyServers,AnonymousUsers"

If you still have issues then email me at carl.johansson@ubc.ca. I'll send you my Exchange 2007 installation notes so you can see exactly how I installed my Windows domain and exchange.

Carl

< Message edited by Carl_Johansson -- 10.Sep.2006 9:02:39 PM >

(in reply to lesterw2)
Post #: 6
RE: exchange 2007 Client was not authenticated - 21.Sep.2006 3:04:51 PM   
Krokomotzokal

I have the same problem and i couldn't fix it :(

Post #: 7
RE: exchange 2007 Client was not authenticated - 22.Jan.2007 6:59:42 PM   
mtb1996

Has anyone found a solution to this.  I've been researching it for days now and cannot find a definitive solution.  My problem is the similar to what is described above, I have POP clients on untrusted networks that need to be able to authenticate and relay e-mail through my Exchange server.

(in reply to Krokomotzokal)
Post #: 8
RE: exchange 2007 Client was not authenticated - 6.Apr.2007 8:30:00 AM   
paulymo

I am having this same problem but when I enter the command in EMS, it ask me to enter an Identity.  I do not know what to put in for the Identity so I am stuck.

(in reply to mtb1996)
Post #: 9
RE: exchange 2007 Client was not authenticated - 7.Apr.2007 3:47:42 AM   
Henrik Walther

You must specify the receive connector like this:

"Default <Servername>"

HTH
Henrik Walther
Lead Moderator/author
MSExchange.org

Follow me on Twitter!

(in reply to paulymo)
Post #: 10
RE: exchange 2007 Client was not authenticated - 2.May2007 5:13:22 PM   
Lito

Hi,
You can set this authentication setting via the GUI on Server configuration / Hub Transport / Default <ServerName> / right click /properties /Permission Groups, just check Anonymous users and then click OK

regards
Lito

< Message edited by Lito -- 2.May2007 5:41:43 PM >

(in reply to Henrik Walther)
Post #: 11
RE: exchange 2007 Client was not authenticated - 21.Jan.2009 11:33:09 PM   
Karen Liftmaster

Thanks Lito, changed the authentication setting and it all works now. Just to confirm, this does not open up any kind of security hole that I should be worried about? Thanks for your help again!

----------------------------
Karen Liftmaster
IT Manager
Liftmaster  3800
MCSE  Security+  VBNA

(in reply to Lito)
Post #: 12
RE: exchange 2007 Client was not authenticated - 27.Aug.2009 10:32:30 PM   
aus_aus2001

I know this is a old post, just thought I would reply to this hoping people not to get into impression of opening Anonymous users is the final solution to this issue.

(in reply to Karen Liftmaster)
Post #: 13
RE: exchange 2007 Client was not authenticated - 2.Oct.2011 3:01:50 PM   
jmmgmm

Thanks for this!  I spent nearly two days researching this problem.  the explanation in step 2 is where my issues were.  This worked.

Tracey Monroe
Project Manager
Liftmaster 3800
MCSE Security+ VBNA

Post #: 14
RE: exchange 2007 Client was not authenticated - 28.Nov.2011 2:33:36 AM   
richerdey

If there is any problem occur in Outlook while sending or receiving emails, at this situation you need Microsoft scanpst exe download to fix your Outlook problems. This application especially designed to recover your Outlook errors. This is one of the great application that fix Outlook errors easily.

(in reply to magicj)
Post #: 15

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> exchange 2007 Client was not authenticated Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter