• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

New Exchange server advise please

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> New Exchange server advise please Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Exchange server advise please - 6.Nov.2006 12:42:42 PM   
feedmetwinkies

I am currently running 2 exchange servers front end for OWA requests and a backend for the information stores-  Currently we have 400+ users and we are noticing mail hanging and slowness-  The backend server has dual 2.6ghz cpu's with 2 /12 gigs of RAM-  Both the public and private store are about 46gigs-  We are currently thinking about upgrading our systems as follows.

2 identically servers with a storage array clustered-  Each server would host a mail store.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Is this overkill?

Also I have seen it done before but I don't know how- But after moving users to a new server how would I redirect their outlook profiles to point to the new server?
Post #: 1
RE: New Exchange server advise please - 6.Nov.2006 1:15:02 PM   
jchong

I would first try to determine the source of the bottleneck so you can size your new server correctly. You say you have 400+ users meaning around the 400 range? Your hardware that you mention should handle this fine. However, other issues such as large mbs, and third party apps can bring the number of users that it can support significantly down. Run Exchange Best Practice Analyzer and run the perf analyses. Once you move the mb's the new server, the end user doesn't have to do anything except relaunch outlook, if outlook was opened during the move.

James Chong
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

(in reply to feedmetwinkies)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> New Exchange server advise please Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter