• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

How to configure Sendmail Server as a Front End Server for Microsoft Exchange 2003

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> How to configure Sendmail Server as a Front End Server for Microsoft Exchange 2003 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to configure Sendmail Server as a Front End Server ... - 28.Oct.2006 12:37:39 PM   
manish68

Hi,

I need some help configuring a Sendmail Server facing the world and Exchange 2003 Server as mail server.

Has anyone done this or rather is this possible ? if yes can some one provide me step by step instruction how to do put this configuration to gather.

1. Steps needed on sendmail server
2. Steps needed on Exchange server

any help will be highly appreciated.

Manish
Post #: 1
RE: How to configure Sendmail Server as a Front End Ser... - 28.Oct.2006 2:22:34 PM   
uemurad

Can it be done?  Yes.  You've asked your question in general terms, so I'll respond at the same level.  I can't tell how much you know about Active Directory or Exchange.  I can't tell how much (AD/Exch) is already built into your infrastructure.  Without asking how Sendmail fits into your environment, here's what you have to do at an Executive Summary level.

You need to configure Sendmail to accept mail and forward it to your Exchange server.
You need to configure Exchange to accept mail and get it your users. 

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to manish68)
Post #: 2
RE: How to configure Sendmail Server as a Front End Ser... - 30.Oct.2006 6:19:27 PM   
smason

More info on your current environment would help.

It should be relatively simple.
DNS MX records need to point to the Sendmail box, or the firewall address that forwards to the Sendmail box.

Sendmail needs your Exchange server address in /etc/mail/mailertable in the  format:
domain.com smtp:[exchange.ip.address.here]
and your domain needs to be in /etc/mail/relay-domains

If your Exchange box has a different IP than your MX record, and doesn't connect to the outside world via a NT/Firewall with the same IP address as your MX, you may get outbound mail rejected by brain-dead spam filters.  To get around this you could have Exchange use the Sendmail box as a smart host, and send through it.

(in reply to manish68)
Post #: 3
RE: How to configure Sendmail Server as a Front End Ser... - 31.Oct.2006 1:36:51 PM   
manish68

Hi Guys, thx for your response here is more information on our setup as requested.

Sendmail is installed on Redhat Enterprise Linux AS with Update 4 
Domain controller with AD on Windows 2003 Server
Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 Server with SP1 and SP2

Domain and Exchange with be in a 10.1.x.x internal network 
Sendmail with face the world with a public IP on 1 interface but will also have a 10.1.x.x IP on  second interface to talk to Exchange

All internal mail must stay within our network on the exchange server
all external in/out mail must be routed to the sendmail server via exchange

hope this helps or let me know and I can provide additional information.

Thx again

(in reply to smason)
Post #: 4
RE: How to configure Sendmail Server as a Front End Ser... - 1.Nov.2006 11:09:26 AM   
manish68

can anyone please help me out with this ?

(in reply to manish68)
Post #: 5
RE: How to configure Sendmail Server as a Front End Ser... - 1.Nov.2006 2:51:15 PM   
uemurad

First, tell me about Sendmail.  Is it functional now?  Can it send out messages to the Internet?  I'm not a Sendmail-guy, so I can't instruct you on how to forward messages.  You can however test this by using Telnet to send a message.  Let me know if you need instructions.

If all of your users are in the Exchange environment, then all internal mail will stay within Exchange.

To send the outbound messages through Sendmail, set up a Smarthost on your Exchange server.  In ESM, drill down to your server and expand Protocols, SMTP, right click on Default SMTP Virtual Server, go to Properties, go to the Delivery tab and click Advanced.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to manish68)
Post #: 6
RE: How to configure Sendmail Server as a Front End Ser... - 2.Nov.2006 3:55:08 PM   
manish68

Hi,

I do not have sendmail server configured I am new to sendmail as well.

If anyone has an idea on how to configure Sendmail to work with outside world and with Exchange would appreciate any help

Linux Enterprise version with Update 4 installed
Thx

Manish 

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 7
RE: How to configure Sendmail Server as a Front End Ser... - 15.Nov.2006 7:29:35 AM   
thekillerbean

Hey Manish,

Did you find a solution to your problem?  I'm facing somewhat similar problems; I'm trying to use sendmail coupled with spamassassin to try and provide some spam relief.

I have several Linux boxes at my disposal, majority running RHEL ES3 and a few on RHEL AS4.  All these machines have sendmail configured and they send daily logwatch reports to my account on an Exchange 2003 Server running on a Windows Server 2003.  We are not a large organization but we do have users in the Asia/Pacific region that logon to this box for email either via OWA or MS Outlook - both POP3 and SMTP utilize SSL.  My worry is that I may change the firewall rules to point port 25 traffic to one of the Linux boxes (after configuration of course) then have issues with external email users - my customers are very particular about getting to their inboxes and problems such as this trickle up very quickly - something I'd like to avoid!

So, to cut to the chase, haw far did you get with this?

Cheers,
tkb.

(in reply to manish68)
Post #: 8
RE: How to configure Sendmail Server as a Front End Ser... - 15.Nov.2006 11:48:42 AM   
manish68

Hi,

I did manage to configure Sendmail and Exchnage servers they are now in Production with Spanassassin running on the sendmail server, it has not had great impact on spams messages but have reduced the overhead for sure on end users.

As you use OWA can you tell me how do I cofigure OWA and test it.

1. What will the default URL be on the exchange server and how do I access it.
2. How will the end users access it on the Exchange server directly or do I need a seperate Frontend Web server ?

any help will nbe appreciated.

As for your question you need help configuring Spamassassin correct its quite easy I will look up the links and post them here soon to thsi tread.

(in reply to thekillerbean)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> How to configure Sendmail Server as a Front End Server for Microsoft Exchange 2003 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter