• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Recipient Policy not providing an SMTP address

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Recipient Policy not providing an SMTP address Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recipient Policy not providing an SMTP address - 13.Nov.2006 2:15:12 PM   
musanted

Good Afternoon,

First time post on here and i am relitively new with Exchange 2000.  Up until bout 2 weeks ago the recipient policies were working fine, occassiaonlly we would have to do a reboot on the domain controllers when it stopped working but we now seem to be having a more serious issue since we have tried that and it has not worked.

About 2-3 weeks ago someone created a new recipient policy and i am thinking that is our culprit but how can i verify that this is indeed the reason short of pulling it out?  everything else is working as it should, people are showing up in the GAL but nothing as far as addresses is being done.  I did turn on some diagnostic logging and i could see the user being listed in the GAL but nothing as far as why the new user object will not get a calid SMTP address.

Any thoughts?
Post #: 1
RE: Recipient Policy not providing an SMTP address - 13.Nov.2006 2:29:43 PM   
jchong

Couple reasons. 1. Recipient configuration is not pointing to a valid DC or dead dc. This dc is having replication issues to other dcs. Permissions issues. What change was exactly made to the recipient policy? What does diagnostic logging show, you should have enabled it for proxygeneration.

James Chong
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

(in reply to musanted)
Post #: 2
RE: Recipient Policy not providing an SMTP address - 13.Nov.2006 2:37:17 PM   
musanted

The DC is valid and does not appear to have any other replication issues since the GAL is updating when a new user is created.  A new recipient policy was added for a new domain we added so the users that get that policy get the corresponding domain name in the primary SMTP address.  I was considering pulling that out to see if that is the culprit.  Where do you enable proxygeneration for Exchange 2000, i do not see if under the options for the server.

worthwhile to just ty pointing it to a new DC and see if that is the issue?

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 3
RE: Recipient Policy not providing an SMTP address - 13.Nov.2006 4:49:48 PM   
jchong

Keep in mind that recipient polices work on first match clause meaning, if you have more than one recipient policy, the one with higher priority or top of list gets processed first. If it stamps a user that user is done and other policies will not get applied. This is by design just to make you aware. Some people create multiple recipient policies and often wonder why existing ones don't work.

James Chong

(in reply to musanted)
Post #: 4
RE: Recipient Policy not providing an SMTP address - 14.Nov.2006 9:52:05 AM   
musanted

Yes we do have multiple policies but none of them are stamping anything at this time

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 5
RE: Recipient Policy not providing an SMTP address - 15.Nov.2006 3:17:31 PM   
jchong

Try re-running domainprep.

James Chong

(in reply to musanted)
Post #: 6
RE: Recipient Policy not providing an SMTP address - 16.Nov.2006 1:10:24 PM   
musanted

If my reading is correct it looks as if these are the two groups that give Exchange permissions to make changes to AD objects via Recipient Update Services.

Exchange Domain Servers Group
The Exchange Domain Servers global security group contains the computer accounts of all Exchange servers in the domain. Though it is created by DomainPrep, the Exchange Domain Servers group is not populated until the actual installation of Exchange 2000.
The Exchange Domain Servers group is necessary for Recipient Update Service, which is needed in every domain of your Exchange organization. This includes user domains, which do not contain Exchange servers but do have mail-enabled users. Recipient Update Service is used by Exchange to generate and update default and customized address lists and to process changes made to recipient policies.
For more information about Recipient Update Service, see the Exchange 2000 online documentation.
Exchange Enterprise Servers Group
The Exchange Enterprise Servers group consists of every Exchange Domain Servers group in your organization. In other words, every domain with an Exchange server, along with every domain in which DomainPrep has been run and that has an active Recipient Update Service, belongs to the Exchange Enterprise Servers group.
This group is populated immediately when DomainPrep adds the Exchange Domain Servers group from the current domain to it. Recipient Update Service eventually adds the Exchange Domain Servers groups from all other domains that have an active Recipient Update Service.

Now since we have the Messaging and TRHMC domains I looked at each of these groups in the two domains and this is what I found.

Messaging Domain (Child Domain where mail servers are located)

Administrator
            Exch03
            Exch04
            Exch05

Exchange Domain Servers\Messaging
            Exchange Domain Servers\TRHMC

TRHMC Domain (Parent Domain)

Exchange Domain Servers Group (this is where is gets a bit odd)
            Administrator
            AUTOTCK
            Heat, System
            Journal
            SVCAccount
            TAG07305

Exchange Domain Servers\Messaging
            Exchange Domain Servers\TRHMC

In looking at the security for AD, the TRHMC\Exchange Enterprise Servers Group is the one with Special Permissions to modify AD, do think this could be our problem since none of the Exchange Servers are actually a member of the TRHMC\Exchange enterprise Servers Group????

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 7
RE: Recipient Policy not providing an SMTP address - 16.Nov.2006 1:22:31 PM   
jchong

Yes this part does not seem correct.

Exchange Domain Servers Group (this is where is gets a bit odd)
            Administrator
            AUTOTCK
            Heat, System
            Journal
            SVCAccount
            TAG07305

Re-run domain prep or just make it look like

Administrator
            Exch03
            Exch04
            Exch05

Then you might have to restart your Exchange SA which will restart everything, then re-run rus. If this doesn't work, just re-run domainprep, then verify that the exchange domain servers group looks correct.

James Chong

(in reply to musanted)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Recipient Policy not providing an SMTP address Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter