• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

NDR 4.4.7 Errors

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> NDR 4.4.7 Errors Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NDR 4.4.7 Errors - 9.Mar.2007 6:33:48 PM   
klimaxreturns

I have an exchange 2003 sp2 box that is able to receive fine for all email addresses. Sending email is fine for every other domain except to two domains that belong to @verizon.net and @rcn.com email addresses. I checked the queues and the emails sent to @verizon.net and @rcn.com seem to say smtp protocol error.  I did a nslookup for verizon.net and got the mx record of relay.verizon.net, which is correct. I did a tracert and received up to 11 hops back, but with some that did time out 2 of the 3 times it tried contacting one of the destinations. I checked the route of the smtp message with message tracker on exchange 2003 and it showed up that it tried multiple attempts to connect to multiple smtp servers that start with sv3pub.verizon.net up to sv22pub.verizon.net.  I did notice that my logs noted down a DCOM with event ID 10009 "DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer "  " using any of the configured protocols." Does anybody have a clue what is going on? Thank you in advanced for any help available.
Post #: 1
RE: NDR 4.4.7 Errors - 12.Mar.2007 9:55:30 AM   
uemurad

Have you attempted a manual test using telnet via port 25?  You can get a better idea of the SMTP problem that way.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to klimaxreturns)
Post #: 2
RE: NDR 4.4.7 Errors - 12.Mar.2007 10:59:23 AM   
klimaxreturns

Hi uemurad,

I did a telnet on relay.verizon.net and it connects fine with the standard mail server greeting. I was able to issue commands like ehlo. I just heard from one of my users, that has a verizon.net account, had received one of my test emails to him an hour later after i posted my  message here. I am having my other user try to send a test email to another verizon.net addy right now. Is there any other ways for me to test why i'm having only trouble sending emails to verizon.net and rcn, but I have no trouble sending to major corporations like merrill lynch or morgan stanley? Thanks again for any advice available.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: NDR 4.4.7 Errors - 12.Mar.2007 12:11:45 PM   
uemurad

I'm not sure what type of assurances you want.  There are three basic areas to be concerned about.

Your systems
The public Internet
The systems at the receiving side

You can analyze and control the first
You can analyze but probably not control the second (at least not in real-time)
You can't really do much about the third

Ask the user with the verizon.net account to copy and paste the message header back to you.  See if you can determine from the timestamps where the delay occurred.  You can also check Message Tracking to see if the message left your system immediately, or if there was a delay.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 4
RE: NDR 4.4.7 Errors - 12.Mar.2007 1:18:22 PM   
klimaxreturns

One of my users just told me that her client, who uses a verizon account, has begun receiving her email. I had told my user to suggest to her client to contact verizon about the issue of not being able to receive email from us. I guess verizon has resolved whatever issue that was on their side and emails are now going through fine. Thanks again for your help, now to contact rcn about a similar issue. Do you think it might be a greylisting that verizon and rcn has put up that might be timing out the email servers?  

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 5
RE: NDR 4.4.7 Errors - 12.Mar.2007 1:25:11 PM   
uemurad

Greylisting is certainly a possibility.  The only way to know for sure is to contact RCN and find out about their policy and how to determine if you are on a greylist or blacklist (and what you can do about it if you are).

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 6
RE: NDR 4.4.7 Errors - 12.Mar.2007 1:35:05 PM   
klimaxreturns

Thanks for the help uemurad. Greatly appreciate it. If I were to have more problems with exchange would I be able to contact you directly on those issues? Thanks again. 

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 7
RE: NDR 4.4.7 Errors - 12.Mar.2007 1:46:08 PM   
uemurad

I'm flattered by that, however I contribute as I have available time (in real life I'm just an Exchange Admin like most everyone else here).  I'd hate to be unavailable when you are in an urgent situation.  Please try searching the forums first, then posting if you can't find an answer.  There are many others here at MSExchange.org whose expertise I would trust with my own systems.

That being said, you can send me a private message, but I can't guarantee how soon I can reply.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

Post #: 8
RE: NDR 4.4.7 Errors - 12.Mar.2007 1:50:11 PM   
klimaxreturns

Thats good enough reassurance for me. Thanks.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 9
RE: NDR 4.4.7 Errors - 22.Apr.2007 9:25:09 AM   
Cary_Shultz

Klimaxreturns,

I am sure that this issue is resolved but I wanted to throw in my two cents worth.  We have a couple of environments that are pretty plain-jane.  Running Exchange Server 2003 SP2 with IMF v2 enabled (some make use of AppRiver while some do not).

Anyway, in two of our environments the users were receiving the "message Delayed" message about 44 hours or so after initially sending e-mails to @aol.com or @juno.com (and others...some of the ones that you mentioned as well).  Then, at about 48 hours after initially sending the e-mails they would receive the 4.4.7 NDR.

In every instance it was simply the fact that we did not have an rDNS entry.  If you look at AOL they have some nice tools (hard to believe that I am saying something nice about AOL) and I was seeing NXDOMAIN when using their rDNS tool.  Another great resource for this is dnsreport.com.

Anyway, once I contacted the ISP (it has to be done with the ISP - regardless...well, in my experience) and they created a PTR record all was golden again.

Initially, however, I used all the normal troubleshooting techniques - try to telnet into the AOL mail servers or into the JUNO mail servers, enabled SMTP logging, check the RBL services, make sure all of your machines have A/V installed and updated, et al).

HTH,

Cary

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> NDR 4.4.7 Errors Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter