• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Need some advice before I begin

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Need some advice before I begin Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need some advice before I begin - 29.Jan.2007 12:09:38 PM   
Treyiii

 

Posts: 19
Joined: 26.Jan.2007
Status: offline
Hello everyone,

I about to begin setting up a new Exchange 2003 Server and domain.  But before I begin, I want to get a little advice.

I'm planning on installing Exchange on my Domain Controller (because that's the only server I have),  99% of my users will be accessing their mail through OWA and the other 1% will be using POP3.

I have not yet setup the DC or the A or MX Record.  I'm basically at the starting line on this.

Can anyone give me some advice on where to start and what would be the best route to take?

Thanks

_____________________________

Trey
Post #: 1
RE: Need some advice before I begin - 29.Jan.2007 12:24:12 PM   
brenta2

 

Posts: 42
Joined: 31.May2004
From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Status: offline
Hi Trey,

First things first.. You need to set up the domain and get the AD going. Exchange will not work with out that. There are quite a few things to do to prepare for exchange so I would suggest some reading.... 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995843.aspx

Brent Austin
Spammed if you do, Spammed if you don't...

(in reply to Treyiii)
Post #: 2
RE: Need some advice before I begin - 29.Jan.2007 1:41:51 PM   
Treyiii

 

Posts: 19
Joined: 26.Jan.2007
Status: offline
Thanks for the link Brent, I'm sure it will come in handy.

I've installed Server 2000/2003 several times and setup AD and DNS. 

I guess my biggest, and newest challenge will be trying to understand What I need to do for a A Record and a MX Record.

We will be using Charter Communications for our ISP, so do I need to contact them so they can add the A and MX Records?

Thanks

_____________________________

Trey

(in reply to brenta2)
Post #: 3
RE: Need some advice before I begin - 29.Jan.2007 3:13:22 PM   
brenta2

 

Posts: 42
Joined: 31.May2004
From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Status: offline
Hey Treyiii
For sure you need the MX Records Published. Without them, the world does not know who you are (mail wise) and internal mail is all you would get.

As for "A" Records; well I am going out on a limb (not sure if this is what you mean by an A Record) here and saying if you want to be able to use OWA "mail.yourdomain.com" then this is also needing to be published.

Get everything registered domain wise and then tell your ISP to Publish your Mail eXchange and A Records. They should be able to get that done for you.

Here is another link for you...
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Configuring_DNS_for_Exchange_2000.html
It is in regards to Xchg2000 but it will clear up the mud some..

Some tools that will help you later on.
http://www.squish.net/dnscheck/

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/SMTPDIAGdiagnose-Exchange-2003-SMTP-DNS.html

Hope that helps.


Brent Austin
"Spammed If You Do, Spammed If You Don't"

(in reply to Treyiii)
Post #: 4
RE: Need some advice before I begin - 30.Jan.2007 8:20:03 AM   
Treyiii

 

Posts: 19
Joined: 26.Jan.2007
Status: offline
Thanks Brent...

Exactly what I need to know.

_____________________________

Trey

(in reply to brenta2)
Post #: 5
RE: Need some advice before I begin - 30.Jan.2007 10:46:23 AM   
adnandilawarkhan

 

Posts: 10
Joined: 23.Jan.2007
Status: offline
Dear,

Having an Exchange Installed on a Domain Controller, will lead you in indistinguishable problems(as I am working in an organization where there is one Server performing all roles i.e DC, Exchange,DNS,ISA etc etc)

Its better to have some budget and bring new server.

Somehow if u persists to install on 1 server, then you need to Install Windows Server2003 first, then run Exchange Server, then run DNS Services.

During this or after this, ask your ISP to have an MX Record for you, so that you can receive Emails from outside world.ISP will provide you a proxy which you will use in IE proxy settings and 2 IP Address(The DNS and Preffered DNS Servers in the TCP/IP Settings of Server).

Hope it will help u.

Regards
Adnan

Hope it will be ok.

(in reply to Treyiii)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Need some advice before I begin Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts


Follow TechGenix on Twitter