Exchange Server not Routing Messages (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing

joelrob -> Exchange Server not Routing Messages (8.Sep.2006 5:20:49 PM)

We're currently undergoing a project to migrate from stand-alone to blade servers. To move exchange,I've installed exchange on the blade, so now running two Exchange 2003 Servers on Windows 2003 servers, same subnet, physically connected to the same switch, etc.

I've moved two mailboxes to the NEWMAILSERVER as a test, and am experiencing the following:

1.) Mailboxes on NEWMAILSERVER can send outside e-mail, mail to mailboxes on NEWMAILSERVER and OLDMAILSERVER both.

2.) Outside e-mail going to the mailboxes on NEWMAILSERVER are being routed through OLDMAILSERVER as it's still the master and the server being pointed to by our DMZ frontend.

3.) Messages from mailboxes still on OLDMAILSERVER are still routing through OLDMAILSERVER as well.

4.) Any messages to the new mailboxes are getting stuck in the queue on OLDMAILSERVER, coming back with an error that NEWMAILSERVER is failing to respond.

Seems weird because I can send from NEWMAILSERVER to OLDMAILSERVER, just not vice-versa. So I know they are talking to each other, but all these messages are piling up in the queue.

Any suggestions?

uemurad -> RE: Exchange Server not Routing Messages (8.Sep.2006 5:38:30 PM)

Sounds like you have both servers in the same routing group, correct?

Have you confirmed that the Authentication in the SMTP Virtual Server is configured exactly the same for both servers?

joelrob -> RE: Exchange Server not Routing Messages (8.Sep.2006 6:39:45 PM)

Yes, they are in the same routing group, and Authentication in the SMTP virtual server is the same for both:

Checked - Anyonymous access
Unchecked - Resolve Anonymous e-mail
Checked - Basic Authentication (password is sent in clear text)
Unchecked - Requires TLS Encryption
Blank - Default Domain:
Checked - Integrated Windows Authentication

Under Users, Authenticated users have Submit Permission

uemurad -> RE: Exchange Server not Routing Messages (8.Sep.2006 6:53:28 PM)

What is the name of the queue where the messages are sticking?  Is it NEWMAILSERVER?

Have you attempted to restart the SMTP service on either or both sides?

joelrob -> RE: Exchange Server not Routing Messages (8.Sep.2006 7:02:35 PM)

The name of the queue where the messages are sticking is called: NEWMAILSERVER.AD_DOMAIN.com

The queue is located on OLDMAILSERVER. Not sure if it makes a difference, but the mail domain and the AD domain are different, the queue is naming the AD domain, not the mail domain.

No, I have not tried restarting SMTP, I'd have to wait until after hours.

uemurad -> RE: Exchange Server not Routing Messages (8.Sep.2006 7:14:43 PM)

I'd look at the messages at the top of the queue to see if there might be a corrupted message.
I'd stop and start the SMTP services on both sides when possible, I might even restart the Exchange System Attendant (which would pause all mail flow).  Might even consider rebooting both.

The two servers are in the same domain?

No odd networking settings where port 25 might be blocked in one direction (VLAN, VPN, router, firewall, IP subnet mask)?  With that in mind, can you telnet from OLD to NEW on port 25?

joelrob -> RE: Exchange Server not Routing Messages (8.Sep.2006 10:24:32 PM)

Yes, telnet on 25 works, so SMTP is up.  The messages at the top of the list look like internal stuff, sender is OLDMAILSERVER_IS@MAIL_DOMAIN.COM, recipient is NEWMAILSERVER_IS@MAIL_DOMAIN.COM.

Subjects are:
Hierarchy
Status Request
Herarchy Backfill Response
Folder Content
Status

in that order, from oldest to newest.

uemurad -> RE: Exchange Server not Routing Messages (8.Sep.2006 10:34:56 PM)

Can you go through a complete SMTP transmission using valid addresses from the OLD to the NEW server and have NEW acknowledge receipt?  If so, does the message get delivered into the mailbox on NEW?

joelrob -> RE: Exchange Server not Routing Messages (8.Sep.2006 11:18:51 PM)

Does the same thing, at the command line, it accepts the mail, says it's queuing it:

250 2.6.0 <NEWMAILSERVERaqTEOp00000001@NEWMAILSERVER.DC_DOMAIN.com> Queued mail fo
r delivery

Then it just goes in the queue on OLDMAILSERVER and sits.

de.blackman -> RE: Exchange Server not Routing Messages (9.Sep.2006 2:11:51 PM)

Microsoft has a new tool called Exchange Troubleshooting Assistant which helps you troubleshoot mail flow issues. I have tried it in my lab and it is pretty neat. I would suggest downloading it and trying it out from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4BDC1D6B-DE34-4F1C-AEBA-FED1256CAF9A&displaylang=en

Let us know the results.

IGFHL -> RE: Exchange Server not Routing Messages (20.Sep.2006 5:10:52 PM)

I'm in a similar situation:

Existing Exchange 2003 domain.  OLDSERVER has been operating without a problem since installation. 

I added NEWSERVER to the same Exchange domain.  I can send mail from NEWSERVER to NEWSERVER, to OLDSERVER, and to the internet without any problems, but I can't get mail to flow to NEWSERVER from anywhere but from teh NEWSERVER. 

I can telnet to NEWSERVER from OLDSERVER on port 25 without any problem.

When I reboot OLDSERVER, all the messages in queue are delivered to users on NEWSERVER.

NEWSERVER is also a domain controller and DNS server.

uemurad -> RE: Exchange Server not Routing Messages (20.Sep.2006 5:22:20 PM)

Did you try using the Troubleshooting Assistant?

IGFHL -> RE: Exchange Server not Routing Messages (20.Sep.2006 6:14:33 PM)

Here are the error/warning reports.  Most don't make any sense to me:

'Remote delivery' queue (NEWSERVER.DOMAIN.COM) is in retry Server: OLDSERVER
The 'Remote delivery' queue (NEWSERVER.DOMAIN.COM) on server OLDSERVER is in retry status. Source: 'Default SMTP Virtual Server'. Number of message(s) in the queue: 63. Additional status information: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

'Pointer' record does not match SMTP instance Server: OLDSERVER
The Pointer (PTR) record localhost does not match any fully-qualified domain name of the SMTP instances on server OLDSERVER. This may cause routing problems when remote servers have a filter to map an IP address to a server name.

The Pointer (PTR) record localhost does not match any fully-qualified domain name of the SMTP instances on server OLDSERVER. This may cause routing problems when remote servers have a filter to map an IP address to a server name.

Packet needs to be fragmented Name: NEWSERVER.DOMAIN.COM
Ping (Don't fragment = 'True' and buffer size = 4096) from server OLDSERVER to remote server NEWSERVER.DOMAIN.COM was not successful as the packet needs to be fragmented.

Mail acceptance failure Name: NEWSERVER.DOMAIN.COM
Remote server NEWSERVER.DOMAIN.COM failed the mail acceptance test. BDAT command: Respond = . Check for firewalls and applications that can possibly block the BDAT command.

Non-default transport event sinks found Server: OLDSERVER
At least one non-default transport event sink was found in the metabase of server OLDSERVER. Please check that this sink will not cause any harm to mail flows.

Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition Internet E-Mail Auto-Protect plug-in enabled Server: OLDSERVER
The Internet E-Mail Auto-Protect plug-in for Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition is running on server OLDSERVER. Messages to remote domains and servers may back up in queues or users may receive non-delivery reports. 

SMTP connector address space set as local domain in metabase Server: OLDSERVER
SMTP domain 'DOMAIN.COM.mx' is set as an address space for SMTP connector 'Postfix_relay' but the 'RouteAction' property in the metabase for SMTP instance 'Default SMTP Virtual Server' on server OLDSERVER indicates that this is a local domain. Messages addressed to domain 'DOMAIN.COM.mx' may not be delivered. Current 'RouteAction' value: 32

'Remote delivery' queue (NEWSERVER.DOMAIN.COM) is in retry Server: OLDSERVER
The 'Remote delivery' queue (NEWSERVER.DOMAIN.COM) on server OLDSERVER is in retry status. Source: 'Default SMTP Virtual Server'. Number of message(s) in the queue: 63. Additional status information: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

IGFHL -> RE: Exchange Server not Routing Messages (20.Sep.2006 8:12:11 PM)

[:o] 
Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition Internet E-Mail Auto-Protect plug-in enabled Server: OLDSERVER
The Internet E-Mail Auto-Protect plug-in for Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition is running on server OLDSERVER. Messages to remote domains and servers may back up in queues or users may receive non-delivery reports. 

I disabled this plug-in, and everything appears to be working properly. Very strange that it would cause sucvh a problem, but it appears to be the case.

Thanks for the help.

Aussie999 -> RE: Exchange Server not Routing Messages (22.Sep.2006 10:12:04 PM)

Funny thing you say that: I had exactly the same problem about 6-7 months ago and your solution is what I also did to fix it.
And I tried this after reading somewhere on a forum that this is a bug i Symantec software.

I would keep an eye on it because it will happen again.

Adrian.

Page: [1]