• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Help! IP Questions?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Help! IP Questions? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help! IP Questions? - 25.Nov.2006 12:16:33 AM   
Edin3000gt

Do I need a static IP?
or
Can i have a dynamic IP?(I have this now through ATT)

Here is a little history about my setup?

INTERNET---(Wireless Router)---(DHCP)(2Laptops and 2 PC's, print server) 
                          ........|.......              (Gaming and tivo)
                          :               : 
      (Exchange Server)  (Domain Server)

The wireless router forwords port 25, 443, 23 to my internal address of my exchange server.

I'm half way through the setup for a second time and i'm curious if i can make this work using dynamic ip however i have an account with dyndns.org which forwords all calls to rakovice.dyndns.org to my ip.

I also have a domain at www.rapid-pc-rescue.com which is my current website that i put up. However, I have also purchased www.rapidpcrescue.com to experiment with.

Please help...
Post #: 1
RE: Help! IP Questions? - 25.Nov.2006 12:50:25 AM   
Edin3000gt

Can i do this:

MX Records modified from default. Services may not be hosted by Yahoo!

mx1.biz.mail.yahoo.com     20

mx5.biz.mail.yahoo.com     30

rakovice.dyndns.org           10

as you can tell my domain www.rapidpcrescue.com is hosted by yahoo domains

If i do this does that mean i wont have to use my dns servers with this i can just setup exchange and all mail will be forworded to my router which will then forword to my exchange-server.   ???

Here is a result that i just ran:
telnet 68.95.71.215 25
Connecting To 68.95.71.215...Could not open connection to the host, on port 25:
Connect failed 

I just talked to ATT and Port 25 is open...(unblocked)

< Message edited by Edin3000gt -- 25.Nov.2006 1:55:50 AM >

(in reply to Edin3000gt)
Post #: 2
RE: Help! IP Questions? - 26.Nov.2006 8:28:47 AM   
skydawg

I am kind of at a loss as to what you are asking.  I'll throw out an answer as to what I think you're asking.  The router side of a business should always be static, and you have to use your DNS so Exchange can find AD.  If you can't telnet into your server it usually means DNS problems.

(in reply to Edin3000gt)
Post #: 3
RE: Help! IP Questions? - 26.Nov.2006 11:37:37 AM   
Edin3000gt

What i'm asking is do i need a stati IP? from my internet provider or can i use my dynamic IP?

It is weird because both servers have internet connectivity as well as they can ping each other as well as outside places like my website www.rapid-pc-rescue.com . I dont understand. I'm using Mastering Exchange Server 2003 and Bery Gerber says that i need a static ip for my Domain Server as well as my Exchange Server but if i get internet connection to my router i can then just forword sertain ports to eighter machine using internal ip's....Please Help...

(in reply to Edin3000gt)
Post #: 4
RE: Help! IP Questions? - 26.Nov.2006 2:28:37 PM   
skydawg

Your servers can ping eachother because they are in the same network, even if you ping the outside address, the NAT tells you that you are getting a response because as far as it's concerned it sees the other server.  If you DHCP your outside address, your router won't know when IPs changed and won't forward anything if IPs change. 

Servers are always static, I don't even DHCP and then reserve them, hard set, static.  If for any reason they change, or any aspect of DCHP changes, they (the servers) change with it, and DNS is not updated, you can't do anything.  You need your DNS for AD, which you know Exchange has to have, you lose that, Exchange can't work.  IP address changes on the outside, DNS won't get updated, no one can find you.  Or if you're aware of it, best case scenario, it will still take time (up to 24 hrs) to propigate throughout the internet.  That is what I can tell you, don't know if it's what you're looking for.

(in reply to Edin3000gt)
Post #: 5
RE: Help! IP Questions? - 26.Nov.2006 2:58:57 PM   
Edin3000gt

What i'm trying to see is that would it be possible to setup exchange using my dynamic ip provided by my service provider. My service provider gives me a dynamic ip that is assigned to my router. My router then is 192.168.2.1 and then the servers have static ip but the exchange has a hardwire dhcp reserve so when dhcp updates it always has the same internal ip....If you have a second feel free to call me at 314-471-9359 i can call back if long distance charges apply... please help...

(in reply to skydawg)
Post #: 6
RE: Help! IP Questions? - 26.Nov.2006 5:14:22 PM   
skydawg

No.  Your ISP has to point to your DC and your Exchange, and it has to be static.  If you have an outside address of 198.2.34.56 the NAT would have to point to 192.168.2.1 as your Exchange and then point to whatever your DC is as well. 

You have to tell your ISP you need a static IP on the outside of the router, and that they need to point to your Exchange server as a mail server and point to your DC as well.  It is not recommended that you DHCP (even reserved) any server, as I explained if anything changes in DHCP, the changes will effect the server, and you will have to make more fixes.  DHCP does more then just your IP address. 

You also have to make sure in your DNS that you have your domain, server and mail MX records set right as well.  As in, if your Exchange server is EXCH1, then you would need; exch1.mydomain.com as an MX, mydomain.com as an MX and mail.mydomain.com as an MX, make sure you have your DC and Exchange talking with outside DNS boxes to propigate this as well.

(in reply to Edin3000gt)
Post #: 7
RE: Help! IP Questions? - 26.Nov.2006 5:30:25 PM   
Edin3000gt

What you are saying is that i would have to upgrade my plan and aquire a static ip for exchange to work,,,THere is no possible way of having this happen with dynamic ip...

(in reply to skydawg)
Post #: 8
RE: Help! IP Questions? - 26.Nov.2006 7:21:56 PM   
Edin3000gt

I did some research and i was wondering if i could uses service such as Custom DNS from DynDNS.org instead of getting a static ip? Please help

(in reply to Edin3000gt)
Post #: 9
RE: Help! IP Questions? - 26.Nov.2006 8:20:03 PM   
skydawg

I am just letting you know the way it works.  As I have stated, I don't know anyone that uses a DHCPed server, reserved or not.  I know of one person that uses DynDNS but it's for their home system, if this is a viable solution for you then by all means go for it.  What I laid out is the basic way I have seen businesses connect to the cloud.  If you have tried it but it doesn't work, you answer your own question.  You say you can't FTP in, this points to DNS problems.  I will stick by my last post in which I explained how it works.  If you can get DynDNS to work, great!

(in reply to Edin3000gt)
Post #: 10
RE: Help! IP Questions? - 26.Nov.2006 10:05:57 PM   
Edin3000gt

That is the thing.... This is for my home and i have a cheap internet and the servers were free and software as well. I'm a full time college student so cost is important. I have build this website, www.rapid-pc-rescue.com as a school project.

I also own www.rapidpcrescue.com

I'm wondering if i buy a custom dns from dyndns and have mail.rapidpcrescue.com be the routers ip which then sets up a virtual server for Exchange Server on port 25....

But what should i do about the domain controller?

Help...

If you oculd help me that would be very appreciative and if you have further sugestions i'm very open to all..

Thanks!

(in reply to skydawg)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Help! IP Questions? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter