• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Offline defrag - How long does it take?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> Offline defrag - How long does it take? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Offline defrag - How long does it take? - 22.Jan.2007 10:48:21 AM   
Xuser

Hi, our Exch2000 Private Information Store is about 12GB.  Just wondering how long will offline defrag takes for a database this size?
Post #: 1
RE: Offline defrag - How long does it take? - 25.Jan.2007 3:43:57 PM   
Xuser

Well, it seems like no one knows here.  In anycase, I was fortunate to locate an article that says it will take about 5-7GB per hour.  Nothing about what hardware, so I'm going to assume the average of 6GB per hour to defrag.
I'm going to defrag this weekend and will post more information about the time it takes when I'm done.

(in reply to Xuser)
Post #: 2
RE: Offline defrag - How long does it take? - 27.Jan.2007 11:37:32 AM   
Xuser

Well, the offline defrag went well. Took about 1hr 40mins for 13GB using the eseutil /t option which is faster.  The database was defraged and moved to a temporary location. For us, we used a network drive.

(in reply to Xuser)
Post #: 3
RE: Offline defrag - How long does it take? - 30.Jan.2007 6:11:24 PM   
jassyca

Um.. Asking how long it would take is like asking "how high is up"? Depends on your underlying hardware (how fast are the drives, do they do cacheing, etc. etc.) and if your server has anything else it might also have to do during the defrag (for instance, if it's also a DC or runs other services) and if you're gonna use the same default location for the temp files or somewhere else and if somewhere else, how "fast" is that somewhere else? Lots of different factors. But factors that only you will know or can find out anything about.

But now that you're done, make sure you jot the time down in a note to yourself so you'll know next time. And always pad that figure with a few extra hours.. just incase.

(in reply to Xuser)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> Offline defrag - How long does it take? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter