• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RE: Exchange TimeZone Update Tool

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> RE: Exchange TimeZone Update Tool Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Exchange TimeZone Update Tool - 23.Feb.2007 9:16:58 AM   
madcow

Thank you Skully.

(in reply to skully58)
Post #: 21
RE: Exchange TimeZone Update Tool - 23.Feb.2007 1:08:51 PM   
jiambor

In my lab enviroment, I did find that what hywaydave posted earlier seems true.  The Exchange Update Tool configuration utility will only find users that have created a calendar object in OWA.  My question is, has anyone just added mailboxes to the mailboxes.txt file with the correct TZ and run the tool?  It still does the job right?

If it does, and in case anyone else needs this, I used log parser to grab a list for me.  Here is the query

logparser "SELECT LegacyExchangeDN,displayName FROM 'LDAP://{Your domain}/DC=domain,DC=com' WHERE msExchHomeServerName = '/o={Your Exchange Org name}/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn={Exchange server name}'" -i:ADS -o:DATAGRID -objClass:User

The LegacyExchangeDN is what you need.  I'm selecting the DisplayName as well cause need to edit the list and it makes it easier to find unwanted mailboxes.  Get rid of the system mailboxes and other mailboxes that will for sure not need to be updated (we have some for resumes and such).   I used ADSIEDIT to copy the msExchHomeServerName string out of.  This limited my query to only users with mailboxes on my one Exchange server.  If I tried to use the mail field, I would have gotten a lot more hits from accounts that have been mail enabled with external addresses. 

This works for me great as all my users are in one timezone.  All I need to do is copy the DATAGRID output into Excel, delete the mailboxes I don't want, delete the DisplayName column, copy the Exchange server hostname in the second column, and then copy Eastern Standard Time in the third colum.  Copy it out to notepad.

/o=ExchOrg/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=username     ExchServerName    Eastern Standard Time

I was trying to think how someone with users in multiple timezones can use this.  The only thing I can think of is if you actually populate the office or state in AD.  Then you can add that field to the logparser query and sort by it in Excel.  Copy\paste the timezone accordingly.

(in reply to madcow)
Post #: 22
RE: Exchange TimeZone Update Tool - 25.Feb.2007 7:45:30 PM   
Exch2003

Are we suppose to use the MSEXTMZ.exe or the MSEXTMZCFG.exe file?

OR, are we suppose to use both during the DST update?

Please help.  This seems so difficult and long to do.

I really would appreciate it.

Thanks.  :-)

Lena

(in reply to hywaydave)
Post #: 23
RE: Exchange TimeZone Update Tool - 25.Feb.2007 8:53:46 PM   
sabel9579

I think MSFT is just fooling everyone.  There is not going to be a perfect DST migration as their are too many different factors and MSFT constantly updating their docs does not help.

I just did all our workstations, Exchange servers, and mailboxes this weekend.  I'm not optimistic that everything was completely successful.  The users need to be dilligent about their own calendars and if they see an appointment that is wrong they need to update it.... plain and simple :)

(in reply to Exch2003)
Post #: 24
RE: Exchange TimeZone Update Tool - 26.Feb.2007 5:04:48 PM   
jiambor

Did all ours this past weekend as well.  We already found one user who has recurring meeting events that did not get updated on the meeting organizers mailbox.  Have not been able to figure out what happen yet, but it does seem that the tool will not get everything and it is definately going to fall in the hands of the users.  We also have a bunch of shared Public Folder calendars for reserving conference rooms.  The Exchange Update tool will not update events in PF and I believe that in order for the Outlook tool to fix it, you have to be the owner\creator of the event.  Not sure what we are planning to do about that yet, but it looks like it might be us manually fixing all the events during the delta period. 

BTW, was looking at some of the user output files from the Exchange Update Tool V2 and found it odd that it was checking events outside the delta.  There were only a few, but don't understand why at all.  The times were not changed, but the fact that it tapped them at all seemed strange to me.  Haven't heard from any users indicating that they got update notifications for events outside the delta.  Wonder if it has anything to do with the fact the user had no Time Zone data set to the mailbox? hmmm

(in reply to sabel9579)
Post #: 25
RE: Exchange TimeZone Update Tool - 27.Feb.2007 4:43:55 PM   
Forkster

Jiambor - we've run into the exact same issue you have so you're in the same boat.  I think a majority of the Exchange admins like myself are finding the Exchange tool IS NOT updating reoccuring appointments.

To make the matter worse, it resent them to all mail users without fixing the times. nice surprise for our monday clients.  Tens of thousands of calendar appointments resent... where's that in the document?

I half-expect Microsoft to update their tool AGAIN - this time to fix the re-occuring meetings.

(in reply to jiambor)
Post #: 26
RE: Exchange TimeZone Update Tool - 27.Feb.2007 5:07:06 PM   
jchong

One option I'm currently looking at is using our software pusher similar to SMS to push out the client tool tzmove then either pushing out the run once with the tzmove.exe \quiet or using a logon script. The only caveats is if multiple users logon, then run once will not update the appropriate profile and logon scripts you don't really want it to run more than once since the utility cannot deciper whether appts were created pre\post dst patching and will move correct appts items after dst patching as well. Both tests have worked well in lab. Given that the Exchange calendar udpate tool processes 6-10 mailboxes (v2) is a bit fast but still slow, I don't see myself spending a weekend to do a few thousand mailboxes.

James Chong (MVP)
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

(in reply to Forkster)
Post #: 27
RE: Exchange TimeZone Update Tool - 28.Feb.2007 8:39:34 AM   
sabel9579

That's exactly what I did jchong.  I gave up on the server side utility awhile back.  I pushed out the outlook tool via GPO to all the workstations.  I then created a logon script that when a user logs on it will first check for a log file in a certain shared location.  If the log file exists then the script simply exits out.  If the file does not exist it runs the script then creates the log file. 

So far there have been some minor issues.  Mainly from what I believe is that we patched all our workstations about a month ago and patched the exchange servers with 926666 last weekend.  I'm sure in between that users were creating calendar appointments which is why some appointments are still 1 hour off.

There is no perfect solution... more like minimizing any problems and informing users to be dilligent about checking their calendars in the delta period.

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 28

Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> RE: Exchange TimeZone Update Tool Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter