• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

uninstalling exchange..please help

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> uninstalling exchange..please help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
uninstalling exchange..please help - 18.Sep.2006 3:47:58 PM   
sinnedam

Hey guys,

We have a copy of exchange 03 loaded on the domain controller here, but it has never been used. We have a whole other server that is being used for nothing, so i would like to put exchange on it. Can someone offer some insight for removing exchange from the server its on? Is it as simple as running the uninstall program? I was told it would screw up active directory if we did it that way.

Thanks a lot.

NOTE: currently we have outlook configured for pop 3 access for our employee's, so its not going to have any effect on our users by removing it.
Post #: 1
RE: uninstalling exchange..please help - 18.Sep.2006 4:05:38 PM   
bej

Yes you can run the uninstall. Just remember that before you do there are some steps to walk through if it is the first Exchange server in your organisation.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822931/

Bengt Jonsson
MCSE:MESSAGING
MCITP Enterprise Messaging Administrator

(in reply to sinnedam)
Post #: 2
RE: uninstalling exchange..please help - 18.Sep.2006 4:20:31 PM   
sinnedam

This is the only exchange server in the organization. This MS article appears to be reffering to a situation where exchange would be moved to another server. I really just want to completely remove it, then install on a new server. So should i still follow those steps?

(in reply to bej)
Post #: 3
RE: uninstalling exchange..please help - 18.Sep.2006 5:35:04 PM   
Jazziao

Hi, going thru the same situation. Just have Exchange installed, havent add or set any accounts, directories or anything like that, trying to follow all the steps described there and only receive errors and can't replicate any public folders or users in order to follow up the procedures in order to uninstall exchange. Just want to uninstall and then do a fresh and new installation. I need to uninstall it in order to rename my domain. Domain rename tools doesn't let me to continue because Exchange is installed (at least that's what it says), could you please help me too???

(in reply to sinnedam)
Post #: 4
RE: uninstalling exchange..please help - 18.Sep.2006 5:41:44 PM   
de.blackman

Since this is the only server in the organization, do you also want to completely remove the exchange organization from AD as well? If so simply run the exchange setup with /removeorg option.

How to Uninstall Exchange Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/Ex2k3DepGuide/fd4864c9-1ea1-4e6d-a5cc-64f00ffa7a2c.mspx?mfr=true

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to Jazziao)
Post #: 5
RE: uninstalling exchange..please help - 18.Sep.2006 5:53:13 PM   
sinnedam

Yes,

I have 5 servers all running windows 2003

1 domain controller that has exchange installed on it.

I just want to remove it completely from this servers hard disk/active directory and then be able to re install on a seperate server later.

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 6
RE: uninstalling exchange..please help - 18.Sep.2006 6:41:47 PM   
Jazziao

Procedure states that i have to remove the users to another mailbox store on a different server, i do not have a different server, just one server. It states that i could also remove the mailbox storage  (which im trying to do) when i right-click to remove the program freezes and i can't remove that mail storage (SystemMailbox). Before removing this SystemMailbox there are other associated objects which this box is selecting (checkbox), and then when i click on yes nothing else happens and computer freezes. I have removed all the users one by one (except for administrator). What could be the case? On the other hand, do i have to remove administrator also? (i havent remove this in case i can't do anything after that)

(in reply to sinnedam)
Post #: 7
RE: uninstalling exchange..please help - 18.Sep.2006 7:04:11 PM   
de.blackman

This step assumes that the exchange server was already in use and you had mailboxes configured on it. SystemMaibox, SMTPMailbox and System Attendant and default and cannot be removed. Dont worry about them. My main question to you guys is do you want to remove the entire exchange organization from active directory as opposed to simply uninstalling exchange from the server? If yes, then use SETUP.EXE /REMOVEORG and it will uninstall exchange and deletes all exchange configuration and the entire organization from your active directory.

To check if you have any user accounts connected to exchange, open AD users and computers on the exchange server. Right click your domain and select find. From the drop down menu, select EXCHANGE RECIPIENTS. On the General tab, select ONLY USERS WITH EXCHANGE MAILBOXES and click find. if all it finds are any of the above mailboxes, then you are ok, otherwise delete the mailbox for that user (assuming the data is not required anymore ) and try the uninstall process.

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to Jazziao)
Post #: 8
RE: uninstalling exchange..please help - 18.Sep.2006 7:12:12 PM   
sinnedam

quote:

ORIGINAL: de.blackman

This step assumes that the exchange server was already in use and you had mailboxes configured on it. SystemMaibox, SMTPMailbox and System Attendant and default and cannot be removed. Dont worry about them. My main question to you guys is do you want to remove the entire exchange organization from active directory as opposed to simply uninstalling exchange from the server? If yes, then use SETUP.EXE /REMOVEORG and it will uninstall exchange and deletes all exchange configuration and the entire organization from your active directory.

To check if you have any user accounts connected to exchange, open AD users and computers on the exchange server. Right click your domain and select find. From the drop down menu, select EXCHANGE RECIPIENTS. On the General tab, select ONLY USERS WITH EXCHANGE MAILBOXES and click find. if all it finds are any of the above mailboxes, then you are ok, otherwise delete the mailbox for that user (assuming the data is not required anymore ) and try the uninstall process.

Yes, I want all traces of Exchange gone from my network. I am sorry to be redundant, but just for clarification I want to make sure.

I need to delete all users mailboxes from active directory.

I then need to go to run, and type path/setup.exe /removeorg and that will uninstall exchange components from the hard disk and active directory.

and thats it right?

thanks a bunch!

Post #: 9
RE: uninstalling exchange..please help - 18.Sep.2006 7:17:47 PM   
de.blackman

You got it...good luck

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to sinnedam)
Post #: 10
RE: uninstalling exchange..please help - 18.Sep.2006 8:18:28 PM   
Jazziao

Thank you so much, i succesfully executed /removeorg. I started to uninstall Exchange after that and it was being succesful until i received an error msg stating some kind of problem with Messaging and Collaboration Services (could not remove it). Then when i try to run inninstal, i receive the following msg.: "Setup encountered an error while trying to contact the Windows Active Directory. The error was: -Failed to connect to local Domain Controller <name>. Please verify that it is up, reachable, and that you have sufficient permissions to use it."

I have full permissions, i can't find AD since Exchange removed it. How can i verify this if necessary in order to continue uninstalling the server?

Sorry to be a bother. :(

Post #: 11
RE: uninstalling exchange..please help - 18.Sep.2006 8:28:07 PM   
de.blackman

No bother at all.

When you uninstall Exchange it will not uninstall AD! what error code is presented in the application log? Also if you go into the root of C:\ drive there's a file called exchange server setup progress log file. Scroll to the very bottom and there should be an error in there. Post it back in there.

Worse case scenario is to manually remove exchange via the registry but this will require a removal/reinstallation of IIS as well. Do you use IIS on this server for anything else besides exchange (do you have web sites created for example)?

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to Jazziao)
Post #: 12
RE: uninstalling exchange..please help - 18.Sep.2006 8:58:09 PM   
Jazziao

Thank you so much,

The very bottom of the .log is:
14:22:58] === IGNORING PREVIOUS ERRORS === ScIsForestPrepped (f:\titanium\admin\src\libs\exsetup\dsmisc.cxx:1210)
          The operation has completed successfully.
[14:22:58] This forest is not ForestPrepped
[14:22:58] Leaving ScIsForestPrepped
[14:41:16]  CComBOIFacesFactory::QueryInterface (f:\titanium\admin\src\udog\bo\bofactory.cxx:54)
          Error code 0X80004002 (16386): No interface.

On the other hand, i do not have any web sites created and hosted here. This a new small server in which we are testing in order to fully implement Exchange Server.

Post #: 13
RE: uninstalling exchange..please help - 18.Sep.2006 9:27:05 PM   
de.blackman

to make it easier on yourself since this is a new server, i would suggest manually remove exchange from the registry. Make sure you export the entire registry hives before starting though.

How to remove Exchange Server 2003 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833396/

follow these sections in that article:

1. Manually remove Exchange 2003
2. Use Registry Editor to remove the Exchange registry keys
3. Remove and reinstall the Internet Information Services (IIS) component

Take a full backup of your system state data for active directory as well.
When you're done, open active directory sites and services. Click VIEW and select SHOW SERVICES NODE.
Expand services you will see Microsoft Exchange --> I assume you do not have active directory connector installed?? If you do not, simply delete the whole MICROSOFT EXCHANGE folder exchange is gone from AD.

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to Jazziao)
Post #: 14
RE: uninstalling exchange..please help - 19.Sep.2006 5:40:14 PM   
Jazziao

Thank you so much,

I succesfully uninstalled Exchange, your guidance was extremelly helpful.
Thank you so much, now my concern is with my domain. That's another issue for another posting....

Thanks a lot. :)

Post #: 15
RE: uninstalling exchange..please help - 19.Sep.2006 5:44:49 PM   
de.blackman

Glad to hear that!

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to Jazziao)
Post #: 16

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> uninstalling exchange..please help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter