• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Newbies/Beginners

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Site & Message Boards] >> Message Boards Comments and Suggestions >> Newbies/Beginners Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbies/Beginners - 19.Jan.2007 1:52:22 PM   
msXchanger

I understand there is a certain amount of pride among those members here who have gained their expertise and knowledge in MS Exchange and may find those of us who, despite understanding in many of the Windows Server aspects, are not necessarily trained and do things ourselves as a nuisance.   However, I as a self-taught WS2003 user look to places such as MSExchange.org for expanding my own knowledgebase. 

So, I propose, instead of possibly posting in the high traffic forums filled with techies with knowledge beyond those of us who are self taught leaving our posts to be bypassed and overlooked to create a beginners forum, to be moderated and answered by those who have the patience to answer those of us, if any besides myself who just need a little boost to get over the Exchange hump. 

Thanks for listening.  Great site.
Post #: 1
RE: Newbies/Beginners - 20.Jan.2007 7:59:04 AM   
a.grogan

If it helps, I think that this is a great idea.

Andy Grogan
MSExchange.org Forums Moderator
For my general ramblings about Exchange please visit my website:
W: http://www.telnetport25.com/
B: http://telnetport25.wordpress.com/
M: manifoldmaster@gmail.com

(in reply to msXchanger)
Post #: 2
RE: Newbies/Beginners - 20.Jan.2007 9:47:24 AM   
jcard71

quote:

ORIGINAL: msXchanger

I understand there is a certain amount of pride among those members here who have gained their expertise and knowledge in MS Exchange and may find those of us who, despite understanding in many of the Windows Server aspects, are not necessarily trained and do things ourselves as a nuisance.   However, I as a self-taught WS2003 user look to places such as MSExchange.org for expanding my own knowledgebase. 

So, I propose, instead of possibly posting in the high traffic forums filled with techies with knowledge beyond those of us who are self taught leaving our posts to be bypassed and overlooked to create a beginners forum, to be moderated and answered by those who have the patience to answer those of us, if any besides myself who just need a little boost to get over the Exchange hump. 

Thanks for listening.  Great site.

I think it's hilarious how you back hand everyone on this site and then ask for help?

You might need to take some training to get over the "exchange hump"...

(in reply to msXchanger)
Post #: 3
RE: Newbies/Beginners - 20.Jan.2007 1:49:33 PM   
a.grogan

J, in fairness I can see where you are coming from, but, I personally did not take mseXchangers comments personally. I joined this site in 2005 and although I had a number of years experience with Exchange 5.5 and 2000 I still needed help and I posted asking questions - some of which were answered and some were not.

I found it personally frustrating at the time that when my questions needed an immediate answer, none were forthcoming, this was because I was in a spot and needed a solution.

Over a period of time as my skill base grew I realized that sometimes experienced people do "gloss over" the simple questions asked in a forum, but this was mainly due to the fact that the questions had been asked of them 100 times before and, if someone searched they could find the answer.

I have looked at mseXchangers questions, and although on the surface they may appear simple to some of us, they deal with SMTP, POP3 and IMAP routing - these can be some of the most difficult concepts to get your head around in Exchange (especially if you have come from another mail system).

The forum (or certainly from my experience of MSExchange.org) is for the benefit for all (including - and perhaps especially new people). Whereas I agree perhaps mseXchangers questions could of perhaps been ok with a "bump" rather than a comment, I know a number of people that regard the MSExchange forums here as the best and the most friendly - therefore I personally as a contributor to the forum don't mind being occasionally reminded that viewing a question and glossing over it because it is a little "easy" is somewhat elitist.

I am not having a "go" back J, just asking if we could see mseXchangers point as well as our own. I think the suggestion of beginners forums are great as I think they create an opportunity for all to play a part in the expansion of Exchange.

Thanks

Andy

Andy Grogan
MSExchange.org Forums Moderator
For my general ramblings about Exchange please visit my website:
W: http://www.telnetport25.com/
B: http://telnetport25.wordpress.com/
M: manifoldmaster@gmail.com

(in reply to jcard71)
Post #: 4
RE: Newbies/Beginners - 31.Jan.2007 8:39:24 AM   
Barbara Matysik Magro

Hi,

Thank you very much for your valid suggestions; unfortunately we have no immediate plans to expand the Forums.

Best Regards,

Barbara Matysik-Magro
MSExchange.org Forums Administrator

(in reply to msXchanger)
Post #: 5
RE: Newbies/Beginners - 31.Jan.2007 9:50:02 AM   
msXchanger

I don't see any comment I made that may have been taken as offensive.  I just know what it's like.  I too, have been a moderator on forums (obviously not MS Exchange) and an experienced member and I know what it's like to get the same question asked over and over, or read someone's post and lean towards just not bothering... however, why be a member or mod if you're not going to help. 

I did not backhand anyone, as a matter of fact, I placed 3 posts in these forums... NONE of which were replied to, except for a kind message from Mr. Grogan offering assistance.  My thread was obviously warranted because I couldn't get any help.  With such a monstrous forum it's difficult to find what you need.  A kind "bump" or link would have been beneficial.

I suggest to the moderators here, to possibly post permanent "sticky" threads explaining the most common questions or where or how to go about getting some assistance.  

Unfortunately, the remark to get some training perpetuates any elitist attitude towards some of us who, are well versed in computer literacy and other aspects, may not be familiar with MS Exchange. 

I will continue to use this site as a tutorial and article source, however, I will think twice about posting a message.  I have resolved my AD and Exchange issues on my own, yet I still don't understand some routing aspects.    

I thank you Mr. Grogan, Ms. Magro and JCard for responding.  Take care and God bless. 

(in reply to Barbara Matysik Magro)
Post #: 6
RE: Newbies/Beginners - 31.Jan.2007 9:57:44 AM   
Michael Vella

Hi,

Actually I think posting some more Stickies is a great idea. I'll pass this around to the other mods and hopefully we can see some more Stickies pop up.

MSExchange.org Forum Moderator

(in reply to msXchanger)
Post #: 7
[Deleted] - 27.Nov.2017 11:58:30 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to msXchanger)
  Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Site & Message Boards] >> Message Boards Comments and Suggestions >> Newbies/Beginners Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter