• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Cant reclaim "White Space"

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Cant reclaim "White Space" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cant reclaim "White Space" - 23.Aug.2006 8:45:20 PM   
xxmsaxx

Before I begin thanks in advance to anyone who may have any input or links to help me out with this problem.

We run Exchange2003 standard, and as such are subject to the default 18GB limit. After some recent investigation, which resulted from an IS dismount, I discovered our IS (priv1.edb) was sitting at 17.8 gigs and this is what caused the dismount. First reaction I had was to ask users to clean thier email out, but upon closer investigation I found that the combined total of user mailbox's was round 4 gigs. My maintanance runs every night at the default time 1-5am and I have let this run and also preformed an offline Defrag using eseutil. All the offline did was free up about 30 Megs. I read somewhere that if you have a ton of log files when the offline defrag runs it wont free up much space so I even tried deleting all the log files and doing the offline once again to only see the same results.

I could just change my Regkey and up the DB limit but I really have no desire to have the DB grow any larger ignoring the whitespace it could use. Do any of you guys have an idea as to what could be causing Exchange to ignore maintance and not free up the 13gigs that it should show available?
Post #: 1
RE: Cant reclaim "White Space" - 23.Aug.2006 9:57:13 PM   
sujku

Check the deleted items retention period set on mailbox store properties =>limits tab and set them to "0" the default is 7days.
once we set that let the online maintence run and event id 1221 will indicate the free space. then we can perform the offline defrag that will remove the white space.

(in reply to xxmsaxx)
Post #: 2
RE: Cant reclaim "White Space" - 24.Aug.2006 12:10:17 AM   
xxmsaxx

Thanks Sujku,
The company does hire and fire alot so we are constantly making new mailboxes and deleting them a few scant weeks later so hopefully this will free up some room tonight......hmm based on that last statment I should REALLY get it fixed ehh

(in reply to sujku)
Post #: 3
RE: Cant reclaim "White Space" - 24.Aug.2006 1:10:12 AM   
jmcbee

The space that deleted mailboxes take up won't be reclaimed if you have the "don't permanently deleted mailboxes and deleted items until it has been backed up" checkbox is checked.  Check on your Database properties and make sure that Exchange knows it is being backed up regularly if that checkbox is checked.  I have seen some third party backup solutions that do not use the Exchange APIs for backup and therefore Exchange does not purge deleted items or mailboxes if that checkbox is enabled. (On the Limits tab, by the way)

Jim McBee, Exchange MVP
Blog: http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com
GALMOD Alternative? http://www.directory-update.com

(in reply to xxmsaxx)
Post #: 4
RE: Cant reclaim "White Space" - 25.Aug.2006 6:00:50 PM   
xxmsaxx

Ok I made sure that the checkbox that stated "Do not permanently delete mailboxes and items untill the store has been backed up" was  unchecked and just to be safe did an NT backup both complete and incremental. I took the Deletion settings down to 0 for both mailboxes and items. I how ever dont log an event id 1221 in the application log.

I do get the Event ID 700 "Information Store (1352) First Storage Group: Online defragmentation is beginning a full pass on database 'D:\MailboxStore\pub1.edb'." which leads me to believe that my online defrag  is starting at least but I dont see any failure reports that would indicate its not completing..

(in reply to jmcbee)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Cant reclaim "White Space" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter