• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

How to know

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> How to know Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to know - 30.Jan.2007 10:37:05 AM   
adnandilawarkhan

Dear members,

I am running out with the problem, very shortly, let me tell all u that recently I am appointed as a Network Engineer in a big group in Saudi Arabia.

There is only a single server, which is Domain Controller, Exchange Server, ISA Server 2000-SP2 ,DNS Server

I dont know whether, this server is front end server or backend server. Somehow users have been complaing and complaing that sometimes they can not reterive Emails using Outlook, sometime network is down etc etc

The very common problem, which even I am facing is that, suppose I try to check my email through internet. When I click "Email" link on the webiste of our organization, it gives me a window requiring me to put username and password. My username is a.khan@algosaibi-gtb.com  where algosaibi-gtb is our Domain Name and algosaibi-gtb.com is FQDN.

Now I used to put the information like this

Username:a.khan
Passowrd:*****

Then the windows goes for sometime and comes again...requirin me to put the username and password again. After 3 or 4 attempts, sometimes I receive an error message of "Access Denied", sometime I am successful in going to my INBOX.

Please tell me how to get rid of this situation.

Regards
Engr.Adnan Dilawar Khan
Post #: 1
RE: How to know - 31.Jan.2007 8:03:25 AM   
RedCellNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: adnandilawarkhan
There is only a single server, which is Domain Controller, Exchange Server, ISA Server 2000-SP2 ,DNS Server

I dont know whether, this server is front end server or backend server.

You really need to get some money from your boss to organise your servers. This is too much, no wonder that users complain.

If there is one server it is a back and front end server.

I think the slow login times has something to do with:
Or..
ISA Server, security too high and maybe then it can not verify your account information on the DC
Or..
DNS is not configured correctly.
Or..
Your network is down when you cant login
Or..
IIS can not verify your account information or is too busy handling requests

Maybe this can help you: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327843/en-us

(in reply to adnandilawarkhan)
Post #: 2
RE: How to know - 31.Jan.2007 10:09:16 AM   
adnandilawarkhan

Dear

Thanks alot for this information,although I knew them, but never practised. Thanks dude.

Another very strange thing happend, when I went to the properties of "Exchange Virtual Server" two tabs appeard  as given 1)General   2)Settings

When I clicked the tab of "Settings" , in order to check the "Form based authenticaiton", I found it "unchecked".

My first question is that what is this, Y it is uncheck, is this not very important to check? What I suppose to do now? Doest it has to do something with OWA?

My second question is that when I "checked" the "Formbased authentication", it gave me a message stating the follwing

"Form based authentication requires clients to use a SSL Connection, If SSL Encryption is not off-loaded  to another source, complete the following

Configure SSL
Restart the IIS Service
"

Now can anyone tell, what is this? What is SSL, Where we used it in Exchange Server 2003.

Regards
Adnan

Engr.Adnan Dilawar Khan
Network Engineer
ALGOSAIBI G.T.B
Saudi Arabia

(in reply to RedCellNL)
Post #: 3
RE: How to know - 31.Jan.2007 2:23:18 PM   
de.blackman

Form based authentication gives you the splash screen web page when logging onto OWA as opposed to the regular login pop-up that appears when connecting to OWA. It is not checked by default but you can enable it at any time. To use form based authentication (FBA) you will need SSL (secure sockets layer) enabled. SSL uses a certificate to encrypt all data transmitted between the client and server so it makes it (as the name says) secure.

http://www.petri.co.il/configuring_forms_based_authentication_in_exchange_2003.htm

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

Post #: 4
RE: How to know - 31.Jan.2007 8:45:12 PM   
msorrenti

In all fairness, you really should ask your boss for training and some additional hardware. You really should never put ISA server on a domain controller. Anyway.  I don't mean any disrespect.

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 5
RE: How to know - 1.Feb.2007 12:10:07 AM   
adnandilawarkhan

Dear Sorrenti,

I respect the posts of members and experts,believe me it gives me grace to deal with my work.

You are right, I need a training, because I want to understand the depth of Exchange.As I did my bachelors in Computer Engineering, and our cirriculum was designed to get major in VLSI and Digital Design. So all these things are very new to me.

In fact it is just two months, I am dealing with Exchange.

Now, last month, we bought two new servers , now can you tell me how should I use them with Windows Server 2003,Exchange Server 2003 and ISA Server 2000.

Waiting for ur reply

Engr.Adnan Dilawar Khan
Network Engineer
ALGOSAIBI G.T.B
Saudi Arabia

(in reply to msorrenti)
Post #: 6
RE: How to know - 1.Feb.2007 2:23:50 AM   
naveenkaran.sr

Dear

Now you have 2 Servers with u, Try to install the AD, DNS and Exchange on one Server and Install ISA on second Server, I would like to tell you that if your using the ISA for Internet Access Authentication, you can ingrate the ISA + SP2 with AD, and Authentication should to basic not integrated, integrated will take time for Authentication at user level, basic will prompt you for user name and password for Authentication. i would like understand what is structure  of ur Server, you said that it is taking time to login while using outlook web mail, have you check OWA Access locally in the Exchange Server using internet explorer using local host , how is speed of  Authentication to OWA, if it working fine how ur using the OWA from ur client system through external ip (Public IP), if it is working fine from local than it may be problem of ur intern band width for ur Exchange OWA for using from outside Network.

Post #: 7
RE: How to know - 1.Feb.2007 3:20:48 AM   
adnandilawarkhan

Dear naveen,

Thanksalot, let me make u a picture once again.

At the moment with current situation, we have only one server(DELL POWEREDGE) running the following roles

1) Domain Controller
2) Exchange Server
3) ISA SERVER 2000-SP2
4) DNS Services

Now the IP address of this server is 200.0.0.10. Whenever someone(user) wants and Internet access, what we do is, we open ISA Management Console and In the Client sets I put the IP address(which will be given to user). After putting that IP Address say(200.0.0.xxx), I ask the user to use the following settings in the Computer

TCP/IP Settings in LAN

IP Address:200.0.0.xxx
Subnetmast: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 200.0.0.250( internal interface of the router)
DNS Primary: 200.0.0.10( Which is the IP address of my server as desribed above)

IE Settings
Proxy: 200.0.0.10      Port:8080

After this user will be enabled to use internet, and if he tries to use MS OUtlook, he will use 200.0.0.10 as POP3 and SMTP.

The Problem is that, whenever user try to check his Emails trough internet,even if he is sitting in the company office, there are various problems which comes

1) Logon windows is displayed again and again
2) Access Denied message Comes
3) You dont have right permissions to display this folder(message appears)

After several tries user gets success in reaching his INBOX.

Moreover, accessing the INBOX through Internet is very very slow.

Now what I have to do in this particular scanario.

Please advise.

I am very thankful to Mr. DEBLACKMAN, who has given a link to the good article, still I need his and other expert's help, in dealing with this.

Please do advise me clearly, as I do not have a deep exposure of Exchange Server 2003.

Thanks once again.

Engr.Adnan Dilawar Khan
Network Engineer
ALGOSAIBI G.T.B
Saudi Arabia

(in reply to naveenkaran.sr)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> How to know Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter