• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay...Please help.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay...Please help. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
550 5.7.1 Unable to relay...Please help. - 11.Feb.2007 11:51:22 AM   
mmercier

We have clientes connecting externally via POP3 with Outlook Express.  Prior to installing the Edge Transport server the clients could send and receive mail without issue.  Once the Edge server was put in place the clients can receive but can no longer send to any external domains.  However, clients within the organization connecting to the Exchange Server with Outlook can send mail to external dominas without issue.  Clients outside of the organization can connect through OWA and send email to external domains without issue.  The clients get the "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay" message.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We have used the Set-ReceiveConnector permissions and this has not resolved the issue.
Post #: 1
RE: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay...Please help. - 17.Feb.2007 10:29:49 AM   
Nicodemius

Check your SMTP settings, also check whether or not it requires authentication.

(in reply to mmercier)
Post #: 2
RE: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay...Please help. - 17.Feb.2007 11:02:41 AM   
mmercier

Where can you check and /or set the SMTP settings?  Is there GUI or cmd?  Thanks for the post.

(in reply to Nicodemius)
Post #: 3
RE: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay...Please help. - 18.Feb.2007 12:48:52 AM   
drmorley

I'm having the exact same problem.  If anyone has a solution I'm all ears.  

(in reply to mmercier)
Post #: 4
RE: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay...Please help. - 19.Feb.2007 3:26:01 AM   
ahanbali

check the send connector settings on your server!!
and check the subscription with the edge server!!

Abdelrahim I. Al-Hanbali
www.micromissions.com

(in reply to drmorley)
Post #: 5
RE: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay...Please help. - 19.Feb.2007 10:51:31 AM   
mmercier

What settings should be checked on the send connector.  Everything worked up until an Edge Server was introduced.  We have since taken the Edge server out but still have the same problem.  Thanks!

(in reply to ahanbali)
Post #: 6
RE: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay...Please help. - 19.Feb.2007 10:52:32 AM   
drmorley

I'm having the same problem and I don't even use an Edge Server.

(in reply to mmercier)
Post #: 7
RE: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay...Please help. - 13.Mar.2007 1:10:39 AM   
hieenslee

I'm having the same problem and I don't even use an Edge Server. Anyone help, PLEASE!!!

(in reply to drmorley)
Post #: 8
RE: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay...Please help. - 23.Mar.2007 6:54:19 AM   
hkboy

We are having the same problem. We are using all roles on a single server. How, where we can enable a setting for smtp relay for external POP3 users? Has someone done it?

Error: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

Can someone please guide how we can allow authenticated users to successfully send the emails externally?

thanks

(in reply to hieenslee)
Post #: 9
RE: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay...Please help. - 23.Mar.2007 9:13:12 AM   
hkboy

Finally it is working. The client connector for POP3 applications listen by default on port 587. so make sure when you setup the outlook the smtp port is 587. Also use your username and password for the smtp authentication. If you make any changes to the Receive Connector properties, make sure you restart the Hub transport service and test your settings.

cheers

(in reply to hkboy)
Post #: 10
RE: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay...Please help. - 30.Oct.2007 7:36:45 AM   
screeeeeem

and if we want to use port 25 how can we configure that ?

(in reply to hkboy)
Post #: 11
RE: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay...Please help. - 3.Aug.2008 4:36:40 AM   
shijaz

See this as well:
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/12/28/432013.aspx

(in reply to mmercier)
Post #: 12
RE: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay...Please help. - 8.Feb.2010 12:48:25 PM   
mstrwhizrd

Finally... after days of struggling with this I was finally able to get this issue resolved.

I am currently running an Exchange 2007 server as well as an Edge Transport Server.

The problem I was having was a program that we use generates automated notification emails that were being sent to internal email addresses as well as external (hotmail, Gmail, yahoo) email address. The internal address were receiving the notifications without issue, unfortunately the same wasn’t true for the external address. My first troubleshooting step was to check the logs and event viewer to see if I could find some clue as to why these emails were failing. That turned out to be an extreme waste of time. Next, I logged into the server where the emails were being sent from and began using telnet to troubleshoot. This was the biggest help to me in figuring this issue out. Here is the link that I followed: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153119

Testing with telnet now, as soon as I hit enter on the “RCPT TO:email@domain.com” command I would constantly get the “550 5.7.1 Unable to relay” error message.  To fix this I followed the steps in this link that was provided by shijaz. http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/12/28/432013.aspx  (I used option 1)  The thing that they forget to mention in this article and what I think is critical to your success in this operation is to restart the “Microsoft Exchange Transport” service.  If you don’t restart the service this will not work. Trust me, I know from experience. Thanks to hkboy for pointing out that little gem. The restart of this service only takes about 15 seconds so your users shouldn’t notice any interruptions in service. After restarting the service I also did a start-edgesynchronization command from the EMS console on my Exchanges server since I am running an Edge Transport server. I’m not sure if this step is needed but it couldn’t hurt. After all of this, I went back to my telnet client and was able to successfully send external email through Exchange!

Thanks to everybody who posted on this issue. Thanks to your posts I was able to piece together a solution that worked for me. I now hope that my post will help another admin avoid the gray hair that troubleshooting this issued caused me.

(in reply to shijaz)
Post #: 13
RE: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay...Please help. - 14.Apr.2011 1:09:30 AM   
damitha

Check the below link:

http://itdreaming.blogspot.com/2011/04/fixed-outlook-pop3-server-error-550-571.html

Many Thanks

(in reply to mmercier)
Post #: 14

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay...Please help. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter