• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Redundant Exchange Servers

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Redundant Exchange Servers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Redundant Exchange Servers - 11.Dec.2006 11:29:16 AM   
AFlowers

Hi, Everybody

We currently have our Exchange 2003 server behind another (3rd party) mail server.  When Exchange isn't available, the other mail server will hold the email until Exchange is ready.  I would like to add another Exchange 2003 server to replicate the mail from one to the other.  Then, if one isn't available, then the other will service the users.  I thought that clustering would be the answer.  However, it appears that clustering requires a single data store which is shared by both Exchange servers.  I would like a solution which would utilize two different message stores.

One of the problems we're having is with Exchange defragmentation.  The defrag utility takes the message store offline for the defrag.  With two servers, I could defrag, or perform other maintenance services on the one, while the other is available to the users.

What is your recommendations for redundant Exchange 2003 servers?  Or, is my approach all wrong? 

Thanks in advance!

Alf

[Edit] Well, after looking at some previous posts asking this same question, it looks as though I have little choice.  I either need to set up a cluster, or try some of the 3rd party failover solutions.  Would you care to share what your experience has been with failover solutions?  Thanks again! - Alf

< Message edited by AFlowers -- 11.Dec.2006 12:07:58 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Redundant Exchange Servers - 11.Dec.2006 3:09:42 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Clustering is fine as far as it goes but you need some decent skillsets to manage it.
DoubleTake and Neverfail are good examples of separate on-fail systems. Then there is the use of Veritas clustering to maintain separate boxes but have them cross site clustered.

Then there is the issue of the defragmentation. You should never need to do an offline defrag, let alone for it to be a problem for you to be doing it often.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to AFlowers)
Post #: 2
RE: Redundant Exchange Servers - 11.Dec.2006 3:40:37 PM   
AFlowers

Hi, Mark.  Thanks for the quick reply.

Rather than clustering, would a front end back end server be a good solution?

Alf

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Redundant Exchange Servers - 14.Dec.2006 8:24:22 AM   
AFlowers

(bump)

Any more recommendations as to a good redundant Exchange server strategy?

We've been running Exchange as a single server, but have no experience with multiple Exchange servers.  How about replication between multiple servers?

(in reply to AFlowers)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Redundant Exchange Servers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter