• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange2003 migration to Groupwise using broken AD

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Exchange2003 migration to Groupwise using broken AD Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange2003 migration to Groupwise using broken AD - 1.Nov.2006 12:39:33 AM   
stockley

Hi, some help on this would be great.
I have a Win2003 network running Exch2003.
The network consists of 4 sites, each with AD server and Exchange. Lets say 4 domain controllers and 4 exchange 2003 server.

1 site needs to be migrated to Groupwise and can't be done in 1 weekend migration).

I have put together a plan and although it's not the MS recommended path I need some input as to what areas I need to pay special attention to in order to get this to work. This will only be in place for a couple weeks and by then all users will have been migrated to Groupwise. Here's the plan:

1. Image the Active Directory and Exhange server in that office.
2. Break the network in that office (Unplug router). Run NTDSUTIL and seize FSMO roles in order to create a funtional network.
3. Plug network into the new Router (link to new network)
4. Change MX records to point to the new network and configure firewalls etc.
5. Configure Groupwise connector to Exchange

Backout plan will be to reimage the AD and Exchange server and reconnect to the old network.

I need to know a few things in particular:
1. Will I be able to get the Exchange server to accept email once it's been broken from the old network and what sort of things will I need to think about reconfiguring to get this server accepting mail again in the new environment.
2. What do I need to do to clean up the old Exchange network. Can I manually remove connectors and servers etc?

Thanks Brett
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange2003 migration to Groupwise using broken AD - 1.Nov.2006 9:18:51 AM   
jchong

>> Break the network in that office (Unplug router). Run NTDSUTIL and seize FSMO roles in order

From my understanding you're trying to split off a site by cutting it off your your AD network and seizing the roles. This is not a supported migration and will prob run into alot of issues doing something like this.

[No functionality currently exists to split or merge forests, so you must ensure that each forest can support your desired Exchange Server organization before you implement it."]

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/plan/exchange.mspx

James Chong
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

(in reply to stockley)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange2003 migration to Groupwise using broken AD - 1.Nov.2006 4:37:06 PM   
stockley

I understand that this is not the recommended path to take. However the segment we are breaking off only needs to be operational for 2 weeks (until migration to groupwise is complete) and all associated AD servers and network will be discarding afterwards.
The time and resources don't exist to migrate out to another Domain and then migrate again to Groupwise. Also this can't be done over 1 weekend straight into GW as 200 computers need to be rebuilt and also migrated to the new groupwise network.
Therefore I'd like hear of anyone that has tested or attempted this split, and what problems they faced. I am confident that I can get AD working and users logging onto the network etc once split. However I'm not too sure about the Exchange side of things.

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Exchange2003 migration to Groupwise using broken AD Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter