• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Replacing Existing Exchange 2003 Server?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Replacing Existing Exchange 2003 Server? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Replacing Existing Exchange 2003 Server? - 15.Nov.2006 12:54:21 PM   
davidro

Replacing Existing Exchange 2003 Server? (this is my 1st post to the forum) Hi, We're a small company with a single Exchange 2003 server and 2 Domain Controllers.  The Exchange server we have is showing signs of it's age and on it's last legs...  I have hardware for a new server to replace it (need to keep the same server name and IP Address), does anyone know of a good article for a procedure to do the replacement? Thanks,
Post #: 1
RE: Replacing Existing Exchange 2003 Server? - 15.Nov.2006 2:24:17 PM   
jchong

There is a 32 open session limit in Exchange, but in your case I'm not sure this would cause that. To be sure verify that you're getting the event id 9646 as described in this article.

Event ID 9646 is logged in the application event log of your Exchange Server 2003 computer when a client opens many MAPI sessions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B842022

James Chong
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

(in reply to davidro)
Post #: 2
RE: Replacing Existing Exchange 2003 Server? - 15.Nov.2006 3:39:42 PM   
davidro

Hello JChong,

I think you may have replied to the wrong post.

But I still would like to know the answer to 'Replacing Existing Exchange 2003 Server?'

Thanks,

Dave

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 3
RE: Replacing Existing Exchange 2003 Server? - 15.Nov.2006 4:18:37 PM   
jchong

ooops wrong post. Yes follow this doc. All you need to do is build this new Exchange server, move all mailboxes over then re-home all the services listed in this article. Then you can decomission the first ex server. It's best to shut down your first ex server for couple days to ensure there is no issues before you uninstall it.

How to remove the first Exchange 2000 Server computer from the site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307917

But if you're needing to keep the same hostname and IP, then this of course will require down time.

1. Make a good backup say Friday night. Shut it down. Rebuild your new server exactly like your old one same hostname, storagegroup name, partition paths etc. Then you will have to perform an Exchange install with the /disasterrecovery switch, then restore your db.

It's not the preferred method. Why do you need to keep same hostname and IP?

James Chong

(in reply to davidro)
Post #: 4
RE: Replacing Existing Exchange 2003 Server? - 16.Nov.2006 9:19:36 AM   
vishal_breed

Hi davidro,

Considering you have E2K3 on memmber server; here is the plan.

1. Please take Exchange online / offline backup & shutdown this server.
2. Then reset Exchange computer account in Active Directory.
3. Then Install W2K3 & keep the same computer name + IP address & join to Active Directory.

Then follow the following articles.

1. How to Move Exchange Server 2003 to New Hardware and Keep the Same Server Name http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/Guides/SvrConsUsingE2k3/454d6010-ce35-4b50-91e0-49d342f7ce46.mspx?pf=true

2. MS KB 822945 - How to move Exchange 2003 to new hardware and keep the same server name  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822945

You may also require to have a look at this article incase you face any problems starting Exchange services even Setup is completed properly. This is the best & only method to move your Exchange server to new hardware where you want to keep the same name & IP address.

* MS KB 325674 - System Attendant does not start after disaster recovery installation, and event ID 9022, 9149, 1005 messages occur http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297289

With Regards,
Vishal Breed (919820813222)

Remember, I am not miles away but just a mail away.

(in reply to davidro)
Post #: 5
RE: Replacing Existing Exchange 2003 Server? - 17.Nov.2006 2:29:04 PM   
davidro

Thanks for your replies, you guys are very helpful.

I should mention the server we have is W2K with Exchange 2003...

On the "How to Move Exchange Server 2003 to New Hardware and Keep the Same Server Name"  - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/Guides/SvrConsUsingE2k3/454d6010-ce35-4b50-91e0-49d342f7ce46.mspx?pf=true

The KB says -  "To move Exchange 2003 to a new computer and keep the same server name, the new computer must have the same operating system installed as the original computer. To move Exchange 2003 to the new computer, follow the procedure below."
Question - Can I upgrade the OS to Windows 2003 afterwards?  Why does the OS need to be the same?

The KB recomends -  "Make a full backup of all the Exchange 2003 storage groups and the Site Replication Service (SRS) database on the existing Exchange 2003 computer." 
Question - Can this be done with NTBACKUP?  Is there a better method?

Thanks,

Dave

(in reply to vishal_breed)
Post #: 6
RE: Replacing Existing Exchange 2003 Server? - 17.Nov.2006 2:46:44 PM   
jchong

>Question - Can I upgrade the OS to Windows 2003 afterwards?  Why does the >OS need to be the same?

Because your Exchange 2003 environment is built around the AD 2000 constraints. When you try to introduce it to 2003 you're trying to upgrade exchange as well to support the new AD 2003 environment though this is not an upgrade procedure when you do /disasterrecovery. That's why when you later decide to upgrade to 2003 OS, you have to re-rerun forest\domainprep from 2003 windows CD.

>Can this be done with NTBACKUP?  Is there a better method?

NTBackup is good.

James Chong

(in reply to davidro)
Post #: 7
RE: Replacing Existing Exchange 2003 Server? - 21.Nov.2006 8:56:26 PM   
davidro

Thanks again for responding to my questions, I really like this forum and it's great that everyone supports each other.  I wish to some day have a chance to contribute. 

I do have another item to check with you guys on, but I will put it on a seperate post later.

Thanks,

Dave

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Replacing Existing Exchange 2003 Server? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter