• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Moving mailboxes to a different exchange server.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Moving mailboxes to a different exchange server. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moving mailboxes to a different exchange server. - 11.Feb.2007 12:50:25 AM   
shertbert99

I have an Exchange 2000 server that is also my domain controller. I need to move all my exchange mailboxes off that server and put them on a different Exchange 2000 server. It is the same version but different name.

I tried the migration tool but it says it can only migrate from an exchange server from outside the domain. How can I move my databases over? I only have three. Pub1, priv1, MainEmail.

I also tried copying the databases from my old server over the databases on my new server. They mount if I allow it to override with a restore. But I don't see any usaer mailboxes if I expand those databases. I believe because the users mailbox exchange paths still point to the original Exchange servers "name" and not the new one.  I would  think they should just have a tool that allows you to move these mailboxes to another exchange server within the same domain.

Thanks for any help

< Message edited by shertbert99 -- 11.Feb.2007 12:55:19 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Moving mailboxes to a different exchange server. - 11.Feb.2007 3:29:53 AM   
trevorc

You could move each mailbox from the AD. If you right click on a user in AD and select Exchange Tasks, there is an option to move the Mailbox.

(in reply to shertbert99)
Post #: 2
RE: Moving mailboxes to a different exchange server. - 11.Feb.2007 11:00:57 AM   
shertbert99

Thanks for the information. I looked at it quickly and I don't think that works among seperate exchange servers but I'll take a more detailed look into that feature. Thanks

(in reply to trevorc)
Post #: 3
RE: Moving mailboxes to a different exchange server. - 12.Apr.2007 4:41:35 PM   
a.grogan

Hiya S, you should be able to move the mailboxes between the servers if the are in the same organisation and the same administrative group.

Cheers

< Message edited by a.grogan -- 12.Apr.2007 4:42:54 PM >

Andy Grogan
MSExchange.org Forums Moderator
For my general ramblings about Exchange please visit my website:
W: http://www.telnetport25.com/
B: http://telnetport25.wordpress.com/
M: manifoldmaster@gmail.com

(in reply to shertbert99)
Post #: 4
RE: Moving mailboxes to a different exchange server. - 23.May2007 5:10:11 AM   
Synectics

Can mailboxes be moved from one exchange 2000 box to another within a different administrative group?

(in reply to a.grogan)
Post #: 5
RE: Moving mailboxes to a different exchange server. - 23.May2007 2:57:56 PM   
a.grogan

Sorry Synectics, my last post was misleading, you can move mailboxes to a different server in a different group IF your Exchange 2000 is using Native mode.

Thanks

A

Andy Grogan
MSExchange.org Forums Moderator
For my general ramblings about Exchange please visit my website:
W: http://www.telnetport25.com/
B: http://telnetport25.wordpress.com/
M: manifoldmaster@gmail.com

(in reply to Synectics)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Moving mailboxes to a different exchange server. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter