• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Antispam Gateway Products

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Exchange Server Misc] >> 3rd Party Add-ons >> Antispam Gateway Products Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Antispam Gateway Products - 29.Sep.2006 3:54:30 PM   
TBone2k

We are currently looking at alternatives to our Surfcontrol Email gateway. I found the chart on this site and that's great, but it doesn't mention the key feature I'm looking for. I would prefer to have an anti-spam gateway that rejects spam instead of accepting it and quarantining it. Why? Then I don't have to go through the spam. I don't have any concerns about false positives (as long as its as accurate as Surfcontrol's spam signatures). By rejecting the messages  rather than ultimately deleting them, it also assures that we remain RFC compliant (i.e. A message must either be delivered to the recipient, or the sender's server must be notified).

Some vendors don't seem to understand why I'm looking for this feature, so I'm hoping someone here could make some  recommendations for me. My searching so far shows that McAfee does what I need, but I'm interested in other options, as well as finding server-based or appliance-based options.

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Antispam Gateway Products - 29.Sep.2006 11:16:24 PM   
jassyca

Whatever you do, run away screaming if anyone tries to hoist Lightspeed on you.  We used to use Surfcontrol's Email filter too. Then time came to renew the license. Even though I had reports that proved that Lightspeed caught approximately 80% of just what Surfcontrol's Digital Fingerprinting caught, management didn't care. They basically told me "employees will just have to learn to be more careful about giving out their email address or else learn to hit the delete key". Only reason management wanted Lightspeed was because they gave us this song-n-dance about how they could do exactly what we're currently doing with Websense (ie, web filtering) plus, ooo, filter email too. Two for one! Wowie! The license for Surfcontrol was up before the license for Websense so management said install it, bye-bye Surfcontrol Email Filter. And guess what? When the time came to use Lightspeed instead of Websense, they renewed Websense. Management changed it's mind once they saw how much spam it let through. Gee thanks. But of course I'm still hearing people b***h about how much more spam they are getting now compared to last year.

[pant, pant, pant]

Sorry about the rant. Just irks me that users crab at me about how much worse things are (and they're RIGHT) and yet this wasn't my choice.

(in reply to TBone2k)
Post #: 2
RE: Antispam Gateway Products - 6.Oct.2006 2:24:36 PM   
mwilhelmy

I'm looking exactly for the same thing.  Rejecting emails during the SMTP conversation seems so much cleaner than accepting everything and then sorting things out.  Maybe there's some technical reasons that prevent this.  But if you ever find something that does this, let me know!  I'm going to check McAfee out in the meantime.

(in reply to TBone2k)
Post #: 3
RE: Antispam Gateway Products - 15.Oct.2006 12:48:56 PM   
cdub

Our free spam appliance can reject, as you requested.

http://www.castellan.net/spamfilter_download.htm

Read the docs CAREFULLY and FULLY, then install, configure, test, and you should be pleasantly surprised at the 90% spam reject rate.

(in reply to mwilhelmy)
Post #: 4
RE: Antispam Gateway Products - 26.Dec.2006 6:06:45 PM   
_shArk_

We use Ironport gateway appliances - I have to say, having used most of  the other gateway hardware / software products on the market, that the Ironports completely rock. It is not the least expensive product in it's class, but it truly does an amazing job with mail routing, blocking, anti-spam and anti-virus. and it is solid-reliable.
http://www.ironport.com   We have two A60's 

~~~~)shArk>

(in reply to cdub)
Post #: 5
RE: Antispam Gateway Products - 27.Dec.2006 12:28:14 AM   
_shArk_

quote:

ORIGINAL: mwilhelmy

I'm looking exactly for the same thing.  Rejecting emails during the SMTP conversation seems so much cleaner than accepting everything and then sorting things out.  Maybe there's some technical reasons that prevent this.  But if you ever find something that does this, let me know!  I'm going to check McAfee out in the meantime.

Ironport's appliances drop silently if set to do so. They hook into your LDAP and if the email address does not exist in your organization, the message is silently dropped. Or, you can choose to bounce with a reply, re-route to a queue, etc.
The silent drop eliminates threat of DOS attack and also stops spam senders from using the old 'bounce and deliver' method- which is pretty crafty. The spammer uses your mail server's bounce to bounce the spam to the intended recipient by placing that recipient's address as the reply-to for the bounce. The recevier gets the spam and thinks you sent it since it bounced from your mail server.

~~~~)shArk>

(in reply to mwilhelmy)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Exchange Server Misc] >> 3rd Party Add-ons >> Antispam Gateway Products Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter