• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Reading PF body from a service

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Reading PF body from a service Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reading PF body from a service - 20.Mar.2007 10:47:07 AM   
lianaent

Hi,

I'm sure thousands have asked this question before, but I can't seem to find any of their answers.

I'm running a service that is supposed to read a certain public folder periodically for new emails. This is on an Exchange 2003 server.  The service is written in vb.net and run from a Sharepoint 2003 server.  The body of the emails is always in a certain format, so when a new one comes in, the service parses out the info I need and creates an entry in a Sharepoint document library.  It should be totally automated.

What's the best (only?) way to do this?

It used to work, but then MS made the email body "secure" (apparently you can do anything you want with any and all aspects of an email except read the body!).

Then I found Redemption, which worked for awhile.  I don't know why it stopped working - could be due to any of 100's of updates to various applications and systems.  I want something that will always work, of course.

I tried creating a form in Outlook, but apparently you can't create a form to retrieve, only to send.

Someone suggested WebDAV, which I began to study.  But, so far I have not been able to find anything in WebDAV for retrieving an email body, though I may have missed the key ingredient in their thousands of elements, properties, etc.

Someone else suggested writing an event sync on the Exchange server itself, capturing the information and perhaps posting it to a database that can be read by the service, or Sharepoint directly.  Great, but I don't have access to it.  I might be able to gain access through the powers that be for this, but I'd like to know first if that's a viable option, and maybe a clue as to how to go about it.

HELP!

Thanks,
Larry
Post #: 1
RE: Reading PF body from a service - 20.Mar.2007 12:49:28 PM   
lianaent

Holy Guacamole, I think I got it!

And I only looked at WebDAV for the first time yesterday!

I think posting a question is good karma - I always figure it out within a day of posting.  Anyway, here's the key:

strQuery = "<?xml version=""1.0""?>" & _
"<D:searchrequest xmlns:D = ""DAV:"" >" & _
"<D:sql>SELECT ""DAV:displayname"", ""urn:schemas:httpmail:htmldescription"" " & _
" FROM scope ('shallow traversal of """ & strRootURI & """') " & _
" WHERE ""DAV:ishidden"" = false AND ""DAV:isfolder"" = false" & _
"</D:sql></D:searchrequest>"

It's the urn:schemas:httpmail:htmldescription property that gives the body (and everything else) of an email.  It's in html format of course, but maybe there's another version that gives a plain text view of it.

Anyone else struggling with this?  I'll gladly give you my full code.

Larry

(in reply to lianaent)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Reading PF body from a service Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter