• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

5.5 backup Question

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> 5.5 backup Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5.5 backup Question - 24.Nov.2006 3:16:58 PM   
pinkpig

Hello all,

I need to try and backup an exchange 5.5 server for someone. But the thing is they are using exchange server as a regular pop3 server. So i guess all mail is kept on the user machine. Eventhough nothing is saved on the exchange server as far as mail goes ( i think) i still need to back it up and be able to restore it to another server and have it operational. I've read MS exchange 5.5 disaster recovery article. But im still un-sure how to go about backing this server i have since things aren't saved on the server.

Can i still just follow the steps in the article and use NTbackup to backup the Directory and information store?. Then on another server i need to have the same info also? Same OS, same orgnization/site, same OS service pack?

The exchange server 5.5 service packs needs to be the same also?

Any help and advice on helping me backup/restore this server would be great.

Thanks
Laura
Post #: 1
RE: 5.5 backup Question - 27.Nov.2006 12:37:22 AM   
vishal_breed

Hi Laura,

On detination server you need Exchange version (so that E55 & SP). I hope you are using NT / 2000 currently. In Windows 2003 installing E55 is not supported. Incase you are using NT OS - & if you wish to migrate to W2K; you need to keep the same server name. If this server os not PDC (of NT) or DC (of AD) the process will be smoother.

As you say users are downloading emails via POP3. It will be better for you to check the size of Priv.EDB as well as as check the each mailbox size from E55 admin console. This will give you idea whether emails are stored on server or downloaded.

For best backup - restore plan I need to understand the topology. Wther E55 is on NT/W2K. Is this E55 server, is a DC or member server.

With Regards,
Vishal Breed (919820813222)

Remember, I am not miles away but just a mail away.

(in reply to pinkpig)
Post #: 2
RE: 5.5 backup Question - 27.Nov.2006 9:56:38 AM   
pinkpig

Hi, vishal_breed

The exchange server is running on on w2k,sp4. Exchange server is not a DC or PDC, another machine on the network is
a DC. So the exchange is just another server handling email on the network.

I checked the Priv.EDB size and its 116MB. I also checked each users mailbox size and most is 0K. A couple of them range from 15K - 57K, and these users havent logged on in a couple of days to check their emails so i guess these are new emails still sitting on the server.

Thank you!
Laura

(in reply to vishal_breed)
Post #: 3
RE: 5.5 backup Question - 28.Nov.2006 1:30:30 AM   
vishal_breed

Hi Laura,

Let me explain you in brief about backup & restore of E55 incase of disaster recovery (this can be also used if you are replacing server hardware or bringing new server). You need to backup Information Stores (priv+pub.edb) & Direcorty Service (Dir.edb). Information store has your emails but Directory services has all information about recipients, settings, sites etc.

1. Offline backup:- Stop DS (Directory Service) & IS (Information Store) service, Then make a copy of DSADATA & MDBDATA. After backup importnant files for us are .edb which are database. Because when the service stops databases are consistance (clean shutdown); therefore we don;t require any log files.

Now install W2K SP4 on new hardware; before brining it in AD, reset Computer Account in from Comuters OU in ADUC. After bringing it in AD; install E55 with same organization & site name (no spelling mistake pls).

Once installation is completed; stop all E55 services & restore your offline backup (make sure new server hardware has same path as previous). It works. I would suggested you to do same in MS Virtual PC or VMWare (it's better to do in Lab if you are doing it for first time).

2. Online backup:- Take online NTBACKUP of DS & IS. Follow the same procedure to install OS & E55 on new hardware. Before restoring DS backup; stop DS service (keep SA service running) & restore DS online backup.

Then start DS service & keep IS service stopped & restore IS online backup. Once restoration is completed; it's done.

I would recommend to go with Offline backup since Database size is too small. As well as installtion of E55 & restoration will not take more than 30 mins if you are using PII processor based CPU. 

With Regards,

(in reply to pinkpig)
Post #: 4
RE: 5.5 backup Question - 28.Nov.2006 4:23:14 PM   
pinkpig

Thanks i will try out your steps.
Exchange Service pack has to be the same also correct?

Thanks
L

(in reply to vishal_breed)
Post #: 5
RE: 5.5 backup Question - 29.Nov.2006 6:31:46 AM   
vishal_breed

Yes. SP version has to be same.

With Regards,

(in reply to pinkpig)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> 5.5 backup Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter