• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Unusual scenario, message routing troubles

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Unusual scenario, message routing troubles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unusual scenario, message routing troubles - 12.Feb.2007 12:51:18 AM   
tmblackflag

As part of a class project I have to configure servers for three different theoretical companies. Each one must has an email server with its own unique domain name. All three boxes are hooked up to a switch, then a router, but have no network access beyond the router.

Instead, i gave each computer a static IP address and hard-coded each other computer's IP address and hostname into the "HOSTS" file.

The trouble is, the windows 2003 box can't send email to the 2000 box, yet the 2000 box can send email to the 2003 box. Also, the 2003 box can't reply to the 2000 box's messages.

When i try to send email from the 2003 box to the 2003 box, i don't get a return to sender so its gotta be going somewhere.

The HOSTS files for both boxes current look like this:
The file is in the windows/system32/drivers/etc folder

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.1.12    Lincoln.com
192.168.1.10    serfin-lincoln.com

They have their own ip and name, as well as the other boxes ip and name.

I haven't even tried configuring the linux box yet.

So, does anyone have any ideas why the 2000 box can't receive any email, besides email it sends to itself?

Or is there any alternative method to setting up my network, given the business problem.
Post #: 1
RE: Unusual scenario, message routing troubles - 12.Feb.2007 10:18:21 AM   
uemurad

I'm assuming from the information you gave that the two servers are 192.168.1.10 and .12, correct?  I'm assuming also that you are using a 24-bit subnet mask (or at least one that spans both addresses).  Do you have TCP port 25 open in both directions?  Did you change the outbound port, or configure a Smarthost in the direction that isn't working?

Do the undelivered messages end up in a queue destined for the other server?
What does Message Tracking tell you?
Have you tested with telnet?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to tmblackflag)
Post #: 2
RE: Unusual scenario, message routing troubles - 12.Feb.2007 4:12:34 PM   
tmblackflag

yeah the information on the servers is correct with .10 and .12

The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

I'm using a Cisco 2600 router and we reset it before the configuration so anything related to port 25 being open is default settings.

The undelivered messages do indeed end up in a queue, and there is an error related to it being unable to resolve the DNS server.

I'm not running a DNS box on either server however, and in the TCP/IP settings i point each server to itself for DNS.

I never changed any outbound ports (nor do i know how to) and i have no clue what a smart host is.

Where can i check message tracking? how do i test with Telnet?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Unusual scenario, message routing troubles - 12.Feb.2007 4:36:35 PM   
uemurad

Since all three boxes are connected to the switch, the router should not be part of the problem.  You can confirm this by performing a TraceRt from one machine to the other (and vice versa).  Unless the switch is managed, there shouldn't be any hops between the two servers.

Where are the two servers supposed to be getting DNS information?  Check ipconfig /all.

If the two boxes are really acting as separate domains, you'll need DNS MX records so that each knows how to route messages to the other.  Are each of these boxes also acting as Domain Controllers?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 4
RE: Unusual scenario, message routing troubles - 12.Feb.2007 7:16:46 PM   
tmblackflag

i configured each server's tcp/ip information so it points to itself for the DNS server.

Each box is acting as its own domain controller.

How do i go about configuring DNS MX records because it sounds like its all i need? And how is the DNS MX record different then hardcoding the IP addresses with domain names into the HOSTS file?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 5
RE: Unusual scenario, message routing troubles - 12.Feb.2007 9:48:57 PM   
uemurad

If you think about it, no one can be expected to know about all the SMTP domains out in the world.  DNS is the mechanism for discovery.  The root DNS servers hold all of the data.  Your local DNS server can cache information so that it can return addresses of already learned names quickly.

You want to create DNS zones on each server for the domain on the other.  Within that DNS zone, create a separate MX record pointing to the other Exchange server.

Do you have DNS running on both servers?  Do you know how to create a zone and records inside a zone?  Do you know the different types of DNS records? 

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 6
RE: Unusual scenario, message routing troubles - 12.Feb.2007 10:28:27 PM   
tmblackflag

its all starting to make some sense. I don't have a DNS Server installed on either box

I don't know how to create a zone or add records inside the zone. I also don't know the different types of DNS record. I'm a student and this is all a learning experience for me.

Do you have a link to a guide tailored to my troubles?

Your help up to this point is greatly appreciated by the way!

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 7
RE: Unusual scenario, message routing troubles - 13.Feb.2007 10:28:47 AM   
uemurad

I don't have a list of materials appropriate for someone starting out.  The topics you need to cover include Windows Server (e.g. 2003) and Active Directory.  Within those you should find information about DNS and specifically Microsoft's implementation.  It would be helpful to have a working knowledge about IP addressing and routing, TCP/IP and what ports are and do, and FQDNs (fully qualified domain names).  Also about command-line tools like PING, TRACERT, NSLOOKUP, TELNET, and IPCONFIG to help with troubleshooting.

I'd suggest you search the Internet (start with the MSExchange.org site - there are tons of great documents here) for some of these topics.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Unusual scenario, message routing troubles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter