Bridgehead install procedure (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation

yguelce -> Bridgehead install procedure (6.Dec.2006 2:11:27 PM)

I need to install Exchange on add't server to serve as a Bridgehead server for connection to my Groupwise server. Why? Well, we're in the process of migrating from Groupwise to Exchange and when running Exchange in cluster environment, the Groupwise connector isn't functional (supported). Therefore, I need to build a second server and the role of this server will be bridgehead. Nonetheless, Iím not 100% sure this will work as planned.

Back to the real question.
Is there any special procedure I should follow to install a server as a bridgehead server? Should this install be joining the existence Exchange organization or New Exchange (First in the org) install?

Once installed, how do I change this server role to bridgehead?

Thanks
-YG

jchong -> RE: Bridgehead install procedure (6.Dec.2006 2:57:53 PM)

>Once installed, how do I change this server role to >bridgehead?

Nothing really, bridgehead server is just a server that YOU dedicated only for routing purposes. Some best practices are hardening the server since it's only used for routing, so you can disable protocols and uncessarily services.

Exchange 2003 SMTP server

Dedicated Internet-facing gateway server for SMTP or bridgehead

• Windows Server 2003 baseline template (Enterprise Client)

• Exchange_2003-Frontend_V1_1.inf

• Exchange_2003-SMTP_V1_1.inf

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Hardening-Exchange-Server-2003-Environment-Part2.html

yguelce -> RE: Bridgehead install procedure (6.Dec.2006 3:21:42 PM)

Should i join the existence Exchange environment with this server and then change it role to Bridgehead?

How do i change the role to bridgehead?

jchong -> RE: Bridgehead install procedure (6.Dec.2006 3:40:12 PM)

>Should i join the existence Exchange environment with this server and then change >it role to Bridgehead?

What do you mean? You mean join the server to the existing Exchange org? Are you building a new exchange server to be a bridhead?

How do i change the role to bridgehead?

There is nothing to change. If you're looking for a button to push to change this role there isn't one. You can change it to a routing group master but this doesn't really make it a bridgehead or not, but you can designate this bridghead as a routing group master.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/Guides/E2k3TransnRouting/8eb95223-7e38-45e6-8e26-1aa2dd8a1428.mspx?mfr=true

yguelce -> RE: Bridgehead install procedure (6.Dec.2006 3:56:32 PM)

Yeah, I think that was the answer i was expecting. I like to ask question before make these changes. I would hate to finish installing the server into org and have to remove and reinstall it because it wasn't installed properly. Sorry for been a pest.

Thanks for you help.

jchong -> RE: Bridgehead install procedure (6.Dec.2006 4:01:54 PM)

Not a problem, always better to be safe then sorry. [:)]

anandkumardeva -> RE: Bridgehead install procedure (14.Dec.2006 2:04:44 AM)

Hello,

Q:Is there any special procedure I should follow to install a server as a bridgehead server?
Should this install be joining the existence Exchange organization or New Exchange (First in the org) install?

A:
1)Before installing new exchange server create an Administrative group and Routing group in an existing exchange server.
2) Install new exchange server and make it as newly created Administrative group.
3)On the old exchange server, in default Routing group connector select local bridgehead server as new server.

Hope this is informative to u.

Regards,
Anand

Once installed, how do I change this server role to bridgehead?

Thanks
-YG

Page: [1]