• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Moving Exchange 2k3 to new server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Moving Exchange 2k3 to new server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moving Exchange 2k3 to new server - 20.Mar.2007 12:26:34 PM   
zr07

Hello all,

I am planning to move my Exchange 2003 server onto a new piece of hardware as well as reusing the old hardware as a front-end server (serving OWA from a DMZ).

I would like to know what is the best and least painful (as little down time as possible) way to do this.

My current plan involves adding the new server to the existing Administrative Group, move the mailboxes over (as well as following other steps in the article titled "Removing the first Exchange server"), then reconfigure the original server to function as a front-end server.

Currently I am reading up on a couple of guides but would like to see if you guys have any suggestions.
Post #: 1
RE: Moving Exchange 2k3 to new server - 20.Mar.2007 3:51:28 PM   
mark@mvps.org

http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxa.htm will give you the steps to go from one server to another.

However, do not ever put the OWA/FE server in the DMZ. It is not recommended and opens up far too many holes in the firewall.

If you insist on putting a box in the DMZ you must make it an ISA box and either have another box for the FE or not bother with the FE at all.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to zr07)
Post #: 2
RE: Moving Exchange 2k3 to new server - 20.Mar.2007 3:55:06 PM   
dloweqsc

Your on the right track.  It's pretty easy.

Moving mailboxes is slow so depending on how many and the size, it may take a couple of nights to move them.  It's good to be a pr*ck and really harp on users to delete their deleted items and clean up their mail items, including large attachments .

Get the second server working, decommision the first one, then blow it away and start with a clean security footprint for the OWA front-end.  Invest in a real 3rd party certificate (godaddy.com is pretty cheap) and run the security configuraion wizard to lock down the OWA box.

Darryl

(in reply to zr07)
Post #: 3
RE: Moving Exchange 2k3 to new server - 20.Mar.2007 5:39:35 PM   
zr07

I will be placing my FE/OWA box in a secured zone that is segregated from my main network through a firewall with multiple interfaces. My main network and this secured zone are both behind the firewall. I will then block all traffic coming into this secured zone, specifically the FE box and only allow only http & https traffic to this box. My BE box will reside on my main network. SMTP traffic will filter through my mail gateway (hardened Linux) then continue on to my BE box. A rule will be created to allow only necessary traffic (still don't know which traffic to allow yet and I would appreciate any suggestions) to flow from the FE box to the BE box as well as my domain controller.

Since my original post, I found this article which pretty much describes what I would need to do: http://www.amset.info/exchange/migration.asp
However, the link suggested by Mark added some very helpful steps thus I will be utilizing both articles for my migration plan (I 've successfully used the Ed Crowley server move method in the past for my Exchange 5.5 migration from an SBS environment).

Now, here's a couple more questions I have:
1) What is the difference between an Exchange FE box vs. a dedicated OWA box? I mean, what other services will need to be running on the FE box? OMA & Activesync? I will need both of these services to run on this FE/OWA box in addition to OWA.

2) When I place the FE box in its own secured zone, what traffic do I need to allow between it and my BE box. What traffic do I need to allow between the BE box and my AD server?

3) My entire information store (public & private) is about 14GB (pretty small). I'm thinking 4-6 hours should be enough for the synchronization over a 100Mbps connection (everything except mailboxes). Is this enough time or should I plan for more? I plan to use the "Send hierarchy" and "Send content now" command to sync the data.

4) Can I move user mailboxes while both servers are active? I plan to keep my old Exchange box online for at least 2 weeks in order to properly redirect all laptop/remote users.

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 4
RE: Moving Exchange 2k3 to new server - 28.Mar.2007 6:19:03 AM   
ashoksty

I have once shifted the Ex-server 2003 from one hardware to another with following method:

Let sys-a be old and sys-b be the new one.

1.Take a system state backup of sys-a (use ntbackup utility)

2.Restore the same on sys-b only after the installation of 'win2003server+Ex-2003' along with whatever service packs on sys-a.

3.Go to sys-a, stop the service 'Microsoft information store' and then copy the folder 'MDBDATA' on to the requisite folder in sys-b. I mean to say that to replace 'MDBDATA' of sys-b with that of sys-a. (Remember to stop the above said service in sys-b as well, while copying the folder.

4. Just start the sys-b, that's it the new ex-server sys-b will start functioning.

I have done this successfully and am running the new one without any problems.

Regards
Ashok Setty

(in reply to zr07)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Moving Exchange 2k3 to new server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter