• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

EDB Physical Size much larger than Logical size of mailboxes

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> EDB Physical Size much larger than Logical size of mailboxes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
EDB Physical Size much larger than Logical size of mail... - 16.Mar.2007 10:26:17 AM   
NitroKid

Hi all

We have only Exchange SP1 installed at the mo (an SBS 2003 server). I know all about SP2 increasing limits, but we havent had time to test before implementing it yet...

Anyway, Last week I got a message saying that the IS had been dismounted due to us exceeding the limit of 16GB. I looked at the EDB and it was 15.2GB and the STM was around 1.6GB.

I got a a couple of big users to archive stuff, and did a offline defrag. We managed to get the edb down to 14.2GB and the STM to 1.5GB. However, when I go into system manager and check each mailbox size, they all add up to about 8gb in total. So my question is that when I shrink the physical size, where does the extra 6gb come from?!

I am planning to upgrade to SP2 this weekend, but that will not detract from the fact my store is eating storage space for no apparent reason. It will get to the point where my backups will suffer, capacity-wise

Cheers
Post #: 1
RE: EDB Physical Size much larger than Logical size of ... - 17.Mar.2007 5:28:48 AM   
manojp

Nver the less you clear stuffs when it reaches the 16 GB limit.. you gota check the below things

1. Did the online maintainence run? event id 1221
2. What free spae does it show?

It is always recommended to se the deleted item rention to 0 for all . after you delete things. Wait for the online defragmentation to complete. Check the free space, then run a offline defragmentation.

If the issue persists run a eseutil /ms command on the database and pipe it to a .txt file. It will tell you the actual free space you have.

ESM would not be the right place to check the actual data.

You can run exmerge . am not saying to completely run the exmerge... just initate it and it will show u the actual data and the required free space to complete it. With that u can come to know the free space.

if nothing works, you can dismount the store.. Get the store to the Recovery storage group. and mount the production store with a blank store and merge the mailboxes back to the production store in real time.

Regards,
manoj

(in reply to NitroKid)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> EDB Physical Size much larger than Logical size of mailboxes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter