• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

sent items problem

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> sent items problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
sent items problem - 19.Oct.2006 10:21:50 AM   
inlining1

Some of my users will experience a random problem where email messages are not delivered to their intended recipient and the message does not appear in their "Sent Items" folder. They dont receive any "failed delivery" notice either. Sometimes they are replying to message and sometimes they are originating the message. 

We use McAfee GroupShield with the anti spam option and when I use the detected items filter to search for a message From: the affected user email address or Recipient: recipient's email, the message is not found so I don't think this is the problem.

Any suggestions on what this might be or how can I troubleshoot this?

Thank you
Post #: 1
RE: sent items problem - 19.Oct.2006 10:27:48 AM   
uemurad

I've seen this happen when someone clicks "Send" then logs out of Outlook shortly afterwards.  When running in cache mode, the message may not have gotten to the server yet.  Does anything appear in the Outbox?  If you view the entire Folder List, do you see any entries in the Sync Issues folder?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to inlining1)
Post #: 2
RE: sent items problem - 19.Oct.2006 10:43:46 AM   
inlining1

Dean,

Thanks for the reply. There is nothing in the user's outbox and the only items in the sync items folder date back to 2005.  They did not close Outlook after sending the message. I used the Look for: feature in the sent items folder and searched by the recipients email address.  Numerous emails come up but the one she sent yesterday around 2:50 pm is not there?!?!  very strange.

Is there a way I can search the exchange server queue or a log file for messages to a particlular email address?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: sent items problem - 19.Oct.2006 11:08:13 AM   
uemurad

Use Message Tracking in the ESM (provided you've activated it).

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to inlining1)
Post #: 4
RE: sent items problem - 19.Oct.2006 11:08:41 AM   
sabel9579

Use message tracking in ESM to see what happened to the message.

(in reply to inlining1)
Post #: 5
RE: sent items problem - 19.Oct.2006 11:27:19 AM   
inlining1

I have activated it but when I search for messages from the user within a 4 or 5 hour time window from when she sent the message nothing shows up.  Other messages from this user appear but not the one from 2:50 pm.  Is there a different way to use message tracking to find messages that have delivery problems? If I search for the recipient's email address (an @hotmail.com address) I still dont find the missing message.

Any suggestions?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 6
RE: sent items problem - 19.Oct.2006 3:06:44 PM   
uemurad

You didn't say how many Exchange servers you have in your environment, but I'm assuming you specified the mailbox server hosting the user in question when running Message Tracking.

If the message never shows up in Message Tracking, it's a safe bet to say that the server never saw the message.  That points to the client, or client/server communication.

If you are running in cache mode, try having the OST rebuilt.  Close Outlook, rename the OST file, reopen Outlook, and let it synchronize.  You won't recover the missing message in this way, since it will only copy what is on the server.  If the problem was a corrupted OST file, this should prevent the issue from returning.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to inlining1)
Post #: 7
RE: sent items problem - 19.Oct.2006 6:27:42 PM   
inlining1

Is there any way I can check if the OST file is corrupt before going ahead and rebuilding it?

Also, can you recommend a third party software app that will monitor outgoing messages and provide a clean UI for identifying problems and generating alerts?

Thanks for your assistance on this,

Patrick

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 8
RE: sent items problem - 19.Oct.2006 6:41:01 PM   
jchong

Also how big are your ost files, I've seen weird issues as well when they exceed 1GB.

James Chong
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

(in reply to inlining1)
Post #: 9
RE: sent items problem - 19.Oct.2006 8:32:54 PM   
uemurad

I'm not aware of any OST checkers.  I don't know that software companies would consider it a critical need since the information it contains is only a copy of the server information and can be rebuilt at any time (unlike PST files which are the only copy of the contents).

I suggested that you rename the OST file before rebuilding so that you can rename it back if you choose.

The larger the OST file gets, the more susceptable it is to corruption.  I agree with James, when an OST gets to be 1GB or larger, odd things tend to happen more often.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to inlining1)
Post #: 10
RE: sent items problem - 19.Oct.2006 9:06:52 PM   
inlining1

The OST files are only about 100 - 150 MB on the users that are experiencing this random problem.

Does anyone know if McAfee's GroupShield spam filtering software would be triggered to delete a message being sent from an internal user ??

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 11
RE: sent items problem - 3.Nov.2006 4:04:40 PM   
mouritsen

Were you ever able to resolve this issue?  I have several users with the exact same problem and I can't find any trace of the message using message tracking.  They have outlook 2003 in cached mode and the .ost files are relatively small ~100MB.  I'm curious what you have tried and if you found anything that worked. 

Thanks.

(in reply to inlining1)
Post #: 12
RE: sent items problem - 3.Nov.2006 4:32:49 PM   
inlining1

No, I have not resolved this and it's one of those problems that only appears now and then.  It's very frustrating as I don't know if it's my spam blocker somhow blocking outgoing messages from my users or if is's an exchange problem.  I'm very interested in any tool that will allow me to closely monitor exchange's outgoing mail queues and that will produce an alert anytime a message fails to be sent.

Patrick

(in reply to mouritsen)
Post #: 13

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> sent items problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter