• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Bridgehead install procedure

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Bridgehead install procedure Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bridgehead install procedure - 6.Dec.2006 2:11:27 PM   
yguelce

I need to install Exchange on add't server to serve as a Bridgehead server for connection to my Groupwise server. Why? Well, we're in the process of migrating from Groupwise to Exchange and when running Exchange in cluster environment, the Groupwise connector isn't functional (supported). Therefore, I need to build a second server and the role of this server will be bridgehead. Nonetheless, Im not 100% sure this will work as planned.

Back to the real question.
Is there any special procedure I should follow to install a server as a bridgehead server? Should this install be joining the existence Exchange organization or New Exchange (First in the org) install?

Once installed, how do I change this server role to bridgehead?

Thanks
-YG

Post #: 1
RE: Bridgehead install procedure - 6.Dec.2006 2:57:53 PM   
jchong

>Once installed, how do I change this server role to >bridgehead?

Nothing really, bridgehead server is just a server that YOU dedicated only for routing purposes. Some best practices are hardening the server since it's only used for routing, so you can disable protocols and uncessarily services.

Exchange 2003 SMTP server

Dedicated Internet-facing gateway server for SMTP or bridgehead

• Windows Server 2003 baseline template (Enterprise Client)

• Exchange_2003-Frontend_V1_1.inf

• Exchange_2003-SMTP_V1_1.inf

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Hardening-Exchange-Server-2003-Environment-Part2.html

James Chong
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

(in reply to yguelce)
Post #: 2
RE: Bridgehead install procedure - 6.Dec.2006 3:21:42 PM   
yguelce

Should i join the existence Exchange environment with this server and then change it role to Bridgehead?

How do i change the role to bridgehead?

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 3
RE: Bridgehead install procedure - 6.Dec.2006 3:40:12 PM   
jchong

>Should i join the existence Exchange environment with this server and then change >it role to Bridgehead?

What do you mean? You mean join the server to the existing Exchange org? Are you building a new exchange server to be a bridhead?

How do i change the role to bridgehead?

There is nothing to change. If you're looking for a button to push to change this role there isn't one. You can change it to a routing group master but this doesn't really make it a bridgehead or not, but you can designate this bridghead as a routing group master.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/Guides/E2k3TransnRouting/8eb95223-7e38-45e6-8e26-1aa2dd8a1428.mspx?mfr=true

James Chong

(in reply to yguelce)
Post #: 4
RE: Bridgehead install procedure - 6.Dec.2006 3:56:32 PM   
yguelce

Yeah, I think that was the answer i was expecting. I like to ask question before make these changes. I would hate to finish installing the server into org and have to remove and reinstall it because it wasn't installed properly. Sorry for been a pest.

Thanks for you help.

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 5
RE: Bridgehead install procedure - 6.Dec.2006 4:01:54 PM   
jchong

Not a problem, always better to be safe then sorry.

James Chong

(in reply to yguelce)
Post #: 6
RE: Bridgehead install procedure - 14.Dec.2006 2:04:44 AM   
anandkumardeva

Hello,

Q:Is there any special procedure I should follow to install a server as a bridgehead server?
Should this install be joining the existence Exchange organization or New Exchange (First in the org) install?

A:
1)Before installing new exchange server create an Administrative group and Routing group in an existing exchange server.
2) Install new exchange server and make it as newly created Administrative group.
3)On the old exchange server, in default Routing group connector select local bridgehead server as new server.

Hope this is informative to u.

Regards,
Anand

Once installed, how do I change this server role to bridgehead?

Thanks
-YG

(in reply to yguelce)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Bridgehead install procedure Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter