• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ???

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 18.Aug.2006 6:00:19 PM   
jassyca

Maybe it's not your server so much as the subnet your server is on. Maybe, when you upgraded (and had to reboot thus you might have gotten a different dynamic IP), you ended up on a subnet that's black listed. Have you checked any black lists to see if your current subnet or IP is included?

http://www.samspade.org <--- has a nice set of useful tools including tools for whois queries, blackhole / blacklist queries ("am I listed somewhere?") and so on.

http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml <--- Spam cop has a very popular "block list". Poor dude does a damn fine job considering he's offering the list for free.

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/index.lasso <-- Another blacklist that companies often use.

There are a lot of subnets that are known to be ones used by home users, dsl or dial up, and there are black lists that include those subnets because, normally, it's a violation of user policies of the ISP that owns the subnet for someone to put servers (web, ftp, email, whatever) on the ISP's network. Now, most ISP's don't give a rat's behind that you've got a server on their network.. unless you cause problems (ie,  put a smtp server on there to send spam or a server for hosting illegal warez, so on). Then they'll suddenly trot out their "terms of acceptable use" on you.

Check to see if your current IP or subnet is black listed. If not, turn on as much SMTP logging as you can. The log may give you a hint as to why some companies are refusing the connection. Try HELO instead of EHLO; never know, might help, it definitely won't hurt.

Let us know what you find.

(in reply to rotunnoe)
Post #: 21
RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? - 19.Aug.2006 5:53:31 AM   
rotunnoe

OK I fixed it and it was the stupidest thing. I have a disclaimer program which places a disclaimer at the bottom of every email. When I exported it from Windows 2000 and into Windows 2003 it imported the disclaimer along with the entire keyword checking (used by my program to filter out junk mail). This list included some risqué keywords. No wonder the big domains wouldn’t accept my emails!!! Thanks again for all your help.

(in reply to jassyca)
Post #: 22

Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> RE: Outward bound email stalled !!! ??? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter