• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Replacing an Exchange 2003 Server with updated hardware

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Replacing an Exchange 2003 Server with updated hardware Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Replacing an Exchange 2003 Server with updated hardware - 16.Oct.2006 7:17:43 PM   
random_rodder

Hi all,

I'm new here. I have a question, and it seems so simple yet the solution is eluding me...
I've looked thru a good part of the forum today and was unable to find an answer to what my problem is. If I am asking something that has already been asked, I apologize
I have recently purchased an updated server to replace our old Exchange box. They are both running Exchange Server 2003. The old box runs W2K server, the new on W2K3 server.

I have Exchange 2003 installed on the new box. Both servers apper in the ESM. I can move users mailboxes between the servers at will. Where I'm having issues at is with Public Folders. I have run pfmigrate and received what I believe to be the desired results, however, the migration does not seem to be taking place. When I check the Public Folder store on the new server, the Folders are not there.

If I try to 'Send Contents' the operation completes, but it appears nothing has been done. When I check the Replication and Status, for the server 'Folders' is connected to, it reports the item as 'In Sync', but the other server reports 'Local Modified'. If I try to sync the other servers file, I get an c1041722 error. It dos this regardlessof the server the 'Public Folders' is connected to.

Any ideas of where to look?

Thanks, Brian
Post #: 1
RE: Replacing an Exchange 2003 Server with updated hard... - 16.Oct.2006 8:01:09 PM   
rtoles

Have you rehomed your public folders?  I found the linked article to be a life saver during my move to a new Exchange 2003 Server from an Exchange 2000 Server.  It explains how to rehome everything to the new server after every as been replicated to said server.  It might be the answer to your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822931

ExchangeMama

(in reply to random_rodder)
Post #: 2
RE: Replacing an Exchange 2003 Server with updated hard... - 16.Oct.2006 10:22:42 PM   
random_rodder

I can't rehome them until they've replicated can I?

After running pfmigrate as well as doing manual replications, the status in the replication tab of the folder looks like this:

Server                  Replication status
server1                      In Sync
server2                      Local Modified

If I right click server2, in the Folder's status tab, and click 'Synchronize Content'
I get the following:

quote:

The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service could not fid the specified object.
ID no: c1041722
Exchange System Manager  

Thanks,

Brian

(in reply to rtoles)
Post #: 3
RE: Replacing an Exchange 2003 Server with updated hard... - 17.Oct.2006 1:20:30 PM   
jchong

1. From your Exchange server or Domain Controller verify if this store is associated with your PF tree. Start, Run,
ADSIEDIT.MSC Click Ok. (ADSIEDIT is part of your Windows 2000\2003
Support Tools found on the CD)

Expand the Configuration Container.

CN=Services
CN=Microsoft Exchange
CN=Your Exchange Org
CN=Administrative Group
CN=First Administrative Group

Highlight CN= Folder Hiearchies

On the right pane, highlight CN=Publid Folders and select properties.
Scroll down to find the attribute, msexchowningpftreebl. Do you see the DN of your new PF store of your server?

James Chong
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

Post #: 4
RE: Replacing an Exchange 2003 Server with updated hard... - 17.Oct.2006 4:57:24 PM   
random_rodder

Yes, I can see as the value for that:

CN=Public Folder Store (MAILBOX),CN=First Storage Group,CN=InformationStore,CN=MAILBOX,CN=Servers,CN=flcrown-wdb,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=flcrown,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=flcrown,DC=org

And when I double click that setting I see this in an edit window:

CN=Public Folder Store (FCWBMAIL),CN=First Storage Group,CN=InformationStore,CN=FCWBMAIL,CN=Servers,CN=flcrown-wdb,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=flcrown,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=flcrown,DC=org

CN=Public Folder Store (MAILBOX),CN=First Storage Group,CN=InformationStore,CN=MAILBOX,CN=Servers,CN=flcrown-wdb,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=flcrown,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=flcrown,DC=org

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 5
RE: Replacing an Exchange 2003 Server with updated hard... - 17.Oct.2006 7:29:04 PM   
random_rodder

Guess maybe I ought to ask an obvious question, that I think I know the answer to.

Once replication is set up and completed, should the public folders that are supposed to be replicas show in the Public Folders on both server? To me, since they are replica's, that should be yes. And the people whose accounts get moved to the new server should have access to the info on that store. At that point, then the public folders could be re-homed to the new server.

Another quesion, would it be easier to just restore the public store from a good backup to the new server instead of fighting with this?

Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Replacing an Exchange 2003 Server with updated hardware Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter