• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

MS Outlook mailbox is taking a really long time to synchronize.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> MS Outlook mailbox is taking a really long time to synchronize. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MS Outlook mailbox is taking a really long time to sync... - 6.Sep.2006 6:58:43 PM   
bobbydavis

MS Outlook mailbox is taking a really long time to synchronize.

Network Environment:

We have 5 offices that make up our company and network. We have 2 offices in Alabama and 3 offices in Georgia. The majority of our servers are located in Birmingham, AL including our MS Exchange Server 2003. Most of the Georgia users logon to our terminal server that is located in Birmingham to work and check email, but some of the Georgia user work from their local desktop.

The problem is that when some of the Georgia users work from their local desktop and open MS Outlook it takes a really really long time for the mailbox to update/synchronize. If you look in the system tray, the Outlook sync icon almost never goes away. The mailbox syncs about 60% and then seems to get stuck. I also disable cache mode and this still didnít seem to fix problem. This isnít the case with everyone though. As far as I know it is only happening to 2 people so I donít think it is a bandwidth issue. I think it maybe something specific to their account or mailbox. When these 2 users logon to our terminal server located in Birmingham they donít have this problem.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Bobby Davis
I.T. Support Technician
Post #: 1
RE: MS Outlook mailbox is taking a really long time to ... - 6.Sep.2006 7:10:39 PM   
uemurad

Please clarify some information:

When you say that synchronization gets stuck, does that mean that Outlook hangs, or the synchronization stops but you can still do things within Outlook?

When you say that disabling cache mode didn't fix the problem, what did you mean?  That should have forced Outlook to display the messages on the server - no synchronization takes place.

Other thoughts...

Do you have OWA enabled, and can those two users see everything?

Depending upon how large the mailboxes are, you might attempt to rename the OST file and have cache mode rebuild it.

How many users are connecting to that mailbox server in Birmingham?

Have you looked in the Sync Issues folder in Outlook or the Application Log for clues?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to bobbydavis)
Post #: 2
RE: MS Outlook mailbox is taking a really long time to ... - 6.Sep.2006 8:59:35 PM   
de.blackman

Is it possible that these two users could have installed some 3rd party application that integrates with outlook? To test this, ask them to open outlook from a RUN command by typing Outlook.exe /SAFE and it will load outlook in safe mode where by all add-ins will be disabled. if they do not experience the issue then, that means there's an add-in installed that you will have to determine.

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: MS Outlook mailbox is taking a really long time to ... - 6.Sep.2006 9:52:43 PM   
consultOz

bobbydavis

do you know what GC( global catalog server) these users are coneccting too?
OWA makes RPC request to GC, and gathers information off it. this is good to remember
Your server or GC might be having problem, you have mentioned this is happening to only 2 of your users
Check their PC to see if there is any firewall software making RCP not going smothly
Check NIC card speed setting on both Client PC
Check to see if there is a bottle neck , on the switch/Hub( hopefully not) they are connecting too.

Have one of these user to loginto another PC someone else( who is not having problem) PC with their profile,
this will tell you if problem is PC specific.

Client mailbox size also makes difference,
ping your excahnge server if ping request time>30ms this indicates bootleneck

best
oz

Regards,
Oz Casey Dedeal
MVP (Exchange)
MCITP (EMA),MCITP (EA), MCITP (SA),
MCSE 2003 M+ S+, MCDST
Security+, Project+ ,Server+
http://smtp25.blogspot.com (Blog)
http://telnet25.wordpress.com (Blog)

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> MS Outlook mailbox is taking a really long time to synchronize. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter