• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Restoring exchange 2003 using only EDB or STM file

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Restoring exchange 2003 using only EDB or STM file Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Restoring exchange 2003 using only EDB or STM file - 12.Aug.2006 8:39:42 PM   
catacomb

Can I just recover my exchange server using the above mentioned 2 files? The thing is that my server crashed and am using Arcserve backup. In order for Arcserve to be installed I need the Exchange to be up. But using the /DisasterRecovery mode, the Exchange server cannot be running yet. Am now in a dilemma.

What I have is the edb and stm files and the directory structure of the old exchange. Can I just copy accordingly and can have back my exchange up and running? Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Restoring exchange 2003 using only EDB or STM file - 12.Aug.2006 9:06:12 PM   
Lancy

yes u can recover using edb and stm files. can you tell me what happened to your tranaction log files?
did your server crash or exchange crashed?

dont u have the last back using Arcserver?

well what you need to do is -

1. copy the edb and stm files to a network drive or any other desktop or server. use robocopy to copy the files if they are very huge. copy the transaction logs as well to a network drive

2. run exchange disaster recovery mode. the server name should be exactly the same as old the exchange server.

3. you can install arcserve once the exchange is installed and restore from backup.

(in reply to catacomb)
Post #: 2
RE: Restoring exchange 2003 using only EDB or STM file - 12.Aug.2006 9:13:52 PM   
catacomb

Hi Lancy,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Ok what happend was my server crashed and I was lucky I used a mixture of raid 1 and raid 5. 1 being the OS and raid 5 for my exchange. hence I still have all the files with me. In fact I have installed the server (OS level) with the exact same name and going to install exchange with the /DisasterRecovery option.

If I have all the logs and files around, do I still need to restore using the Arcserve cos the backup ran halfway and the server crashed. So I belive those files I have are updated compare to the one from the tapes. So I can just copy over.. restart and my exchange should be up and running? Thanks again

Regards
Anthony

(in reply to catacomb)
Post #: 3
RE: Restoring exchange 2003 using only EDB or STM file - 12.Aug.2006 9:29:19 PM   
catacomb

by the way,using robocopy I should be copying everything back to the exact location? Thanks

(in reply to catacomb)
Post #: 4
RE: Restoring exchange 2003 using only EDB or STM file - 12.Aug.2006 9:51:21 PM   
Lancy

if you have all the transaction logs files and edb and stm files intact, you dont need arcserver backup.
make sure you the same exchange patches as before or else you might see errors or store might not mount.
you need to check the logs files committed after the MSexchange IS service is started and store mounted.
how to check log files are committed use eseutil /mk and look for the article on support.microsoft.com
if the log files dont get committed to database, you can rename edb.chk file.
the rename can be done when the MSexchange information store service is stopped.
when the IS service is restarted a new chk file is created automatically.

(in reply to catacomb)
Post #: 5
RE: Restoring exchange 2003 using only EDB or STM file - 12.Aug.2006 9:52:20 PM   
Lancy

yep robocopy can copy to any folders.

(in reply to Lancy)
Post #: 6
RE: Restoring exchange 2003 using only EDB or STM file - 12.Aug.2006 10:00:24 PM   
Lancy

dont copy the log files and database files first to the the location.

what you need to check that your exchange services are started and new store is mounted with a new database file.

dont start the smtp service as you might loose some emails when they delivered to the new store.

stop the service and then remove all the logs and new database files from the present location. copy the logs files and old database file to the location.

its always better to keep the location same as before although its not a must

(in reply to Lancy)
Post #: 7
RE: Restoring exchange 2003 using only EDB or STM file - 12.Aug.2006 10:53:01 PM   
catacomb

Ok thanks alot. I will try it out later

(in reply to Lancy)
Post #: 8
RE: Restoring exchange 2003 using only EDB or STM file - 13.Aug.2006 12:19:00 AM   
catacomb

Ok when I try to mount it but it says one of this store's database files is missing. Mounting this store will force the creation of an empty database. What should I do next? Thanks again

< Message edited by catacomb -- 13.Aug.2006 2:21:32 PM >

(in reply to catacomb)
Post #: 9
RE: Restoring exchange 2003 using only EDB or STM file - 13.Aug.2006 10:14:23 PM   
catacomb

Hi Lancy,

Thanks alot. I managed to recover back my Exchange server but using the edb files to recover is tedious. I took the easy way which you suggested, using PowerControls :). Btw now Itime I start a client it asks me to connect or work offline and says that Exchange is in recovery mode. How can I go about solving this although I can still connect?Thanks

< Message edited by catacomb -- 13.Aug.2006 10:15:48 PM >

(in reply to catacomb)
Post #: 10
RE: Restoring exchange 2003 using only EDB or STM file - 15.Apr.2015 7:32:06 AM   
lizzewatson90

Here I suggest you to use Best EDB to PST software which is a easy solution for Restoring exchange 2003 using only EDB or STM file corruption issues. Read More

< Message edited by lizzewatson90 -- 15.Apr.2015 7:39:02 AM >
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Restoring exchange 2003 using only EDB or STM file Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter