• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain domains?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain domains? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain dom... - 6.Aug.2004 12:55:00 PM   
rlonsdale

Hi

Im running Exchange 2003, and am having trouble gettin mail to a few domins, others are working fine. The error reported on the SMTP Connector is "The connection was dropped by the remote host." "[Roll HELP!

Incoming mail seems to be ok just outgoing?

PS Were on BT Broadband connection.. And it doesn't seem to make any difference whether we use a smarthost to route the mail or use DNS?

Any Help would be appreciated?!

Cheers

Rob
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain... - 6.Aug.2004 1:53:00 PM   
Henrik Walther

You don't get any NDR messages returned?

(in reply to rlonsdale)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain... - 6.Aug.2004 3:59:00 PM   
ChrisWhite85

Another person in the UK suffering from not sending mails out?

We use Demon-UK and we cant get our mails to go out unless we restart the server then the queue clears.

I get the exact same error "connection dropped by remote host".

Exchange gets a "GetNextHop=0ms" error in full logging mode! It stops being able to trace the hops to outside on the Internet within 5 to 10 minutes of logging on after restarting!

Please someone find a solution! [Frown]

It seems UK exchange users are getting some very bad effects. [Frown]

[ August 06, 2004, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Chris White - Stirling ]

(in reply to rlonsdale)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain... - 10.Aug.2004 6:18:00 PM   
abarrote

hey.. it's not just a UK Exchange users problem...
I have the same problem as you do in my Exchange Server (check the "Cannot send mail to certain domains" thread on this forum)..

so far, no one was able to get me in the right direction...
I thought it was a DNS problem, but I can telnet all the problematic domains...

any help will be appreciated...

thanks
antonio

(in reply to rlonsdale)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain... - 10.Aug.2004 6:21:00 PM   
abarrote

btw, in my case rebooting the server doesn't solve anything.. the mails keep hanging...

and the only NDR we get is when there's a timeout on the delivery... nothing more...

(in reply to rlonsdale)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain... - 23.Aug.2004 2:10:00 PM   
Kanan

Hi,
we are facing the same problem. We have been on MSExchange 2003 since the last 2 months and no problems.
The only change made recently is the updated to Symantec ver 9, 2 weeks back. Since then have been having the outgoing queue filling up with mails not being sent to various domains till we restart the server. It started with just aol and msn domains and now its any random domain.
We receive an NDR which says "The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink"

We have tried checking the dns, blocked dns and there is no problem in those areas.
Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
TIA
kbs

[ August 23, 2004, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: kbs ]

(in reply to rlonsdale)
Post #: 6
RE: Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain... - 23.Aug.2004 6:10:00 PM   
abarrote

hi...

check this topic:
http://forums.msexchange.org/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=000384

it has all the solutions...
I have Symantec Antivirus installed in my Exchange Server machine and reconfiguring it was enough to solve the problem

(in reply to rlonsdale)
Post #: 7
RE: Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain... - 24.Aug.2004 6:51:00 AM   
abarrote,

what changes did you make in the Symantec AV 9.0? was it just disnabling Interenet E-mail Auto-Protect?

(in reply to rlonsdale)
  Post #: 8
RE: Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain... - 24.Aug.2004 11:40:00 AM   
abarrote

yes..

I just disabled the "Internet E-mail Auto-Protect" feature...

(in reply to rlonsdale)
Post #: 9
RE: Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain... - 26.Aug.2004 9:01:00 PM   
ChrisWhite85

I have this problem still.

However... new users can send fine i think but users who have imported stuff from the old server personal files get stuck in the queue.

Weird. [Confused]

(in reply to rlonsdale)
Post #: 10
RE: Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain... - 26.Aug.2004 9:20:00 PM   
ChrisWhite85

Forget that, still doesn't send to certain domains even with new users.

Zero antivirus software or firewalls installed on server, and mail only goes out to the queing domains when Exchange is restarted.

Strange but true.

A very real bug in Exchange.

(in reply to rlonsdale)
Post #: 11
RE: Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain... - 27.Aug.2004 11:33:00 AM   
abarrote

I completely agree, Chris...

unfortunately, the configuration change I've made to Symantec AV has not completely solved my problem...
It's true that mails to some of the problematic domains began to be sent (like hotmail.com for example), but I'm still having some problems...

this has to be some bug in Exchange 2003 (I have installed SP1 and this started only AFTER its installation)...

I have DNS properly configured and running, I can nslookup and telnet all those faulty domains and I can access my DNS server as well...
However, I'm having events 2012 and 2013 constantly being reported in my Exchange Server computer Event Viewer (Windows 2003 Server):

Event 2012 (warning)
"SMTP could not connect to the DNS server '192.168.10.1'. The protocol used was 'UDP'. It may be down or inaccessible."

Event 2013 (error)
SMTP could not connect to any DNS server. Either none are configured, or all are down.

of course, I can connect to my DNS Server (another Windows Server 2003: domain controller)

When I searched for an answer on the internet, I found something posted on http://www.eventid.net/displayqueue.asp?eventid=2013&eventsource=smtpsvc
it directs us to a Microsoft KB article (# 330070), however this article only applies to Exchange 2000 Server...

(in reply to rlonsdale)
Post #: 12
RE: Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain... - 29.Aug.2004 11:32:00 PM   
dfosbenner

I'm tagging along here. I'm using E2K3 on W2K3, been running this new setup for a week now with no issues, until today.

Mail to vzw.blackberry.net (Verizon) is just sitting in the queue. The odd thing is, it's listed as "queued" and delivery failures are "0". I changed the external DNS used on my DNS Forwarders to another DNS, and cycled the DNS server service - still no help. Mail seems to be flowing to other places at present.

(in reply to rlonsdale)
Post #: 13
RE: Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain... - 22.Sep.2004 12:45:00 AM   
shawnbausch72

I am having exactly the same issue, to mycingular.blackberry.net..... still looking for the solution, DNS looks fine.

quote:
Originally posted by dfosbenner:
I'm tagging along here. I'm using E2K3 on W2K3, been running this new setup for a week now with no issues, until today.

Mail to vzw.blackberry.net (Verizon) is just sitting in the queue. The odd thing is, it's listed as "queued" and delivery failures are "0". I changed the external DNS used on my DNS Forwarders to another DNS, and cycled the DNS server service - still no help. Mail seems to be flowing to other places at present.

(in reply to rlonsdale)
Post #: 14
RE: Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain... - 30.Sep.2004 10:54:00 AM   
We were having a similar problem. Check this article out: http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/smtp_dialup.asp

I know it may seem slightly off topic, but it resolved our issue. We were using our own DNS servers (which have forwarders to the internet set up) but mail was not going out correctly. I changed the exchange 2003 DNS settings to use our ISP's and touch wood, we havent had any problems since.

(in reply to rlonsdale)
  Post #: 15
RE: Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain... - 4.Oct.2004 12:39:00 PM   
ChrisWhite85

You mean you have a forwarder to your ISP's DNS Addresses?

I think most people would unless they are hosting their own Internet DNS server.

Everything on my SBS2003 Server is running perfectly bar the Exchange 2003 which wont send to certain or as Microsoft put it "growing list" of domains.

Its a bug and we have to face it that Microsoft have screwed alot of us with it. You cant say there are easy fixes with this like "you just need to check this tick box", its a very real incompatibility problem.

Certain ways of setting up the server even using the Wizards cant be getting it right. DNS is at fault here and is not ready to take on Exchange 2003 properly.

Where are the flamin white papers? Do Microsoft want to hide this problem from its hot fixes and reports of bugs?

If your a standard off the shelf buyer you pay 850+ for this and it doesn't work properly. Even worse if you buy all the Mailbox CAL's too!

Come on Microsoft give us a break! [Roll Eyes]

(in reply to rlonsdale)
Post #: 16
RE: Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain... - 4.Nov.2004 3:58:00 PM   
We have seen exactly the same thing running Exchange 2003 server. First of all we had a lot of problems and narrowed it down to our new firewall autoblocking certain legitemate email servers.

After switching this feature off the problem was much reduced but it is still present on a few domains. With errors like the connection was dropped due to an smtp protocol event sink and also connection dropped by remote host.

We are also using Demon UK, our DNS servers are ok. Is this an exchange 2003 thing?

(in reply to rlonsdale)
  Post #: 17
RE: Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain... - 4.Nov.2004 7:08:00 PM   
BeTaCam

This looks more like an SMTPAuth issue. Open the SMTP logs and verify the error message.

This should solve the issue.

[Smile]

(in reply to rlonsdale)
Post #: 18

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Exchange 2003 - Mail Getting stuck going to certain domains? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter