• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Safe to remove old log files?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Safe to remove old log files? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Safe to remove old log files? - 12.Oct.2006 4:41:45 AM   
ActionSteve

I recently had a problem with Exchange 2003, whereby the MailStore dismounted because the drive with the log files had become full.  For those searching for a solution to the same problem, it was caused (in this instance) because my exchange backups hadn't been running properly (I'm too ashamed to say for how long), which meant the log files weren't being cleaned up.  I got things working by moving some of the old log files off the drive (after checking which log files were no longer needed).  I then did a full exchange backup, and i expected this to clear away all the old log files, however most of them are still there and it just seems to have tidied up the more recent ones....

My question is, now that I've got my backups working, is it safe for me to delete all these old logs from before the backups started?  My understanding of recovering exchange is that you only need the log files since the last backup...

thanks for any help,
Post #: 1
RE: Safe to remove old log files? - 12.Oct.2006 6:45:32 AM   
neilho

That's right, Exchange will require log files since the last full backup in order to bring the database to a consistent state.  Why not zip up the old logs and store them someplace else for a few weeks?  At least you'll sleep better. 

Neil Hobson
http://www.msexchange.org/Neil_Hobson
http://www.simple-talk.com/author/neil-hobson/

(in reply to ActionSteve)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Safe to remove old log files? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter