• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Free/Busy not working .. I have tried everything!

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Free/Busy not working .. I have tried everything! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Free/Busy not working .. I have tried everything! - 1.Dec.2006 12:57:19 PM   
porschester

Hi,

I need help trying to fix a free/busy problem.

The history is that I had Exchange 5.5 and it was upgraded to Exchange 2003 .. all went well and the free busy WAS working afterwards!!

Thgen several months later it just stopped working. Thats it! ;o( -- very annoying!!

The environment is all Exchange 2003 running on Server 2003. There are 3 servers.

- Exchange Frontend with no information stores running, and ..
- Clustered active Exchange Server which runs the mail and has private and public information stores
- Clustered passive Exchange Server which takes over if number 1 fails (also normally a file server)

When I try to run the /cleanfreebusy on a client I get the message "Unable to clean free/busy information on the server"

The Schedule+FreeBusy system folder in the public folders does exist (even though I cant view any items or there are no items in it).

I used the ADSI Edit tool and checked the distinguishedname and sitefolderserver attributes and they are the same as they should be. (as in Misrosoft KB284200 article)

I have not reset the system folders as I am unsure if I will loose public folder information, as the instructions and ramifications are not very clear in the Microsoft article.

I would very much appreciate any assistance that can be offered.

Porschester
Post #: 1
RE: Free/Busy not working .. I have tried everything! - 1.Dec.2006 1:05:39 PM   
jchong

What changed recently? Is this happening for all users? Did you move these users mailboxes across administrative groups?

James Chong
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

(in reply to porschester)
Post #: 2
RE: Free/Busy not working .. I have tried everything! - 1.Dec.2006 1:21:07 PM   
porschester

Hi,

It stopped working like 6 months ago but other matters were more pressing so it had to wait .. since then the latest service packs have been installed on all the servers, a few more small changes have taken place, added users, etc

Yes this problem occurs for all 100 users.

If you're talking about storage groups, yes we have 2 storage groups as the users have a huge quantity of mail and these are spread out on a large RAID disk. Also there are a huge number of public folder items. Would the large sizes affect the free/busy?

Basically I'm assisting an Administrator to fix this problem and the're holes in what we know .. since another organization did the migration .. but it was working after the migration .. and really did stop working overnight.

I'm thinking it may be related to the frontend or cluster? its just a guess.

I have LOTS of screen shots of the system if you'd like to see any aspect.

< Message edited by porschester -- 1.Dec.2006 1:29:43 PM >

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 3
RE: Free/Busy not working .. I have tried everything! - 1.Dec.2006 7:58:51 PM   
jchong

Try this with one user.

Download MFCMAPI

1. Download MFCMAPI, also known as MAPI Editor. http://www.microsoft.com/downloa
ds/details.aspx?FamilyID=55FDFFD7-1878-4637-9808-1E21ABB3AE37&displaylang=en

2. Launch MFCMAPI application. Click OK at the Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI
Editor window. Click Session, and select Logon and Display Store Table.

3. You will now be prompted to create a profile. Note, you must be logged in
with an account that has full rights to your Exchange server, otherwise you will
receive the following error message below when we open the temp table.

Error:
Code: MAPI_E_FAILONEPROVIDER === 0x8004011D
Function
File f:df7830extestsrcmfmapimapistorefunctions.cpp

4. Once logged in, click MDB, and select Get Mailbox Table. A new window display
opens "Server Mailbox Table" From here, you can select the server name you wish
to work with. Select default settings and click OK.

5. You will now see all mailboxes enumerated. You will need to locate the user
that whos Free/Busy is not available.

6. Once you have double clicked the mailbox, highlight Root Container.

7. In the right pane, locate PR_FREEBUSY_ENTRYIDS, right click and select
Delete Property.

8. Expand Top of Information and highlight Inbox.

9. In the right window, if there is a property name of PR_FREEBUSY_ENTRYIDS,
right click on it and choose Delete Property

10. Exit out of MAPI Editor.

11. Go to start run, Outlook.exe /cleanfreebusy on the mailbox

If this doesn't work. Then you will need recreate your schedule free busy system folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822444

James Chong

Post #: 4
RE: Free/Busy not working .. I have tried everything! - 6.Dec.2006 12:14:21 PM   
porschester

Ok I tried the MAPI editor suggested fix and it does not work. I am still getting the error from the client stating that "Unable to clean free/busy information on the server"

I am hesitant to reset the system folders as there are gigabytes of public folder files and I dont want to loose any of them .. this seems too risky! .. Microsoft say that they cant guarantee you wont loose data, that you cant restore from a previous backup since the system folders woiuld have chan ged .. so its really not an option. Terrible news!!!

So I tried a work around, I tried to setup the "Publish to my server" and this did not work as well .. let me explain. In a test environment I was able to publish to a file share but in the live environment I was not.

What I believe is happening is thst because the Exchange FB synchronising is failing the client does not attempt to publish the FB info to the file share location.

If I could only get the Outlook client to ignore the Exchange server and just publish its free/busy information to my server share that would be great. This sounds like a registry hack .. Does anyone know how to do this? Or how to solve the problem?

Also, if i do go down the restore system folders route .. will I loose data? how risky is it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Post #: 5
RE: Free/Busy not working .. I have tried everything! - 6.Dec.2006 3:07:14 PM   
jchong

Do this, just verify that your site folder in adsiedit is not referencing your old Exchange server. If it is, then you prob know this is the problem.

Open ADSI Edit from the Windows 2000 Support Tools, and locate the following item:
CN=[YourAdministrativeGroup],CN=Administrative Groups,CN=[YourOrg],CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=[YourDomain],DC=com To locate the this item, double-click each of the following objects to expand them:
Configuration Container [Computer.Domain.Com]
CN=Configuration, DC=(YourDomainController),DC=com
CN=Services
CN=Microsoft Exchange
CN=(YourOrganization)
CN=Administrative Groups
CN=(YourAdministrativeGroup)

Open the properties of CN=(YourAdministrativeGroup).

On the Attributes tab, under Select a Property to View, click SiteFolderServer. The information displays the old deleted server.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/284200

James Chong

Post #: 6
RE: Free/Busy not working .. I have tried everything! - 8.Dec.2006 12:04:12 PM   
porschester

Thanks for this info as well but this was one of the first things that I tried, the ADSI Edit (I had mentioned this in my first email) .. I really do think I have tried everything!!

Is there anything else I could do?, is there a way I could:

"If I could only get the Outlook client to ignore the Exchange server and just publish its free/busy information to my server share that would be great. This sounds like a registry hack .. Does anyone know how to do this? Or how to solve the problem?"

Thanks again,

< Message edited by porschester -- 8.Dec.2006 12:07:12 PM >

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Free/Busy not working .. I have tried everything! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter