• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

ESE Error 478

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> ESE Error 478 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ESE Error 478 - 1.Mar.2007 4:49:49 AM   
trevorc

Hi,

This is a long story so please sit back and enjoy reading  I hope someone can help me tho.

I have two Exchange 2K Standard SP3 running on Win2K Server SP4. One of them is a DC (MAIL1) and is an internet facing server whilst the other one is a member server (MAIL2) and has no internet. All mailboxes where on MAIL1 and everything was working well.

A few months ago, one of the drives on a RAID-5 array on MAIL1 failed, so i replaced it. From that day on, i kept receiving error 478 from ESE whenever i run Windows Backup on the Information Store. Below is a copy of the error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ESE
Event Category: Logging/Recovery
Event ID: 478
Date:  2/28/2007
Time:  8:34:12 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: MAIL1
Description:
Information Store (3272) The streaming page read from the file "N:\Exchsrvr\Mail_Storage\Mail_Storage.stm" at offset 5373952 (0x0000000000520000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes failed verification due to a page checksum mismatch.  The expected checksum was 2176447227 (0x81b9f2fb) and the actual checksum was 2206919569 (0x838aeb91).  The read operation will fail with error -613 (0xfffffd9b).  If this condition persists then please restore the database from a previous backup.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

I used the ISINTEG and ESEUTIL tools to try repair the database but for nothing. I then moved all the mailboxes onto MAIL2 and left them there for a few weeks. The backup was running well on MAIL2 and i had no errors.

I noticed that altrough MAIL1 had no mailboxes, it's .stm and .edb files where still at 12Gb (which was strange because my understanding is that this should have decreased after a defrag once there where no mailboxes). I decided to delete the Mail Storage Group on MAIL1, recreate it and move the mailboxes from MAIL2 to MAIL1 (because the latter server is more powerful).

So that is what i did, and i started with a fresh .stm and .edb file. I moved 4 mailboxes back to MAIL1 and run the backup again but the same error came in Event Viewer. I am completely baffled because i thought the problem was from a corrupted database but since i started new .stm and .edb files, this does not seem to be the problem.

Anyone has an idea on where the problem might be? I have been trying to solve it for several months now!

Thanks in advance.

Trevor
Post #: 1
RE: ESE Error 478 - 10.May2012 1:03:43 PM   
techinfo

Runing an eseutil /p or eseutil /d /r or ISINTEG command line tools against Exchange database files is called hard repair. These tools analyze critical structures of the database file and checks for damaged pages.

If these utilities encounters a page that is damaged or unable to read, it simply removes the page. Thus, in this situation, critical data may be lost after the repair finishes. This data could be your important emails, contacts, attachments or a part of a system table. It is impossible to find out how much data you've lost?

It is always good to restore from a most recent backup file whenever possible. In case, you have not updated backup file or backup is itself corrupted, you can use a third party Exchange database recovery program like: http://goo.gl/PyCxyQ

This tool can help you to avoid critical data loss problems and you will get upto 100 % accurate data in your database. It is compatible with all versions of MS Exchange Server i.e. 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2000, and 5.5

< Message edited by techinfo -- 10.Oct.2015 11:42:38 AM >

(in reply to trevorc)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> ESE Error 478 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter